2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
104 members (amyram, benj.ma, accordeur, 36251, Adagiette, AlphaTerminus, AaronSF, 20 invisible), 1,010 guests, and 519 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
I had been living with a terrible mistake for the past year having bought a new Schimmel C120. I justified the purchase despite being a beginner telling myself that my daughter would learn on it when she was old enough. In the music store, the Schimmel clearly outclassed the Kawai uprights I had been considering and was only bested by the Konzert series. At home, the piano was so loud and shrill. The only place I have for it is in an alcove with windows on the left and right. I also discovered that all the walls in my 120 year old house have plaster behind the drywall - not great for acoustics. I tried putting a heavy rug underneath which helped a little bit didn’t address the shrill tones that resulted from my poor room acoustics. I tried heavy foam behind the sound board which dulled the tone to the point I lost interest. The only way the piano sounded good was if I moved it in close to the middle of the room, which my wife would never accept.

I was about to give up on this when just a few days ago out of curiosity I decided to remove the top front panel. The piano sounded so much better without the sound being entirely reflected in the alcove. It was a definite improvement over just opening op the top lid. My only misgiving was some remaining shrillness in the C3 to C4 octaves which improved significantly after I removed the bottom panel and keyboard lid. So the piano is now totally open on the front. Interestingly it sounds much more dynamic and I can attain the perfect level of softness. The sound is very similar to what I experience when listening to my speakers in near-field rather than far-field. With reduced room reflections constituting the sound it’s much more direct and the best word I can use to describe is pure.

I’m so happy with the sound now. I’m planning to keep a sheet over the piano to protect from dust, which won’t look the best. I also need to devise a solution for holding sheet music. But it’s worth it for this thrilling, pure, rich direct sound.

A
A
Hello William,
The C120 is a very nice, sweet and solid model. I've played several of them, and one of my friends also owns one. Yes, room acoustics really matters to the tone of piano. I always find that pianos sound more pleasant in concert halls, showrooms and professional studios, mostly due to environment. It seems to me not the best solution to remove panels. Just my two cents: At first, a new piano will only reach its best sound after plenty of time playing on it. My Grotrian was built in 1991, but seldom used by its original owner. For the first 2-3 years of using, it sounded beautiful, but a little fuzzy, and even blurred when pressing down the pedal. I could only get better clarity by opening the lid, but the sound was so loud and overwhelming (even though Grotrian sounds darker than most other european makes) that other people at home could not do anything except listening to me. But now, just with the lid closed, the tone is fuller, more penetrating, with more strength in the upper middle range of scale. It is really gorgeous! So have you spent enough time playing on your piano? If not, the sound may not develop even for years. Secondly, have you tried of pasting a carpet (or something to absorb more sound) on the wall where you place your piano? Some decoration of the room for better acoustics will be surely effective I think. Hope it is helpful.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
In the store the Schimmel C120 out classed all the uprights! In your home your home the piano was loud and shrill?
The problem could be your that your piano room is not voiced so most pianos would sound loud and shrill.Otherwise the particular piano you bought is not the one in the store.You could have the piano voiced until it has settled down or you could change the room furnishings to suit the piano.Is this your first accoustic piano?

S
Online Content
S
William - you may want to repost to the main Piano forum. People may have practical suggestions for voicing the room such that you may be able to replace the front panel.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Actually Sgisela if you look at the date this is quite an old thread.He may not read our posts.I will just post this from Piano Buyer.just in case he does.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/ten-ways-to-voice-a-room/

My piano is my friend and my voice to the great unknown, out there..
S
Online Content
S
Thanks for pointing that out, Tre Corda. blush

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain/Sostenuto Pedal issues
by Lance Jensen - 09/17/21 04:49 PM
Upgrade to Used Upright or Advanced Digital Piano?
by Connor5522 - 09/17/21 03:44 PM
Bronzing Powder Mixing Turning Yellow Gold into Deep Gold
by Chernobieff Piano - 09/17/21 03:18 PM
Kawai NV5 Or NV10?
by Tenor1 - 09/17/21 02:53 PM
Mic + subwoofer for an acoustic piano?
by WinstonSmith - 09/17/21 02:25 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,159
Posts3,133,062
Members102,758
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission