2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HoangCosmic
...it seems that Kawai's Ivory keytop wear out quite bad after time of heavy use...

I'm not sure this is 100% accurate.
Certainly there have been some reports of key wear among Kawai customers, however the exact cause is unclear, and may depend on the player's playing style or possibly even their individual physiology (e.g. the composition of oils and moisture produced by their finger tips etc.).

If you felt the need to replace the key surfaces on your second-hand CA65, that's perfectly fine, however I don't believe this procedure will be necessary for the vast majority of customers.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
H
Originally Posted by Harmless
Thanks Hoang (I can see the pictures). If the second picture is the end result then you've done a very nice job!
While it's good to know there's a solution, it's a pity that it's necessary.

Yes that's the end result
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Hoang: Those links to google drive require permission. The target items are not accessible.

I turned on the "linkfreigabe" option and I believe anyone with the link can view, you may try again?
Here is one more picture of my finished keytop, tryin to capture the "glossy" look
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RqtVIEQiyNX1Dl4pNZEvif2YU-nRrB9h/view?usp=drivesdk

Casio AP250 - Kawai CN24 - Kawai CA65 - Kawai CA67- Roland FP30 - Roland FP7F - Yamaha G2/Studiologic SL88 Studio
H
H
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by HoangCosmic
...it seems that Kawai's Ivory keytop wear out quite bad after time of heavy use...

I'm not sure this is 100% accurate.
Certainly there have been some reports of key wear among Kawai customers, however the exact cause is unclear, and may depend on the player's playing style or possibly even their individual physiology (e.g. the composition of oils and moisture produced by their finger tips etc.).

If you felt the need to replace the key surfaces on your second-hand CA65, that's perfectly fine, however I don't believe this procedure will be necessary for the vast majority of customers.

Kind regards,
James
x

Nah everything will eventually worn out, so that's normal I think? The CA65 is ~ 6 years old anyway, and I don't know what on earth the previous owner did. I deleted the picture of my old keytops so unfortunately I can't show you how bad they were, especially on the middle octave, and I was fine with it until it pull out dirt on my finger on some piece and that's so uncomfortable

Last edited by HoangCosmic; 08/22/18 01:12 PM.

Casio AP250 - Kawai CN24 - Kawai CA65 - Kawai CA67- Roland FP30 - Roland FP7F - Yamaha G2/Studiologic SL88 Studio
H
H
Thanks James for your response. I hope I don't have corrosive bodily fluids!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Well everyone has, to some extent. Part of learning to play the piano (any piano, real or digital) is to learn washing your hands before playing.

I always do before playing my grand. I am less careful when it comes to my digitals...

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
Did anyone get a resolution to this issue? I have a note into Kawai about excessive wear on many keytops on my instrument. I have had quite a few pianos/keyboards over many years and never had this issue before. Cheers Mike

Last edited by Michael Wright; 08/01/21 11:02 AM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
My CS-11 was showing wear at around 3 years, and I don't play *that much. I'm disappointed to hear it can't be polished out. I'd rather have a homogeneous plastic key that can be polished, but at least the keytops can be replaced.

P
P
Hello, PW !
I have a Kawai CA67, which I do use a lot, and I'm very fond of it as a second piano.
The scratches mentioned in this thread are definitely caused on my DP by my fingernails, but as a concert pianist, I know all about keeping them as short as possible, as well as clean. So there are obviously other factors at work here. I have also taught piano for many decades, and I don't tolerate long fingernails in my students.
I have used digital pianos for over thirty years now, and I have to say I have never had this issue with any other brand. In my opinion, the 'ivory touch' material looks, and feels, nice - out of the box, but it is simply not durable enough for intensive use.
It was only two years before I noticed significant roughness in the middle of the most often used notes of my CA67, and I fear the keyboard's days are numbered.
It doesn't help that I live in Iceland, so I wouldn't expect it to be an easy matter to replace the keys, but, just in case, I am wondering whether anybody here might have any suggestions...?
I notice Piano World has been sold, and I hope all goes well under the new management. Best wishes to you all.

Originally Posted by maurus
Well everyone has, to some extent. Part of learning to play the piano (any piano, real or digital) is to learn washing your hands before playing.

I always do before playing my grand. I am less careful when it comes to my digitals...

As a leading light in the Society of the Great Unwashed, (Males in Northern England) one might reasonably find your comments reprehensible if not indefensible.
You lot forgotten what it's like to be men?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by maurus

As a leading light in the Society of the Great Unwashed, (Males in Northern England) one might reasonably find your comments reprehensible if not indefensible.
You lot forgotten what it's like to be men?

This is an old thread resurrected by PianoRik.

I can't see a single scratch in any of the pictures.

I assure you that every single digital piano I had got scratched at one point. I have owned Yamaha, Korg, Casio, and Kawai. I really don't understand what these users are complaining about?!!!

We definitely need a psychotherapy section on this forum! It seems there are plenty of folks who are suffering from emotional difficulties!

If you're afraid of scratching your keyboard then don't touch it!

Everything you do in life causes wear and tear you know! When you eat food you wear your teeth! and when you go to the washroom you tear your other parts...!

Do you ever go to a doctor and show your bottom and say I went to the washroom and tore my bottom? or do you ever complain to god (if that exists) that my bottom seems not to have good quality?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission