2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
33 members (Amy H, Alfred La Fleur, clothearednincompo, cygnusdei, CianistAndPomposer, AlphaBravoCharlie, CyberGene, Animisha, Cutec, 7 invisible), 683 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3142115 07/31/21 11:58 AM
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 30
O
Omobono Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
O
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 30
I have just returned from a drive to Reigate, home of one of the Bonners shops. I thought I would write my impressions on the pianos I have tried.

Please note that: 1) I am largely inexperienced, 2) I do not have anywhere near the degree of sophistication of some of the worthy posters on this forum, and 3) I was mainly interested in the way the pianos look and feel. I am persuaded my Sennheiser HD700 (worth every penny) will make any of them sound good enough for me. Also, and 4), this was a Saturday morning with a big din almost all of the time. I really could not appreciate the nuances of the piano sounds. I have no doubt at home it would be different. It would also be too late wink.

So, without further ado, my thoughts on the following digital pianos:

Casio GP-510.
It would look good if it wasn't for the tacky plaque. Someone at Casio needs to lose his job over this. Also, the piano looks fairly tiny "in the flesh", with the nearby CA99 showing more height and - seemingly - "presence", if you know what I mean. The gimmick of the moving hammers is partly covered by the music stand, which by me would be on almost all of the time. Still, it's different and, I think, a nice idea. The sound was... anemic, and the opening at the front/top did not help, either. The saleslady told me that this is something they want ( = "cap" the max sound before distortions kick in). This would indicate that the piano can play at near max volume without much distortion. I am not sold on the argument. As to the quality of the sound, I liked the Bechstein most, followed by the Steinway, with the Boesendorfer a clear third. Of course, I think there would be a lot to work and tinker with, and it is also likely that, in a room, the power will appear adequate. Also, I would play with earphones, and for what I coudl appreciate the Bechstein (= "Berlin") sound would be quite satisfactory. The GP510 was the only DP in the room to have a messing ornament in the front feet, which I found very elegant. Alas, the plaque screams "tacky!" to the other side of the road and ruins everything. The action was very good, and I mean very good. I felt immediately at ease. It clearly wants to be an acoustic piano action when it grows up. Effortless. Could have played for hours. All in all the best part of the piano. Polished Ebony finish looked very classy in person but, again, a bit "little brother" near the CA 99.

Kawai CA79
They had a rosewood one that I found not to my taste. I did not like the action (but see below). It was a bit toy-like, like playing something plasticky. Mind, it was better than my CN24's, but after the GP510 it felt underwhelming. This is inexplicable to me, because the action of the CA99 sitting beside it was flawless. I suspect that the way clients who know more than me tinker with the settings may influence the way the action feels when I play it? I always switched the piano off and on, but I don't know what settings are saved and what the standard ones are. The CA79 had a strange screen on the left. This looked like a cheap video toy for a kindergarten boy. It took forever to boot (but you can start playing before it has finished), it wasn't near as fast or immediate to use as a mobile phone (which you would think it is; but no, it's more child's toy speed) and, when you started playing, it became of a very strange "hey, I am still here"-gray colour, probably something made extra to annoy the user. Several people should lose their job over this. I would get accustomed to it like one gets accustomed to an unpleasant neighbour: you learn to live with it, but you'll never like the situation.

Kawai CA99
There was an example in beautiful Polished Ebony. The height gave it more "presence" than the GP-510 near it. However, the fact that the top is partially covered with fabric makes it look, in my book, way less stylish than the others. The action was a dream, which I found inexplicable considering the CA79 near it (and it switched between the two half a dozen times). It was, for lack of a better word, luscious. It was scrumptious. The sound was also (for what I could appreciate in the midst of the din) fuller, more "adult" than in the CA79 which, in comparison, sounded "thinner" and I think this was the soundboard at work, although it's difficult to say how both would work in a normal room. But the selling point of this piano is the action. Coming from a digital piano, I was instantly at home, but it played in such a way that I think all but the most proficient acoustic piano players would not have any issue with it. It had, if you allow me, half deflated tyres (acoustic seem to me to have "deflated tyres" compared to the "bouncier" keyboard I am accustomed to), it was "just right". Obviously, same kindergarten screen as the CA79 with the same issues.

Yamaha CLP785
I had already played this at Yamaha London. Can't understand why some people call the action hard. It felt just fine to me. It lacked some of that luscious tactility of the Kawai (the Kawai tries harder not to feel like a digital action, it felt more similar to the hybrids, see below), but it wasn't worse, just different. It's probably the action I would like most if I did not have in my head this idea of how an action "should be" (= like an acoustic piano's). Kudos to Yamaha, because the more I played it the more I liked it. I'd say it's the top if you like the way a digital action really behaves and are not interested in the way "it should behave". The sound was also impressive, it had the muscle the Casio lacked and, it seemed to me, a more recognisable, clear Yamaha sound (I forgot to try the Boesendorfer voice). I could live with this piano for the rest of my life. User interface made from adults for adults, very sleek with the smooth surface (no buttons) that goes out of the way when you play and reactivates itself at the touch of a finger whenever you want to. Really elegant and effective. Polished Ebony looks, to me, much better than the CA99 because the top is all polished, no fabric. It really is a great sounding, great playing instrument, which looks better than the Kawai (no fabric on the top and and sensible UI), but is perhaps, perhaps, just not quite as good in the action department, where the CA 99 really excels. Note: with the headphones they gave me, the "binaural" stuff was **just not there**. Nice sound, but I though I would be blown away. That was a big 404 error (=not found). It might change with better headphones, or in a different environment. But if you are interested in the Nu1x (below) I woudn't make much of the fact that the Boesendorfer voice has no Binaural stuff.

Yamaha NU1X.
I had tried this in London, too. Impression confirmed. I still prefer the CLP 785. This one plays more like an acoustic, but it's a tad too hard for my liking and I find the action of the CLP 785 more immediately talking to me, lighter, easier to play and live with. It's not one of my candidates.

Kawai NV 5s (I think).
The disappointment of the day. It's so beautiful it makes you ache and I really, really wanted to like it. The action is way too hard for me. Would I get accustomed? Why would I run the risk, for so much money, that I won't? The sound was beautiful, powerful, natural. Again, it looks like a supermodel. But it's not going to be.

Yamaha N1X
I had played this already and, again, impression confirmed. It plays very well, and I was, this time, way more accustomed to the "deflated tyres" effect. Could play it for hours. Beautiful sound. Not mad for the shape, but again I don't think this so important. The action is quite, quite good.

Kawai NV10s ( I think).
Wins in all categories but UI. I did not want to go away from that action, and I am most certainly not an expert of actions. To me it was better than the nearby N1X (switched to and fro several time) for something difficult to explain, I'd say immediacy, communication with the keyboard. I started to play it and we were instantly friends. It just made me feel "at home", and I don't even play acoustics.

Next message: the Rolands, availability, and general considerations.


“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 30
O
Omobono Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
O
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 30
Rolands. They are strange beasts, these ones. I tried LX 705, LX706, LX708 and HP704. The HP704 seems to have a very good value for money. I felt at ease with the action from the start. This is the same action of the LX705. The action in the LX706/708 was better (for me at least).
Common to all the Rolands (for me): they sound strange. Played in isolation in a Roland shop one might notice less, but near the others this morning I was left with a strange taste, like Coca Cola Zero if you know what I mean. This, for all of them and all the voices I could try.
Then there is the user interface: the LX 706 allows you to "draw" the keyboard cover so that you don't see the instruments; however, it leaves you with a strange "wooden bump" that still does not look anywhere like an acoustic piano. You just have this wood telling you "I am trying very hard not to let you see the user interface".
The LX708 is even worse: this is the flagship product and the UI cannot be hidden, at all. A sort of "curtain" (hopefully wooden) manually drawn over the interface would do the trick, but no, it has to be all in sight, all the time. I think the design is flawed, but more in the LX708 than in the LX705/6 or the cheaper HP704.
To me, the Rolands were Coca Cola Cherry, Coca Cola Light, and Coca Cola Zero. They try very hard, but they are never quite right.

Availability: the Rolands are the only ones available. I don't wait for consumer electronics, so there.

General considerations: coming from a CN24, and having tried the cheaper version of all these models, I can attest that one pays a lot for a relatively modest improvement. The CLP785 is excellent, but I think that a much cheaper CLP 745 can accompany one for many years without feeling that the instrument is holding the pianist back. In short, there isn't really this *need* to spend thousands of pounds to improve from the CN 24, because the CN 24 it's (in my book) 85% there already action wise. Similarly, after the CN 39 or thereabouts, you pay for a slightly better action, better speakers, nicer cabinets, but no game-changing features. The real game changer is the hybrid action and, if you ask me, only the grand piano one.

To me, this would mean that there is no urgency to upgrade as it is more of a "nice to have" than something that would change the way I interact with the piano. It might, also, speak for only upgrading when the upgrade is a noticeable jump (hybrid), but the NV 5 was not good for me and the N1X/NV10 are (particularly the latter) really expensive, plus space stays in the way for the small corner in the small room where I want the piano.

I will keep observing the market. What I seem to understand is that a purchase would be an expense that I make because I want to, not because I need the new piano to progress in my playing.

Hope this has helped

Thanks for your time

Omobono

Last edited by Omobono; 07/31/21 12:21 PM.

“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 841
H
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 841
Hello,

Originally Posted by Omobono
Thanks for your time

Well, let me say thanks for *your* time.

And thanks for an interesting report with striking metaphors and keen observations.

So, one observation on my side: For the looks and of course in particular the sound of the NV5S -- would you have been similarly over the moon with the action (which you weren't), then, would the NV5S have been your clear 'winner' of this Saturday morning?

I *may* make time somewhere this week for a similar reconnaissance trip, to a Bonners-like dealer where I hope to find an identical lineup of instruments.

Cheers and happy market watching,

HZ

Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 30
O
Omobono Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
O
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 30
Hi HZPiano.

If the NV5s had had an action more suited to me, I would have crowned it the best piano for my situation. Of course, the issue would have remained that, objectively speaking, it is much more money than the CA99 for a superiority compared to it that is not so marked, at all. However, in that case I would have started to look for reasons why the difference in price is justified or, at least, reasonable (that's generally what I do when I know I am going to buy the piano anyway.. wink ).

If we talk of a "clear winner" in terms of value for money, it gets more difficult. In that case, I'd say that the GP 510 still seems very good money for the overall performance and look, followed closely by the CA 99.

If we talk of objective winner, money no object, it was the Novus 10. That was the real McCoy and, playing it back to back with the N1X, it was, in my eyes, superior to it overall.


“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 744
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 744
When the NV5 action isn't calibrated right it can be tough. I had to call a tech in the past to fix it. After that, the NV5 action is close to one of the best actions i've ever had (including the NV10).


Kawai: NV5 | MP11SE
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 48
C
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
C
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 48
Did you try any acoustics? Curious on the NV5s (and NU1X) vs them as far as the action being hard. Really thinking I want to go the hybrid road vs the ca99 or clp785 for the sake of acoustic action… I’m not too familiar with digital actions anyway (just synths)

Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,351
9000 Post Club Member
Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,351
A lot of common sense in what you say. Funny thing is I always liked the CN24 and later, but I never got around to actually buying one.


"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 48
C
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
C
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 48
I guess I mean acoustic uprights vs the NU1X and NV5. Seems you did like the hybrids with grand action. Curious if it’s just uprights in general being too heavy. Trying to see if the upright hybrids are on par with acoustic uprights

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,631
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,631
Hello Omobono,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on these different instruments - very interesting read.

This is somewhat off-topic, however am I correct in thinking that, despite obviously being based in the UK (presumably for a number of years), you are not actually British?

Kind regards,
James
x


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 841
H
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 841
Hello,

Originally Posted by Omobono
Hi HZPiano.

If the NV5s had had an action more suited to me, I would have crowned it the best piano for my situation.

Thank you for your clarifications in this post. It takes the guesswork out of what I already suspected, including your remark on the NV10S.

Are you perhaps planning a second visit on a quieter moment? It is interesting to say the least how our impressions and preferences *can* vary from day to day.

Cheers and happy research,

HZ

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 414
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by Tyr
When the NV5 action isn't calibrated right it can be tough. I had to call a tech in the past to fix it. After that, the NV5 action is close to one of the best actions i've ever had (including the NV10).

Same here (K300 action which I think is the same/very similar). Very nice action, the main reason why I bought it, but the one I received needed regulation to fix slow keys pretty soon. I believe my K300 ATX3 may be from the same factory as the NV5 (Indonesia).

Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 30
O
Omobono Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
O
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 30
Hi all, I will try to give more explanations:

NV5: I told the saleslady how hard to play the NV5 was. She told me "yeah, it is harder than the NV10" with the air of the person who gave that answer a couple of times already. I do not doubt that the regulation of the action could improve things somewhat. However, I'd say that, more likely than not, it will remain more difficult to play than the ones on the N1X/MV10, for obvious reasons due to the physics involved. As things stand, I personally would not spend an awful lot of money to buy the piano, then extra money to have a technician come and regulate it properly, then run the risk that it is still not really what I like. At that point I would go for the CA99 straight (by a very close margin, the best "folded" action I have played yesterday, with the Yamaha and the Casio a very short distance behind) and live - hopefully - happily ever after.

Acoustics: I played shortly an upright that was in store, I think it was a Feurich but I could be wrong. I did this exclusively in order to get accustomed to that "deflated tyres" action feel before playing the hybrids (I wanted to also sample the hybrids as to their proper "acoustic action" qualities). This upright was nowhere as difficult to play for me than the NV5, but I could still notice that the "folded" actions of the digitals are easier to play for me. That upright played pretty much like the NU1X.

Mind, I also tried the NV5 at several volumes in order to see whether that usual "volume effect" would apply (volume is too low, you instinctively play harder to make it sound as you want it to sound, it feels heavy) but no, it was heavier to play, full stop. If it's a regulation issue, then Bonners lost a potential client for this piano because of this and they need to do it better (but see the answer of the saleslady above). Still, I would say that an awful lot of people, particularly those who have played upright acoustics all their lives, will live with it all right. I did not have to use a hammer, you know... It was just unpleasantly "unyielding" particularly compared to the hybrid grands and the digitals in the other room, which all try to imitate a grand and, I would say, do it rather well. Further confirmation of this: I found the NU1X also "harder" to play than the two hybrid grands, but not as bad as the NV5. Still, and coming from a Kawai CN24, when playing the NU1X I could not avoid thinking "I'll have the CLP 785, thank you very much".

Kawai James: I am Italian born and bread, but have been living in the UK for a while now. I try to write properly, but I will never be mother tongue.

Before I forget: I actually realised yesterday afternoon that there were no Dexibell pianos in the room (unless I really missed them; which is improbable considering their unusual shape). Not sure if this was a loss as I don't think that the Fatar action would have really managed to compete against Kawai, Yamaha and Casio, all three of which I found (excepting the CA79) quite good. Much as I like the "all-Italian" setup, I wil not travel far to try them until I find reviewers online who credibly state that it competes with the CA99 and GP-510 of the world.

As to coming back, I'd say not too soon. It was 1 hour to drive there and 1 hour 40 to drive back. Europeans are not so willing to spend a long time on the road like Americans are forced to do, so this was a pretty long trek to me. I might have done it again soon if decent availability had been there; but it isn't, so I won't. I drove all the way to Reigate to try the CA99 and the GP 510 (beside the Rolands), but I secretly knew I wanted to fall in love with the NV5.

It did not happen.


“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 414
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by HZPiano
I *may* make time somewhere this week for a similar reconnaissance trip, to a Bonners-like dealer where I hope to find an identical lineup of instruments.
HZ

Very curious what your experience will be. Keep us updated smile

Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 841
H
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 841
Hello,

Originally Posted by pianogabe
Originally Posted by HZPiano
I *may* make time somewhere this week for a similar reconnaissance trip, to a Bonners-like dealer where I hope to find an identical lineup of instruments.
HZ

Very curious what your experience will be. Keep us updated smile

That is, *if* I can find a day to do that trip 😀.

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 841
H
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 841
Hello,

Originally Posted by Omobono
... the best "folded" action I have played yesterday ...

By the way, these are *not* folded actions.

Examples of folded actions are Roland PHA-4, Yamaha GHS, and Kawai Responsive Hammer Compact.

Cheers and happy actions,

HZ

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 414
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 414
I agree, DP actions can be mechanically much more different compared to each other than acoustic ones.

If you make it to that store, make sure you compare the NV5 with its acoustic counter parts the K200 or K300. I am really baffled that someone can find the NV5 heavy, as my K300 quite light as compared to the acoustic K500 for example, and also compared to the Kawai's digital GFII Compact, both of which I played extensively. But my surprise is based on the assumption that the actions of the NV5 and K200/300 are the same (except for the hammers, but I assume they would be weighted the same), and perhaps they aren't. I have never played a NV5.

Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 744
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 744
Originally Posted by Omobono
Hi all, I will try to give more explanations:

NV5: I told the saleslady how hard to play the NV5 was. She told me "yeah, it is harder than the NV10" with the air of the person who gave that answer a couple of times already. I do not doubt that the regulation of the action could improve things somewhat. However, I'd say that, more likely than not, it will remain more difficult to play than the ones on the N1X/MV10, for obvious reasons due to the physics involved. As things stand, I personally would not spend an awful lot of money to buy the piano, then extra money to have a technician come and regulate it properly, then run the risk that it is still not really what I like. At that point I would go for the CA99 straight (by a very close margin, the best "folded" action I have played yesterday, with the Yamaha and the Casio a very short distance behind) and live - hopefully - happily ever after.

Idk what your problem with the action is. I just measured the weight on the middle C with a few coins on my NV5 right now and the key is pushing down at 56 grams. This is pretty good for an upright action.


Kawai: NV5 | MP11SE
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,631
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,631
Originally Posted by Omobono
Kawai James: I am Italian born and bread, but have been living in the UK for a while now.

Ah, I see. Thank you very much for confirming my suspicions. wink

Originally Posted by Omobono
I try to write properly, but I will never be mother tongue.

On the contrary, I think you write beautifully.

Cheers,
James
x


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 841
H
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 841
Hello,

Originally Posted by Tyr
... I just measured the weight on the middle C with a few coins on my NV5 right now and the key is pushing down at 56 grams. This is pretty good for an upright action.

That is a fine number and I'm glad to read this. Something must have been off with the particular one at Bonners' this weekend. And/or the busy racket going on there may have made it difficult to judge at that particular moment. This is guesswork of course -- for I wasn't there.

I'd love for the NV5S to be as lovely in real life as it appears on paper. Hope to 'meet' one before long.

Cheers and happy actions,

HZ

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 414
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by Tyr
Idk what your problem with the action is. I just measured the weight on the middle C with a few coins on my NV5 right now and the key is pushing down at 56 grams. This is pretty good for an upright action.

Just tried this on K300 and on my it is 61 grams to make the key move down. And 81 grams to get a minimal sound.The latter is on the low range compared to the digitals tested by sweetwater: https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/keyboard-action-and-key-weight-experiment/

Might be that the NV5 is even lighter than the K300, but it may also be regulation differences. I didn't have my action fully regulated, just a few black keys that were slow were fixed by the dealer. At the moment it is quite humid in my home ~65 % RH, so that may also explain the difference.

Last edited by pianogabe; 08/01/21 09:09 AM.
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 30
O
Omobono Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
O
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 30
Hi all again.

HZ piano, thanks for the clarification. In my ignorance, I thought that the digital actions are all folded to make them more compact, and the hybrid ones are those who, for obvious reasons, take more space. My head also spins at all the various names given to the digital actions (Roland is particularly wicked there), so I don't even try to remember their respective names anymore. Still, in my ignorance I corrected the saleslady yesterday, who thought that HD704 and LX705 had "almost" the same action, whilst I seemed to remember they do, in fact, have the same action. That action was good, by the way, and the one in the LX706/708 was better. A shame they should disappoint me in the design and sound...

Kawai James, thanks for the nice words!

Back to the NV5. I don't know what was the issue, either. But the issue was there, at least for me (remember: not accustomed to playing acoustic pianos!). Those who have been at Bonners in Reigate will know the setting: one small room, with the four hybrids there, one for each wall. I was the only one in the room and I could switch at ease between the pianos. There is no doubt in my mind that that NV5 was more difficult to play, noticeably more difficult than the NU1X, and was blown out of the water by both the N1X (which was as good as I remembered) and the NV10 (which was, so to speak, the superstar).

I think that what is at play here is that that example does have a regulation on the hard side (which could, therefore, happen to any piano I order), something the saleslady also noticed. However, it must not be so bad that it pushes off a lot of clients, then in that case Bonners would have given a closer look at things.
It may well be that, being accustomed to a digital piano that wants to imitate a grand piano, and therefore rather light to play, I am more sensitive than others to an upright piano action; whereby the NU1X still passed muster, but the NV5 didn't.

That was, frankly, the bad news of the day, as I drove there willing to fall in love and eager to start my NV5-planning for the post-covid phase (Christmas or beginning of 2022).

It did not happen. Why? Let me answer with a chap they made us study in years past:

nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior ("I know not, but I feel it happening, and it tortures me").

It is what it is and I will not start to rationalise away the bad (for me) playability that I did experience. I will, also, not drive another 2 to 3 hours in the hope I find the hybrid room free (which, on a Saturday morning, was a royal pain; I had to go back after lunch as a woman had monopolised the room for *hours*) and, this time, I can live better with the £5,700 diva. Either a better playable NV5 comes my way from some London Kawai shop post-pandemic, or that's it for me. The CA99 played beautifully and I could see myself playing both the CLP 785 and the GP-510 (both, in my book, more elegant than the CA99) for the rest of my life. I doubt that I would ever reach the limit of each of these pianos.

Still: Money and space no object, it would be the NV10 all right. That was the best experience I had.

Last edited by Omobono; 08/01/21 10:28 AM.

“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 744
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 744
Originally Posted by Omobono
Still: Money and space no object, it would be the NV10 all right. That was the best experience I had.

Whatever floats your boat. I sold my NV10 in favor to the NU1X and later to the NV5 which is my long term Piano now. wink


Kawai: NV5 | MP11SE
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 414
P
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
P
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by Omobono
There is no doubt in my mind that that NV5 was more difficult to play ...

I initially was under the impression that you found it heavier, but indeed you did not say that. Just more difficult. That might well be because on an upright you need to let the key return more before the next note can be played than on a grand action or a DP action. In recall that I needed to adjust to this as well when I switched from a GFCII action to my upright action, but that went relatively quick.

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,726
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,726
The CA79 and the CA99 share exactly the same action (and piano engine). But they have a totally different speaker system (the CA99 has a soundboard on the back). So, this is one of these cases where a different sound diffusion system could make you think the action is physically different...

Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 30
O
Omobono Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
O
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 30
Hi Pianogabe,
to be clear, more difficult because harder, as in: I had (or I thought I had) to put more energy in the keys to depress them. That, to me, was the difficulty. I did not experience any issue of notes not playing because I did not let them return in place. I also did not experience the same issue with the NU1X (I found it, again, harder to play than the non-hybrid digital, but not to the point of not liking it; I just liked the CLP 785 more).


“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,631
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 17,631
Originally Posted by Omobono
I could see myself playing both the CLP 785 and the GP-510 (both, in my book, more elegant than the CA99) for the rest of my life.

By "more elegant", are you presumably referring to the appearance of the instruments?

Kind regards,
James
x


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 30
O
Omobono Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
O
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 30
Hi KJ,

yes, I refer to the the appearance. In particular I refer to the fact, that I had already remarked upon, that part of the upper part of the CA99 is covered with fabric. In my eyes, the GP-510 and the CLP 785, with their all-polished ebony surface, offer the more elegant solution.

Kind regards
Omobono


“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,726
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,726
Maybe the title of this thread should be: "What is the most beautiful DP as a piece of furniture for my living room?". grin

P.S.: forgive me, I could not resist...

Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 841
H
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 841
Hello,

Originally Posted by Omobono
... part of the upper part of the CA99 is covered with fabric.

Aesthetically, this disturbed me a bit as well. On the other hand it is an essential part of the sound production which is, of course, top priority. And in that light I regard myself as nitpicking for giving any thoughts to the fabric panel whatsoever.

And as such, @magicpiano offers a nice correction (and I do not mean to the thread title) 😌.

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 93
C
Full Member
Online Content
Full Member
C
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 93
Great post Omo. Similar thoughts to myself. I will be going back for a second audition of all those pianos. Did you have a favourite amongst the Ca99, clp785 or Casio gp510? I thought the Casio sound was less convincing than the others but had the nicest action. Ca99 best sound but felt a bit toylike. Clp785 probably somewhere in the middle. Lastly, found the Nu1x the most authentic experience but felt slightly clunky in the action compared to the others. This could be just the mechanics of a hybrid system and could be a good thing I guess after time. Would you rate the Nu1x ' better' than those mentioned above?

Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 30
O
Omobono Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
O
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 30
Hi Cutec,

It's difficult to say because they were very close.
In my estimation the CA99 had the best action (by a little) but the worst user interface (by far) and I did not like the fabric on the top of the piano. I don't play the fabric, of course. On the other hand, I am not blind, either, and I would notice the thing every single time I enter the room, or even whilst playing. The beauty of polished ebony is that it has that beautiful polished ebony shine;). If I want a piano in polished ebony and then get that stuff constantly looking at me wink , I wonder... But hey, for others it will be perfectly irrelevant.

The Yamaha and the GP510 had both excellent actions, in my opinion only a tiny bit less pleasant than the Kawai, but were both (the pianos, not the actions) more aesthetically pleasing. However, the Casio was weak in the sound volume (see first post) and has that horrible plaque. The opening at the top is a nice little trick but again, if the Kawai sounds more powerful without the need for it... I found the sound quality of these three more or less equivalent at least in the noisy environment in which I tested, whilst I found the Roland sounds inferior to all of them, and it was not even close.

Of these three, my pick at the moment would be the Yamaha CLP785. It has nothing that I don't like apart from the price, and is at or very near the top in every department. The user interface is very elegant and, if you ask me, Kawai should look at it very carefully for their next DP generation.

I would not pick the NU1X and, to me, he is a clear fourth compared to the other three. This is because of the considerations about the upright action that I have written here in several posts. I do not doubt that the NU1X (and the NV5s come to that) would be perfectly satisfying for people not minding the different action (which I found slightly harder in the NU1X, and deal-breaking hard in the NV5s), but they are not for me. Also, the absence of the "Binaural" Boesendorfer in the NU!X should not, in my opinion, be a deal breaker because I did not find anything special or revolutionary in the Binaural of the CLP 785.


“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 93
C
Full Member
Online Content
Full Member
C
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 93
Thanks Omo. Will do a second audition and post my findings. The only downside of the clp785 seems it's price. £4k for a non hybrid action seems expensive when you could buy a Kawai acoustic k200 for roughly the same money. Or indeed a hybrid action for not much more.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 14,373
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 14,373
@Cutec: I get your point. But can you really buy a new upright for 4000 GBP?
Or a hybrid for that amount?

Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 368
V
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
V
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 368
Yep Mac: K200 PE is 3799 GBP or 4100 euros (incl shipping and VAT) - advertised pricing from one major online european seller. The ATX3 version goes for 2000 euros more.

Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 93
C
Full Member
Online Content
Full Member
C
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 93
Yes they are virtually the same price. If only I could accommodate the lack of headphones in the acoustic, surely much better value for the K200 which could in theory last 50 years with the right aftercare.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Getting tired of repertoire really fast.
by CianistAndPomposer - 09/19/21 06:01 AM
learning myself
by frighg - 09/19/21 05:07 AM
recommendations for how to learn a new piece
by gnossie - 09/19/21 03:53 AM
Help with rhythms!
by Amy H - 09/19/21 03:33 AM
Matching hammers to belly, impedance, geometry
by electone2007 - 09/18/21 08:25 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,180
Posts3,133,416
Members102,766
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine


© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5