2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
P
I am completely new to this. When you guys said "directly into iphone" did you mean just using the lightning cable to connect the usb port with iphone? Or we still need an adapter?

Originally Posted by Pete14
So, we’ve confirmed that it’s possible to record audio/video directly into an iPhone/iPad from the N1X’s audio interface (or other models with built-in audio interface). This is great.

Is it fair to assume that this can also be achieved from an external audio interface?

The idea would be to connect the piano’s line out (analog) into an external audio interface (Focusrite, Presonus, Zoom, etc...); then connect the interface’s USB to Host into the ‘Apple camera adapter’, and finally into the iPhone/iPad to record video and audio simultaneously.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
You will need an adapter (usually called “camera connection kit”) and a printer cable (USB-B to USB-A).

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I will access my N1X tomorrow… but there are a lot of time when watching YouTube on my iPhone, the sound came from the N1X speakers via Bluetooth !

Perhaps, recording a video can take the N1X sound directly from Bluetooth… I haven’t checked…

Searching « Bluetooth video iphone », I have found a video where moviepro has more settings than the plain iPhone recorder and should configure a Bluetooth signal.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 07/30/21 05:25 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
P
P
Thanks. So can we use a USB 3 camera adapter? From the manual, it says USB 3.0 cable is not supported but it is not clear if it only meant for the printer cable?

Originally Posted by CyberGene
You will need an adapter (usually called “camera connection kit”) and a printer cable (USB-B to USB-A).

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by pianissimo_
I am completely new to this. When you guys said "directly into iphone" did you mean just using the lightning cable to connect the usb port with iphone? Or we still need an adapter?

You will still need the Apple USB-A to lightning adapter if your using an iPhone. If your using an iPad Pro with usb-c you just need a USB-B to USB-C cable. And for android should work with USB-B to the phones type of usb. It might also work if you have a USB-B to lightning cable but might run into some trouble because there is sometimes not a correct cable so I would get the adapter.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Boboulus
Originally Posted by pianissimo_

You will still need the Apple USB-A to lightning adapter if your using an iPhone. If your using an iPad Pro with usb-c you just need a USB-B to USB-C cable. And for android should work with USB-B to the phones type of usb. It might also work if you have a USB-B to lightning cable but might run into some trouble because there is sometimes not a correct cable so I would get the adapter.

Just some words of caution regarding the array of designations for managing USB-N (number) versus USB-X (letter).

It may be easy for anyone to get mixed up when it comes to using variants of usb cables, plus or minus variants of necessary intermediate adapters, for the purpose of connecting any 2 usb devices, either of which may support one or more versions (-1, -2, -3) of USB speed while using -A or -B or -C or mini or micro or maxi or lightening or thunderbolt or any dramatic-sounding connector name that may come down the usb pike 🙂

I have an older ipad Host, 8th generation with a “lightening” port mainly used for charging the Host but recently has been connected thru an apple-branded “usb 3 camera adapter” that is in turn attached to an HP508 “peripheral” with an old-fashioned usb 1 “printer cable” ..... and it actually works 🤪 - midi data played on DP reaches GarageBand and the resultant audio line-out sounds through the DP’s line-in speaker system.

The aforementioned newer iphone host CAN be directly connected to a dp or other peripheral with a -C to -B cable, but, especially for newer ipads, you may want to consider getting one of those nifty docking stations that clamps onto the -C port and adapts it to one or more USB peripheral ports plus an HDMI port plus a headphone port, plus etc. , as this will provide some flexibility with managing multiple peripherals simultaneously connected to the newer -C ios Host.

USB-N can be -1, -2, and -3, and the number generally denotes the version of USB standard = successive generations of the technology/speeds, beginning -1.n then -2.n and more recently -3;

USB-X generally refers to the type of connector present on a now wide array of usb devices both “host” and “peripheral” that support a version of USB. With the original version 1, host devices such as PCs provide type A receptacles, and peripherals devices such as printers provide type B receptacles...... but these days there is a wide array of hosts and peripherals with -A, -B, -C, micro, mini, maxi, lightening, thunder receptacles.

Long story short, just because somebody can find a way to adapt/cable/connect two usb devices, each supporting some vintage of usb -N and -X, does not guarantee it will 1) work as desired or 2) not produce smoke. At one extreme, it may not work. At the other extreme it will work but not necessarily at the highest speed of USB 3 because one of the two devices is designed to only support an older USB speed.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
P
P
Hi guys,

I’ve stumbled across this forum by googling the answer to this very question. I have a Roland FP30 and I’m hoping to be able to record a video of myself playing using my iPhone 7 camera with the sound to the video recorded directly from my FP30 via as simple and inexpensive a setup as possible.

I’ve read through this thread and some other YouTube videos on my quest for a definitive answer, and unless I’m mistaken, the conclusion that I’m reluctantly coming to is that I’m going to need an audio interface, connected to my iPhone via a USB-A to USB-C cable linked to a camera adapter cable. And then abother connection from the 3.5mm headphone port on my digital piano into the audio interface.

At the beginning of my research I was hoping to just buy an authentic apple lead from lightning connector to 3.5mm jack. I’m still clinging on to the hope that’s possible, but I’m open to being told the cold hard fact that I need to accept the inevitable……… The thing that makes me still have a glimmer of hope is that the authentic apple lead with lightning to 3.5mm Jack says in the apple website that it is capable of both input or output so I’m kinda clinging on to the hope I don’t need to invest in the audio interface. I only play for my own entertainment and the videos are just for me to watch myself back and maybe send to the odd mate here and there so I’d rather not have to fork out if possible, but it would be nice to have a cleaner audio recording rather than losing sound quality from the Roland speakers and iPhone microphone.

Does anyone have any success stories with achieving what I want, with the setup I’m hoping for (without needing the audio interface I mean)

Thanks in advance guys 😀👍

Last edited by Philders; 08/01/21 11:59 AM.
P
P
Thank you everyone for helping. Here is my solution. I bought a print cable and a camera adpater from Amazon. Then you could connect your n1x with your iphone. And the n1x would be recognized as either an audio input/output -- You can do voice memo, video using n1x as a direct audio input. Or you can play pieces on your iphone through the n1x audio output. Here is the link of those products. Hope it could help others.

camera adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014VGHG0U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Print cable (per user manual, cable length should be less than 3 meters)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NH11KIK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, be sure to put your iphone in airplane mode. That would minimize any interference....

P
P
For anyone curious about how it sounds like. I uploaded a video here.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Wow, what a terrific performance 😲👏🏻

Glad you can sort it out.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Indeed!
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Wow, what a terrific performance.

P
P
i found the sound recorded on iPhone has a smaller variation of volume compared to output from n1x speaker; in other words, the p/f comparison is weaker. i don't know if it's just me. Any thoughts?

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Wow👏👏👏👏

FP-90x, PX-330
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
See if you can find an _uncompressed_ mode for recording, on the iPhone.

See if you can find an app that records in such a mode, if the "stock" recorder won't do it.

If you want to be sure it's _not_ you, get a second mobile phone, and load a "sound pressure level meter" app onto it. With that, you can compare what comes out of the N1X loudspeaker, with what the iPhone generates.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
J
J
Fantastic playing!

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission