2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JaneF Offline OP
OP Offline
On the Modartt website - instrument packs are 30% off and Pianoteq Standard is 20% off until August 15.

Disclaimers - this is not to enter the "modeled versus sampled" nor "VSTi sucks" arena. wink

Jane

Jane - expert on nothing with opinions on everything
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JaneF
On the Modartt website - instrument packs are 30% off and Pianoteq Standard is 20% off until August 15.

Disclaimers - this is not to enter the "modeled versus sampled" nor "VSTi sucks" arena. wink

Jane

Those at Moddart are truly generous in attempting to draw those prodigal sons back into the fold . . .
D'ya think it'll work?
Neither do I!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
VI Labs libraries are also discounted until August 31st. 30% off, + 10% if purchasing two or more items.

Yamaha GB1K baby grand; Roland FP-80 & FP-7F; VI Labs Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX; Steinberg UR22mkII; Yamaha AG-03; Sennheiser HD 579 & HD 569; Zoom H5.
Me on YouTube: Duo Matschulat
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by JaneF

Jane

Wishful thinking there Jane smile

Most likely will buy a couple of add-on packs. Now wish ones?

I want Organteq but I think it has to be a better sale for me to buy it.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
R
R
Has anyone ever tried the so called K2 that they built.

Anybody out there like it.

Ron

Ron
Kawai CA79

VSL (BÖSENDORFER 280VC, CFX, Steinway D-274), Modern U, Ravenscroft275, Noire, Lounge Lizard EP-4

(Not Used much) Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Bechstein Digital, , Auddict_Dorian_Marko, The Grandeur,, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
Originally Posted by ronlefebvre

Ron

It’s a beautiful sounding piano, but I’m not sure I’d get it since I have the Steinway Ds and C Bechstein. Character wise it doesn’t seem to offer much stand out difference. I’d be happy with either one of these 3 though.

Ron

Some years ago, when you first bought PTq stage, the K2 and Steinway were built in. I was never keen on the Steinway to play, and the K2 sounded so much like my digital I only used PTq in the background,as a recording tool.
They both recorded very well.
K2 like everything else, is better now, but I still wouldn't buy it from choice.

"[Linked Image]"
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

I never liked modeling, but the sound quality of this method in the recent high-end Kawais did get my attention.

So, because Pianoteq was also renewed to their current version 7, last week I did what had to be done at some point anyway: install the Standard demo version and test it. (The current sale wasn't there yet).

By the way, the fact that Modartt offers almost-fully functional demo versions which can be obtained and installed absolutely hassle-free, and can be really thoroughly examined, deserves a lot of respect. The same goes for the ease at which you can explore each and every instrument model that are available as 'instrument packs'.

Technically, Pianoteq impresses me and a lot is done right.

Musically, I then tried to practise on the two or three piano models that I found most pleasing after some minor tweaking of their parameters. But at that point, I quickly switched back to my VI Labs Modern U. That one oozes musicality and its realism drips out of my piano setup in spades, an immersing experience that I can't get out of even the best-liked models in Pianoteq.

So it is Kawai's SK Rendering Engine (if that's what it's called?) that recently gave modeling some fresh plausibility in my mind; Pianoteq (and Roland, for that matter) -- not yet.

Ergo, if you consider the current sale offerings, be sure to use that great demo first to get a good impression of it and can feel if it's for you.

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

F
F
Ah, damn and I swore not to buy anything this month :D, but I have been oogling that new Petrof for a while new. Ah well then.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by HZPiano
I never liked modeling, but the sound quality of this method in the recent high-end Kawais did get my attention.

Much like with Yamaha's "Virtual Resonance Modeling" the base piano sound is still sampled and the resonances modeled.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What I always wonder is how some people, as Phil Best, get so much from Pianoteq. I can't even get close!

BTW I own Pianoteq 7 Standard along most of the piano packs and like it. But don't love it, if you understand

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by clothearednincompo

Much like with Yamaha's "Virtual Resonance Modeling" the base piano sound is still sampled and the resonances modeled.

Really! That might explain a lot!

I actually was under the impression that the default piano in e.g. the NV5S/NV10S is a fully modeled sound. Are you sure these are sample-based with added modeling, as you say?

Again, that may explain a lot and, somehow, give me more confidence that I would like such a piano...

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

F
F
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
What I always wonder is how some people, as Phil Best, get so much from Pianoteq. I can't even get close!

BTW I own Pianoteq 7 Standard along most of the piano packs and like it. But don't love it, if you understand

Personally I absolutely know why I can't get the same out of PT like Phil Best, wouldn't be different on a real piano. He is quite the accomplished pianist, would certainly be strange if he wasn't worlds apart from me.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Are you sure these are sample-based with added modeling, as you say?

Looks like it:

Originally Posted by https://kawaius.com/technology/sound-technology/
In order to faithfully reproduce the stunning sound of a Shigeru digitally, Kawai has developed SK-EX Rendering – a brand new piano sound engine that blends multi-channel, 88-key sampling with the latest resonance modeling technology.

https://kawaius.com/technology/sound-technology/

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@clothearednincompo, I am very happy to know this correctly now. I picked up the wrong information from a review and didn't verify that myself (which I should have).

So again, thank you for correcting this!

Cheers and happy multi-sample playing,

HZ

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FloRi89
Originally Posted by EB5AGV

Personally I absolutely know why I can't get the same out of PT like Phil Best, wouldn't be different on a real piano. He is quite the accomplished pianist, would certainly be strange if he wasn't worlds apart from me.

Touché! wink

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
R
R
Same here when I got my CA79.

Not sure if I should be disappointed or not since the sound from the Kawai is really good.

Ron

Hello,

Originally Posted by clothearednincompo

Really! That might explain a lot!

I actually was under the impression that the default piano in e.g. the NV5S/NV10S is a fully modeled sound. Are you sure these are sample-based with added modeling, as you say?

Again, that may explain a lot and, somehow, give me more confidence that I would like such a piano...

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

Ron
Kawai CA79

VSL (BÖSENDORFER 280VC, CFX, Steinway D-274), Modern U, Ravenscroft275, Noire, Lounge Lizard EP-4

(Not Used much) Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Bechstein Digital, , Auddict_Dorian_Marko, The Grandeur,, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
R
R
Good to know.

I will probably finally get the electric pianos then. the ones on the Kawai leave a lot to be desired.

+ now I can layer them with one of the accoustics

Ron

Originally Posted by peterws

Ron

Some years ago, when you first bought PTq stage, the K2 and Steinway were built in. I was never keen on the Steinway to play, and the K2 sounded so much like my digital I only used PTq in the background,as a recording tool.
They both recorded very well.
K2 like everything else, is better now, but I still wouldn't buy it from choice.

Ron
Kawai CA79

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Yay! I think 20% is about as deeply discounted as Pianoteq ever gets. So, I upgraded to Standard and got my Bechstein.

But, I won't play it much for another month. I'm going on a mega bicycle tour!

I'll see you guys in September!

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
I will probably finally get the electric pianos then. the ones on the Kawai leave a lot to be desired.

+ now I can layer them with one of the accoustics

Ron

You'll end up sounding like the Beach Boys . . .

"[Linked Image]"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission