2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3141836 07/30/21 11:25 AM
J
Jeff NC Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I've had some music theory in college about 400 years ago, and am basically a beginner piano player. I like to know the chords and structure rather than simply read notes (which I suck at, but I digress.) I'm learning to play said piece, and I'm confused about the key it's in and the names of the chords.

It's supposedly in D major but it doesn't really seem to play that way.

Also, I've seen online the chords listed differently. For example, right out of the gate I've seen the first 2 chords listed as G7 and D7. Then another source I just saw called the first chord B minor. Well, that's what I thought it was at first, but then I saw the G7 and D7 mentioned and I thought well, they must be considering the single bass notes together with chord, which I didn't know you would do. But as I play it's a lot easier for me to think of it as B minor because those are the keys you're actually hitting.

What's up?

D
D
It's a tricky piece! I'd say if it helps you to think to think of the 1st chord as B min, not G7 - then do it. Technically it is G7 because you have G in the base and b min in RH. But that distance between bass and a chord can be confusing, that's why I'm saying if B min is easier for you in the process of learning, think of it as B min.

Satie is an eccentric composer that likes to play with harmonies, tonalities to create the mood/atmosphere and he's pushing lots of boundaries in his music. It would be much easier to analyze composers from Classical era. I hope it makes sense smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Someone shared a link to a video analyzing Gymnopodie I... I think maybe that was posted here, I can't remember, but it I remember thinking that it was a really well-done explanation and the next time I played it (Gymnopodie) after watching the video, I thought it made things much easier.

Wait, I think I found it! Definitely watch this and see if it helps you.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks @ShiroKuro, that video is a gem!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
When using a pedal point, the harmony on top can be aligned with the bass or dissonant. In this case it makes sense to consider the first chord as a 7th. The harmony used by Satie can not be fully explained by the common theory. He is using a combination of major and D dorian and his chord sequence does not fully follow standard sequences. In particular he often uses the subdominant in place of the dominant, that allows to create a sense of tonal undetermination which is integral to his music.

Blüthner model 6

Gold Supporter until June  2023

Gold Supporter until June  2023
This "tonal indetermination" is kind cool, I think. I worked on this piece a while back and it was super fun. I continue to work on it so that it stays fresh and part of my "can play from memory at any moment" repertoire. One thing that struck me when I first learned it is that it ends in what appears to be D minor, leaving the listener thinking "is this really the end?" :-)

Talão

Yamaha U3 and Kawai MP11SE
My piano journey (playing since July 2019)
10 weeks into Duane Shinn's 52-Week Crash Course
J
Jeff NC Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the comments everyone, and the video too - all were helpful to me.

From the video: spends the first 7 minutes explaining how weird the piece is. Then 7:45 "OK now comes the really weird part" lol

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Glad the video was helpful! I don’t very often try to analyze pieces I play, but it makes a big difference for Gymnopodie.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
L
Thanks for the video, I need to purchase the full copy of the music now, I only know a truncated version. This video is excellent thanks again for posting.

Piano:Roland FP30X
Casio CT-S1WE
Arranger: Yamaha PSRS970, I have sold this, not decided yet to replace it.
Plus Native instruments VST Noire etc.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
When I first listened to this piece I absolutely loved it and heard it on loop several times.

When I picked up this piece to learn and practice, I hated every single atonal chord and the demand for stretching and precision.

I kept pushing through for about a month and when everything finally came together for my first decent recording of this piece, I decided that this was an absolute gem of a composition by Satie! I was happy I didn't give up.

I don't have anything more valuable to input - that video is a great help. I wish you the best with this piece!

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission