2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
88 members (Alfred La Fleur, brdwyguy, 36251, Andrew_G, Blague, benQF, 1957, 21 invisible), 1,025 guests, and 442 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
I have recently purchased a piano directly from the factory, and asked to voice the piano to be my specifications, they responded that i should send them my specifications and that they will see if they're willing to do it.

I sent them the following: "Piano to be voiced for a small room (3.8x4.8 squared meter) with mellow and warm sound"

Does this request makes any sense from a technician point of view? or is it too subjective to be applicable?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
It's definitely somewhat subjective. Whether it's too subjective I don't know. It would be safer but more costly to have the piano voiced, if necessary, after it's in your home. That way you can be there when the voicing is done, the tech can ask you how you like the sound as he proceeds, and the tech can voice it gradually.

What is the size and make of the piano?

H
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@NightShade, I'd suggest to post this question in the "Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum".

I reckon the people over there better match your question.

Cheers and happy voicing,

HZ

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
It's definitely somewhat subjective. Whether it's too subjective I don't know. It would be safer but more costly to have the piano voiced, if necessary, after it's in your home. That way you can be there when the voicing is done, the tech can ask you how you like the sound as he proceeds, and the tech can voice it gradually.

What is the size and make of the piano?

Its a Kawai GX2.

Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

@NightShade, I'd suggest to post this question in the "Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum".

I reckon the people over there better match your question.

Cheers and happy voicing,

HZ

Should i cross post on that forum too?

Online Content
Yes, it's OK to occasionally cross post it two forums are relevant for t topic.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by NightShade
[...]"Piano to be voiced for a small room (3.8x4.8 squared meter) with mellow and warm sound"

Does this request makes any sense from a technician point of view? or is it too subjective to be applicable?

To me, this sounds too subjective and too vague to be helpful. The factory technicians may know the size of the room, but they won't know its acoustic characteristics, how it is furnished, where the piano will be placed in the room relative to possible reflective or sound-absorbing surfaces, doorway openings and the like.

Optimally, should not the piano be voiced "to the room," i.e. after the piano is in place and has acclimated to your home environment.

If you bought this piano directly from the factory, that assumes that you do not know how the piano sounds now before voicing and regulation. How can you be assured that a factory technician's "mellow and warm" corresponds to your idea of those terms?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
I think they would correctly infer that you want it mellower than normal, but one problem would be that they won't know how much mellower. Slightly? Significantly? And, as others have noted, they won't know your room's details beyond the dimensions.

Anyway, assuming the ship has sailed, just hope that it arrives having been voiced to your satisfaction! If not, the worst case is that you have it voiced in-home anyway.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
It is possible that there is a useful range of voicing. Some makes come with warnings that the wrong voicing can remove all of the designed virtues. Trying to make a Bosendorfer or Bluthner sound like a Steinway, for example. But if there is a narrower range they're happy to work in, you can start with one end of it. If they overshoot, you can always adjust later.

[My wild-ass guess, based on reading a few things and thinking about them.]

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I think it is reasonable to make such a request. There will be a range of tonal renditions the piano is capable of, and the general instruction will guide them to which part of that range to target.

This does not mean it will match what you have in mind when the voicing is done. If you buy a piano without having played it, you will have to live within its range of possibilities whether or not your preferred sound is in the range.

Whatever the vendor does to address the request, it would be normal if there were some additional voicing issues to address after the piano acclimates to the room in which you will have it.

Primary keyboard interests: Early baroque through early romantic repertoire, blues improvisation.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think Mellow and warm is fine although I would not have said for a small room.Kawai does make quite a number of pianos.I do not think they would change the voicing very differently from other the other pianos.
I thought the GX is rather a mellow sounding piano?

My piano is my friend and my voice to the great unknown, out there..
D
D
So, you're buying a piano "...directly from the factory"? If so, how could you possibly know whether or not it needs to be voiced to accomodate the accoustics of your room/home? And if they get it wrong and your piano sounds like it's underwater, then what?

I would first have your piano delivered, set up, and acclimated in your home, then play it and decide if it even needs to be voiced. Any piano technician worth their salt should be able to accomodate your request whether it be mellow or bright.

1979 Yamaha C7D

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha N2
by RedmondSteve - 09/17/21 02:08 AM
CSP 170; action; user friendliness; discontinuation
by RedmondSteve - 09/16/21 11:24 PM
Kawai ES920 bug report + question
by Chummy - 09/16/21 11:14 PM
Weird bar in Henle 3rd scherzo
by chopinetto - 09/16/21 10:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,147
Posts3,132,907
Members102,756
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission