2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
71 members (Bruce In Philly, bobrunyan, c++, Buzz209, brdwyguy, BlakeOR, 36251, anotherscott, 13 invisible), 1,384 guests, and 387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Batuhan
what's the point of calling it rondo in the manner of mazurka ?
Why not?

Chopin's greatest piece is a fantasy in the manner of a polonaise (or a polonaise in the form of a fantasy, depending on your perspective).

And other composers have composed pieces in the form of a pear, not to mention desiccated embryos.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Batuhan
rondo a la mazur is from the compositional perspective very primitive and ordinary comparing to other chopin pieces but have a nice melody and i dont understand why chopin didn't write it as mazurka instead of rondo what's the point of calling it rondo in the manner of mazurka ?
It's a rondo where the rondo theme is a mazurka so the title seems very appropriate.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Ballade Fm
Polonaise Ab

are my top 2.

Taking a break from Piano World but I will receive PMs.
Online Content
Surprised no one has selected Ballade No. 2 in F major.

That one doesn't get enough love - even though it is deserving.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Carey

My least favorite of the ballades because of the super "angry" main section.

OP Offline
When I originally made my list I was only thinking of solo works for some reason. I would have definitely included the Concerto No.1 otherwise. I wonder if other posters are only considering solo works since I didn't make that clear in my OP?

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

It is also my least favorite. The switching back and forth between the calm and turbulent sections started to get fatiguing after many listenings of the piece. I think the piece could have been shorter and labeled an etude.

However, I think I rate the Ab Ballade higher than some posters. I prefer it to the Gm Ballade, though not to take anything away from the Gm one. Both are superb.

I will admit that I've not explored the Mazurkas as much as the rest of Chopin's body of work. The teacher who had the most impact on me authored a music theory textbook, and taught a course on keyboard literature from a historical and theory perspective. He held that the Mazurkas were where Chopin did most of his experimentation and pushing of the boundaries, particularly with respect to harmony, but also with melodic form and structure. Chopin composed Mazurkas throughout his life, perhaps using them as testbeds for ideas.

Taking a break from Piano World but I will receive PMs.
P
P
Originally Posted by Sweelinck

It is also my least favorite. The switching back and forth between the calm and turbulent sections started to get fatiguing after many listenings of the piece. I think the piece could have been shorter and labeled an etude.

I wonder if Chopin had any thoughts about dedicating it to Schumann.
However, I think I rate the Ab Ballade higher than some posters. I prefer it to the Gm Ballade, though not to take anything away from the Gm one. Both are superb
i agree about Op. 47. There is something about that extended coda, so powerful and rhapsodic and somewhat like that in Op. 61.
I will admit that I've not explored the Mazurkas as much as the rest of Chopin's body of work. The teacher who had the most impact on me authored a music theory textbook, and taught a course on keyboard literature from a historical and theory perspective. He held that the Mazurkas were where Chopin did most of his experimentation and pushing of the boundaries, particularly with respect to harmony, but also with melodic form and structure. Chopin composed Mazurkas throughout his life, perhaps using them as testbeds for ideas.

It’s great to see this as this is of high interest and relatability to me currently. I neglected and underestimated the Mazurka category until recently. After practically a lifetime of thinking I knew Chopin via the other categories and one-offs, I finally know I shouldn’t have been dismissive. They are so special and remarkable, really everything that others have described. The only bright outlook now is to realize I have more than 50 pieces to study closely that were nearly all not familiar before.

I listed the Op. 56 and 59 sets above in the Top 10 favorites/ greatest. Before my recent ‘discovery’ I would have placed Sonata Op. 58 and Scherzo Op. 54 in those slots. Opus 41 and 50 are very appealing especially considering how they reflect Chopin’s evolution in writing from earlier adulthood to maturity. They really do mirror the exploration found in Chopin’s other compositions of his middle-late period. Some of them have an abstract quality, and some of the motifs have become instant earworms for me.

I would love to know which are others' favorites, and even not so favorite.

Online Content
Originally Posted by parapiano
I wonder if Chopin had any thoughts about dedicating it to Schumann.

I bet he did.......

https://armchairharmonist.wordpress.com/2016/05/17/musings-on-music-chopin-and-schumann-i/

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
ok, one more, as an absolute favourite of mine to play and to hear: étude in A-flat opus 10 nr.10.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
F
F
I couldn't name ten...

In no particular order:

1. Rondo alla Krakow Op. 14 (for piano and orchestra)
2. Scherzo in B minor Op. 20 [but only played by Horowitz or Darrè, since they play the ending scale in interlocking octaves.]
3. Scherzo in E major Op. 54
4. Ballade in G minor Op. 23

Pianist-in-training who changes his signature...alot.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCApZEtefyPogkULpO9BSMmw

I believe certain composers and their pieces in the less-played repertoire ought to be re-examined.
A
A
It is so hard to choose favorite Chopin pieces because I adore nearly all of his music. I do agree about the F major Ballade "angry" section though, it is so lovely and then suddenly feels like a punch in the face. It is actually rather upsetting to me. I particularly love the G minor Ballade and am working on it.

My current favorite prelude would be Op 28, C minor, because I can FINALLY reach that chord in the second measure without doing all sorts of contortions! grin

I love nearly all the nocturnes. Recently enjoying Op 55, No 1, F minor. It feels to me like Chopin was in a "funky" mood and it is fun to play. Also loving the challenge of Op 48, No 1, C minor.

The mazurkas fascinate me also, perhaps it is my Polish heritage? Current favorites would be:
Op. 7, No. 2
Op. 30, No. 1
Op. 33, No. 1
But I don't like to play Op. 68, No. 4, which I believe was considered to be his last composition. I have tried to play it and it is just too heartbreaking.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." – Sir Winston Churchill
B
B
Originally Posted by Adagiette
It is so hard to choose favorite Chopin pieces because I adore nearly all of his music. I do agree about the F major Ballade "angry" section though, it is so lovely and then suddenly feels like a punch in the face. It is actually rather upsetting to me.
I don't understand this dislike of extreme contrasts in music from (some) people. The second Ballade is my favorite, and the only Chopin ballade I ever learnt......because I love to play up the contrasts (and jolt complacent listeners out of their reverie wink ), and the final headlong section which ends in A minor is simply stunningly violent. (BTW, another of my favorite short pieces, Schubert's D899/2, also starts in major and ends in an angry minor thumb.)

That might be because of my hot (non-Latin, despite their reputation for hotness) temperament, which is why my username isn't Tranquillo..... whistle

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I am not sure i have a favorite and i dont know which are the greatest. But currently i am in his second sonata and it is certainly one of his most innovative works, if not one of the most innovative of the entire production of the high romantic period. In addition it is a wonderful piece of music.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by Adagiette
It is so hard to choose favorite Chopin pieces because I adore nearly all of his music. I do agree about the F major Ballade "angry" section though, it is so lovely and then suddenly feels like a punch in the face. It is actually rather upsetting to me.
I don't understand this dislike of extreme contrasts in music from (some) people.
It's not the fact that the sections in the F major Ballade are greatly contrasting that make me like that ballade less than the other three. Almost all of the pieces I chose as Chopin's greatest contain sections of great contrast. It's just the particular music Chopin wrote for what I called the angry section that I don't like so much.

F
F
I actually prefer the Ballade in F major, over the Ballade in A-flat and Ballade in F minor.

[insert self deprecating humor]
Of course, what do I know though? I play Edward MacDowell's pieces that aren't named "To a Wild Rose". [/end self deprecation]

In all seriousness though, I actually like the way Chopin wrote the Ballade in F. Of course, music and art, I have grown to realize over the years, is subjective, so people out there may not like Chopin's Ballade in F.

But, in terms of popularity, it still beats out some of the other ballades out there. (Not that popularity should ever be used as a measurement of worth, but let's just play along.)

How many times do you see Chopin F major ballade on a program in comparison to say... the Liszt D-flat ballade, the Liszt B minor ballade, the Grieg G minor ballade, the Faure F-sharp ballade, et cetera?

Last edited by Farazissimo; 08/03/21 02:03 PM.

Pianist-in-training who changes his signature...alot.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCApZEtefyPogkULpO9BSMmw

I believe certain composers and their pieces in the less-played repertoire ought to be re-examined.
Online Content
It's not the fact that the sections in the F major Ballade are greatly contrasting that make me like that ballade less than the other three. Almost all of the pieces I chose as Chopin's greatest contain sections of great contrast. It's just the particular music Chopin wrote for what I called the angry section that I don't like so much.
But the angry sections are so much fun to play - along with the coda. grin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Not sure if anyone else experienced this but I had listened to the ballades long before I obtained the scores and I was pretty surprised to look at that “angry” section in the F major ballade. I could’ve never imagined those were the actual notes pianists play 😀 If you play them slowly and distinctly, they are rather different than the final full-blown up-to-speed outburst that everybody plays. Makes me wonder if Chopin really meant such a huge contrast and a rather messy blur. Which is also the reason why it’s my least favorite ballade too.

Last edited by CyberGene; 08/03/21 04:08 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Farazissimo
IBut, in terms of popularity, it still beats out some of the other ballades out there. (Not that popularity should ever be used as a measurement of worth, but let's just play along.)

How many times do you see Chopin F major ballade on a program in comparison to say... the Liszt D-flat ballade, the Liszt B minor ballade, the Grieg G minor ballade, the Faure F-sharp ballade, et cetera?
For almost any piece of music with a commonly used title, I bet one can find similarly named pieces that are performed less. For example, one can probably find other pieces named "ballade" that are performed less than the Grieg Ballade you mentioned. But I don't think this proves anything except the obvious fact that some pieces with the same name some are more popular than others with that name.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Does NOBODY love Op. 49?

SRF
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ted Greene. Not a pianist , but a genius
by Ubu - 09/28/21 07:44 PM
Upgrading my Roland KR-570(!) (c.1997 AD)
by ClemFandango - 09/28/21 06:15 PM
Garritan with Sibelius "sound set" ?
by RinTin - 09/28/21 03:13 PM
help teaching an autistic child
by sheilaju - 09/28/21 02:33 PM
Old Kawai MP6
by johan d - 09/28/21 02:04 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,338
Posts3,135,922
Members102,848
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission