2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (36251, Carey, Bruce In Philly, bobrunyan, c++, Buzz209, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 1,370 guests, and 386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by ErfurtBob
What piece is F-I ?
It isn't Chopin's racing car, but is often played as if it is. whistle

Whilst the lyrical middle section is often sentimentalized........(as in the pop song that came out of it).

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by ErfurtBob
What piece is F-I ?

As for the question: please relax dude. It's a hobby, not forced labour. You sound like you want to be a concert pianist in one year. You're reaching for the impossible. Take it easy.

It is Fantaisie Impromptu.

A
A
IMHO it sounds like burnout, 6 hours a day is an awful lot. And perhaps you have reached a new plateau in your progress? That is so common in any ongoing learning, and extremely frustrating. I have been feeling rather like that myself recently. I felt like things were really humming along, and then BAM!, it's like I can't even find Middle C! crazy At that point it's time to close the lid, tidy the music, and do something else until the desire returns.

Please give yourself a little time off before chucking out your dear piano.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." – Sir Winston Churchill
Hi OP,

It appears you are biting off more than you can chew...

1. Why not break your goal into smaller achievable goals in an hour of practice, rest, then continue if you wish to (even gym rats take breaks between sets..)

2. Or better yet, practice without the piano on your second hour of practice... In short add variety to your practice in order to avoid the so called 'plateau'.

3. It usually takes 5 days for something to get stuck in your head... meaning, it takes time for the brain to create new neural pathways for it to be second nature... like playing your first twinkle twinkle, it's already second nature.... smile Practice helps reinforce those neural pathways.
Unfortunately, it's a double-edged sword. It also takes time to break a bad habit... like your gregarious nitpicking of self and that nefarious practice cycle!

Last edited by josh_sounds; 08/01/21 09:57 AM.

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
L
L'Orfeo Offline OP
OP Offline
L
No.

The best musical decision I've made in the last five years is to cease playing brass instruments. The worst was to resume piano playing. I've repented of this and won't play seriously again. My wife is warming up to the idea of selling our piano. After all, it's worth twice as much as our car and otherwise would sit there collecting dust and losing value.

My path to musical enjoyment comes on small silver discs. It always has if truth be told.

Kawai K300
B
B
Originally Posted by L'Orfeo
The best musical decision I've made in the last five years is to cease playing brass instruments. The worst was to resume piano playing. I've repented of this and won't play seriously again.
People who buy a new musical instrument in order to restart playing, and who already know how to play, generally don't regret the decision (apart from regretting not spending more money on an even better instrument.....).

You are the first I know of, either in person or by reputation (to paraphrase Haydn's eulogy to Leopold about his son Wolfie) who's actually beating himself up for it. But perhaps it's all for the best.

There is (was?) one poster in ABF who has gone through several teachers in the same period of time, blaming them for everything and building up a mountainload of resentment....which is far worse.

My path to musical enjoyment comes on small silver discs. It always has if truth be told.
I'm glad to see that you still listen to CDs, rather than streaming or downloads. thumb

I made my first trip (by public transport) to London in two years last weekend, and was glad to see that a major bookstore there (which moved lock, stock and barrel a short distance down the road for the first time in about a century) has actually greatly increased its selection of classical CDs in its new location: everything from bargain basement CDs of old recordings no longer under copyright to brand new recordings. And its selection of classical scores in alphabetical order of composers, filling up a few wall spaces, is still present and correct. Needless to say, I bought a few (both CDs and piano scores)....

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Looks like a great decision. In addition to the money, it will help you to stop the whining. Take Care.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was with a music group before the C-19 lockdown. We played a lot of church music (slower pieces). I don't have to show off by playing the most technical pieces. I just need to learn the notes.

Some of the pieces I'm playing can be challenging but I prefer to stay away from the ones with a fast tempo like the 1st or last movements of Bach Concertos in Allegro or Presto. The pieces I'm working on have a slower tempo: Moderato, Andante, Largo & Grave including movements out of Handle Suites in Largo, the slow movement "Arioso" from the Bach Concerto in Dm (BWV 1059), Chopin Nocturne Op.9, #2. The Pachelbel Canon in D is a good piece to get into. Even Bach chorales are meditative and enjoyable to play.

Instead of pushing for speed, I enjoy playing slow pieces more.

Z
Z
Deal with frustrations is one of the most important hard skills that should be learned together with piano.

1970s' Petrof 125
youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY5TdJHAB6HAYYgdgQliww
recent added: Mozart k332 using music sheet and contains imperfections
R
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
R
Fantaisie Impromptu is quite a bit harder than grade 8. Why don't you attempt something easier but still challenging, such as a Schubert impromptu for example? I've always felt that grade 8 isn't that high a level, and you can reach grade 8 without having the necessary fundamentals to play advanced repertoire well. You need to focus much more on actual efficiency of motion, various shaping considerations, etc. FI is hard to do well. I've been struggling with playing it well since 7 months -- Chopin nocturnes seem like a piece of cake in comparison.

Get a teacher. It's fun to attempt difficult repertoire on your own, and can be quite satisfying. However, it's sort of ridiculous to expect to learn FI on your own, and then quit piano when you don't succeed haha. Again, it's not even about your skills having atrophied -- you wouldn't have been able to play it 30 years ago, in all likelihood.

L
L'Orfeo Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Looks like a great decision. In addition to the money, it will help you to stop the whining. Take Care.

No, I don't think it will stop the whining. I've decided to make this my new hobby as I'm rather good at it and there is always something to whine about.

Goodbye.

Feel free to talk among yourselves.

Last edited by L'Orfeo; 08/04/21 05:44 PM.

Kawai K300
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
get a teacher if you want to improve, and try to acquire some 'Sitzfleisch', without one cannot do.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
B
B
Originally Posted by L'Orfeo
No, I don't think it will stop the whining.
For some reason, this reminded me of when I was a junior (something) in my first job after university, and living alongside other juniors (something) where we worked together.

For no good reason other than that people kept bringing in sliced bread with different thicknesses and different degrees of staleness and amount of wheat grain, and no-one could remember what setting is required for what bread on the cheap primitive toaster (everything for communal use was cheap, for obvious reasons), toast kept getting burnt and setting off the fire alarm. It became almost a daily event, and we juniors (something) became pariahs in our neck of the woods (or building).

But as one exasperated junior (something) said: "If we can't burn toast in the kitchen, where can we burn them??"

Similarly, if one can't whine about piano playing in PW, where can one whine?

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Threads like this are not usually started in a vacuum. I think if more people would have looked at the OP’s previous threads, the responses would have been far different.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
S
Online Content
S
L’Orfeo - I am not sure you will read this, as you have said goodbye. On the off chance that you do, I know that this decision has not been easy and seems to have been brewing for some considerable time. You came here looking for support and have been let down.
I do hope that you continue to find enjoyment listening to music, and I very much hope that you can discover new activities that you find fulfilling and enjoyable. I am wishing you all the best. Please do not be too discouraged, and please do not be hard on yourself. Life is difficult enough as it is. I am glad that your wife is supporting you in this decision.

I self taught myself (via internet) for about 2 years. Last month I started investigating an in person teacher. I started 2 weeks ago with in person lessons. Tomorrow is my lesson and I had a bit of a meltdown tonight with frustration not being far enough along in this piece. I have a great deal of patience but this has been trying. At the end of the day, this is supposed to be for fun and personal enrichment and not worth a meltdown.

Good luck.

SunnyKeys - from Florida but not the Keys. Learning for 2 years.
Newbie - RCM Level 1 etudes, ABRSM Level 1 2019-20 Exam pieces. Sans exams.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SunnyKeys
I self taught myself (via internet) for about 2 years. Last month I started investigating an in person teacher. I started 2 weeks ago with in person lessons. Tomorrow is my lesson and I had a bit of a meltdown tonight with frustration not being far enough along in this piece. I have a great deal of patience but this has been trying. At the end of the day, this is supposed to be for fun and personal enrichment and not worth a meltdown.

Good luck.

Hi Sunny Keys
Please remind yourself that lessons are not a performance nor an exam that tests how far you have progressed in the last week. They just aren’t!!! but it takes a total shift in your perspective not to work during the week to prepare for the exam. Lessons are there to help you learn— but more importantly, IMHO, to guide you in fixing the problems. Since you don’t feel like you got enough done this week, why don’t you tell your teacher how you practiced and get suggestions? I bet he/she can offer some great tips.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
My situation is a bit different to what some (kind) respondents have assumed.

I learned piano as a teen and young adult, getting up to Grade 8 AMEB. Took it up again a couple of years ago and practiced about 6 hours a day (I'm a disability pensioner and have too much time on my hand). I gained a BMus from the Melbourne Con, part of Melbourne Uni, 25 years ago, but with trumpet as my instrument of study.

With this background and surrounded by a plethora or rather good pianists my expectations are rather different to that of some. As I don't perform the only person I need to please is myself. Rather than pleasing myself practice sessions become a metaphorical exercise in banging my head against a brick wall.

If you are playing for yourself, comparisons with other pianists are unnecessary. You are not in competition with them. My suggestion is to spend some period of time with repertoire that is less demanding technically, and focus on the interpretive aspects of the music. Focus on putting your own unique artistic stamp on the pieces. Then choose more difficult repertoire based on the reward you will get not based on achieving some technical milestone.

Last edited by Sweelinck; 08/05/21 03:29 PM.

Taking a break from Piano World but I will receive PMs.
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
The OP has left the forum and is planning on selling his piano. No advice, no matter how well-intended will be heard.

Maybe a little bit offtopic, but I also start to be frustrated with a different story.

Over 3 decades ago I played a little bit accordion as a child and so I know the basics of reading music sheet, written in two separate lines. And I know which key is which note.
So I bought a piano this January (covid, lockdown, yadayada) and thought I can teach myself to play. No online course needed, no need for a method book, no need for building up basics. Start right away with pieces. In the beginning I made some progress and was really happy about that. But now I feel I am stuck.

And the bad thing is: I discovered another youtube pianist, self tought like me. Playing a very similar repertoire as I want to learn. Seem to be proud of his videos, same as I was with my recordings. But honestly, his playing sounds awful. Almost awful as mine. With every listening my recordings suck more. And to make bad things worse: He is playing for over 10 years, now!
I suddenly got the feeling of looking into a mirror and see a future me sick

Self teaching Adult Beginner without method | Kawai CN29, Senn HD560s
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ted Greene. Not a pianist , but a genius
by Ubu - 09/28/21 07:44 PM
Upgrading my Roland KR-570(!) (c.1997 AD)
by ClemFandango - 09/28/21 06:15 PM
Garritan with Sibelius "sound set" ?
by RinTin - 09/28/21 03:13 PM
help teaching an autistic child
by sheilaju - 09/28/21 02:33 PM
Old Kawai MP6
by johan d - 09/28/21 02:04 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,338
Posts3,135,922
Members102,848
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission