2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
94 members (Adagiette, Amadeus M., Boboulus, anotherscott, beeboss, brdwyguy, Abdol, 20 invisible), 1,242 guests, and 446 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
U3piano Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
U
I just played a 1925 Grotrian Steinweg at a dealer, and I pretty much connected with it. I have played a more recent (and way more expensive) Grotrian grand one time before, and I loved that one even more, so.. I guess I like Grotrian grands.

But this one was nice, I loved the sound, and I quite liked the action as well, it played nice. I didn't even really look at the size, I think it was a 160cm model or something like that.

A few (amateur) observations:

- It had a great and long sustain, it was just lovely to let the notes sustain and listen to it. So..... grand like, just lovely
- It did not sound too loud. I actually like this, as I live in a townhouse, but I wonder if it's really a good thing or not? Maybe it should be louder? I think it still had a good dynamic range, but not as wide as a steinway B grand I compared it to, but that one was also 10 times as expensive. There were a couple of grands and that Steinway action felt the best to me as well, amazing piano. Back to the grotrian, I found the action well controllable and I could play soft on it easily. Not as good and crisp and like new as the steinway, but good. I liked it. Amazing how different actions can feel on different piano's. It feels like it's a totally different mechanism to me, when I compare different piano's.
- I didn't pay much attention to the looks, but it just looked good to me, only the keys were a bit yellow. The grand is build in 1925 but still had a pretty modern appearance.
- the bass didn't sound too "bassy", kinda hard to describe, but the lower notes were just low, it didn't really make you feel the bass, like for example a subwoofer can. But, I did not mind this, I just found the sound overall very enjoyable. A couple of other grands I tried sounded more "bassy" in the bass in comparison.

The dealer said it was restored about 20 years ago, but not by them.

I have been at this dealer before, and from those earlier times my experience was the piano's were not always in the best shape, but this time the grands I tried seemed to be in good shape. They played and sounded good.

Now the most important aspect that makes it interesting for me, it was not very expensive. I don't know what I could get it for exactly, but the first shop owner I asked said about €4900, but then another person said it was up for bidding starting at €3500.

Right now I own a 1986 yamaha u3. So i'm thinking maybe I could replace it with this nice grotrian, but.. of course it's much older. I know by now that if i'm really interested, I should have it checked out by an independed technician. But even then, would it be a bad idea to buy a piano of this age?

I think I would just enjoy a piano like this much more than my u3, even though I like my u3, it's a good piano, but the idea of a grand just always is in my mind, and I seem to love the grotrian sound.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
U
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
U
I think it looked like this one, I looked this up from youtube and it's also from 1925.

P
P
I'm not experienced enough to offer valuable input, but I do like the sound and the playing of the video you shared even if it is not the same exact piano.

500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
With the usual caveat - get an independent inspection of any used piano by a qualified technician before buying - I'd say, "GO FOR IT". I'm not an expert on pricing, and we don't know where you live, so I can't comment on the price. Sound is a matter of taste. Me, I prefer the Grotrian-Steinweg to Yamaha in general. As to the older GS vs the newer one, what you write could well be the case. I really liked an old Bluthner that I played in a concert in Waldkirch a lot better than the new ones I've played. The sound was "warmer", sustained better.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
U
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
U
Thanks Seeker.

I think it was actually a 185cm model, not a 160. I live in the Netherlands.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
It's a good piano with a light easy to control action. Good treble sustain. If you like it, get it.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
- "It had a great and long sustain, it was just lovely to let the notes sustain and listen to it. So..... grand like, just lovely"
- "It did not sound too loud."

Just like my antique Bluthner, which I love. It all sounds good. Get it checked out, and if you really like it, buy it.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Hope it works out for you —- indeed, it could really be a joy to play

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
7/8 Piano in European Market?
by Mohrpiano - 09/27/21 04:23 PM
Fine uprights overdamper actions
by tre corda - 09/27/21 04:13 PM
Internal pulse/beat/rhythm
by PatG - 09/27/21 03:26 PM
Avantgrand N3X vs Kawai Novus 10S
by PianoComposer - 09/27/21 12:58 PM
practicing with noise cancelling headphones on!?
by chopin_r_us - 09/27/21 12:36 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,322
Posts3,135,603
Members102,840
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission