2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
For those that don't care for Keith Jarrett how about John Taylor
John Taylor - Summer

Absolute master pianist and musician ,this music has such depth - actually this is not New age piano in any sense of the word and IMO Keith Jarrett should not be mentioned in any conservaton about it either.

Of course I am a bit biased, Keith Jarrett is my favourite pianist and John Taylor a close second cool

Jazztpt

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I thought classifying oneself as a "new age" player disqualified one from "best" anything - by definition.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazztpt

John Taylor - Summer
Of course I am a bit biased, Keith Jarrett is my favourite pianist and John Taylor a close second cool

Thanks for that jazzpt. I just came across your posting and listened to this piece. I haven't heard of John Taylor before. Really enjoyed listening to this piece and upon doing a bit of research see that he has a very extensive output of recordings both solo and with others. I shall listen to more of his playing.

I don't normally like music that is from one company that we find over here in England in "new agey" type shops- but this one was a real surprise, which I found in a run-down shop in the Lake District! It is entitled, "Piano by the Sea" and is by a company called Global Journey. The sound of waves is present throughout, but the eleven piano melodies themselves are all very different and pleasing to the ear.

A review is posted at www.piano-heaven.co.uk along with the opportunity to listen to one of the tracks in full.

Best Wishes to everyone.
Stephen

Well, if you like original contemporary piano music, I think you'll love Michele McLaughlin's new CD, 'Breathing in the Moment', containing fifteen melodic and very personal tracks. I love it, and have just now reviewed it for Piano-Heaven.

Definitely worth checking out!

www.piano-heaven.co.uk

WOW! Just been blown away by the incredible music of Jennifer Thomas- piano and orchestration-. Her new CD is entitled 'Illumination'. 73 minutes in length, and every one of the 17 tracks is superb. This is not gentle piano music- this is piano with attitude! The CD is reviewed at www.piano-heaven.co.uk and there are samples at the composer's website.

This CD must surely be in contention for a Grammy.

Best Wishes to everyone.
Stephen

www.piano-heaven.co.uk

F
F
for all you folks commenting on this subject, I would agree with a lot of what has been said. I am a pianist and I consider myself in the ranks of George Winston who is one of my faves by the way along with Liberace. Some have mentioned Danny Wright and if you like his stuff then I would think you would really like mine. I have 30 albums with some new ones in the works, I sing some and have written 3 albums worth of music which 2 are out currently. I feel a lot of the folks on this site like piano so, I think you would like mine since these are the people who have been buying my music since the early 90's and still do at festivals and shows. www.cdbaby.com/all/gerestimusic has a lot of samples and my site has 1 for each album but is the whole song. Look forward to hearing back from you as I accidentaly came across this site. Bob

Geresti The "Fish-n-Musician"
S
S
The original Windham Hill Piano Sampler was my intro to this music followed by Piano Sampler II and many of those artists have remained favorites of mine. I found the Windham Hill artists to have more depth in their compositions than say the Narada artists, whose compositions sometimes lacked development, were more superficially sweet yet not ultimately satisfying. I understand the charges made against this music, that it is mostly fluff and no substance, and this is often true. Nonetheless, there is some good stuff there too. Yanni, hover, to my mind is among the worst, can't stand his music. An exercise in vacuous grandiosity is the only way I can describe it.

There are many New Age radio stations on Web, it should help to specify this genre a little. IMHO, most of the videos in this thread have nothing to do with New Age. I can't stand them for more than 10 seconds, so they must be Jazz :-)

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
C
C
Dear All.

Laura Sullivan, now and forever. She's absolutely beautiful, to look at and listen to, she's ALREADY won a Grammy and her music's like starlight for the soul.

Closely followed by Mike Rowland. Who's made a unique album - 'Symphony of Light' with Jana Dugal. What's unique about it? The whole thing was made at Jana's girl's school, Wenhalston Hall. They used the girl's choir there, he's playing in the auditorium.... And they left everything in! You can hear the girls talking amongst themselves as they gather, ready to sing. You can feel all the atmosphere of every room of the great, old building, the muffledness of the auditorium, the giggling in the passageways, the sunshine through the windows' there, as is the creaking of the walls in ancient meditation. And the best bit isn't even the playing, it's the little bird at the end, chirping in the tree, with the girls coming out of class and going home.

And it's got a wonderful, 10-minute track on it with the Choir mixed into Mike's piano and synths, the ancient echoes of the building in the background, the contrast between the modern synths and the ancient building's wonderful.

Me, being weird, my fave. bit's the little bird at the end. Doesn't even know he's being recorded, just singing his heart out to summer. One of the greatest New Age albums, in its way, that.

It's on YouTube, give it a liste and tell me I'm wrong - but listen to the tracks in sequence or the magic doesn't work.

Yours resepectfully

Chris. Who loves all New Age music.

G
G
I totally agree that Keith Jarrett is a jazz pianist, not a new age pianist. But Todd Gustavsen, video links above, is a new age pianist. I was introduced to a bunch of new age pianists on my Pandora playlist when I started with the Brad Mehldau trio (not a new age pianist either, and embraces not only the jazz spectrum but can play classical as well). The thing is that jazz pianists can play in multiple styles, and sometimes they decide to put out material that could be considered more new age vibe. Here is an example from Alan Pasqua. Simple, relaxing, and eloquent, but certainly does not represent the scope of his abilities. BTW, rhythmically, not easy to play. But, again, is this really new age?

Last edited by gracegren; 08/01/21 01:31 PM.

Essex baby grand, Kawai ES-120, Korg Liano
Jazz, blues, Latin, and a touch of classical and new age.
G
G
Originally Posted by Danny Niklas
New Age is such a broad and confusing term.

I like Edward Weiss explanation:

New Age Music is gentle, melodic, and inspirational. It’s a music that relaxes the soul and rejuvenates the spirit – a journey of notes leading into a joyous mystery. The type of style that just begs to be composed and improvised

What a great definition. I think the biggest question to answer is: how does this make you feel? This was the song, by David Lanz, that created my interest in new age music back in the day. This is recorded from the original recording as a solo piano piece. Still one of my favorites.

Essex baby grand, Kawai ES-120, Korg Liano
Jazz, blues, Latin, and a touch of classical and new age.
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission