2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (dhts, cygnusdei, Boboulus, bluebilly, chen, Animisha, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 890 guests, and 635 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
OP Offline
I
Hi, I have recently finished the Ballade in G minor and I have went back to work on the climax (i apologize for not knowing the official name for the climax) and i have tried out a new way to interpret where i press the bass notes slightly early. I would love to hear your thoughts on the entire passage and ways to improve. I apologize for not including the build up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/195UICpqf6KOmJjyuSa8Gfkhlf0txnQBa/view?usp=drivesdk

Played on - Yamaha P105 digital piano

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Thura; 08/02/21 09:32 AM.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's a bit hard to make much of a judgement on an audio clip that lasts only 44 seconds (measures 106 to 124 of the score).

I do find that the audio is very reverberant, and I don't know whether that is a fault of the recording device used or whether you are using too much pedal. I think that there may be some of the latter; pedal changes come a little late, so that in part contributes to the recording's lack of clarity. I don't know, either, how sensitive the damper pedal may be on a Yamaha P105; that, too, may contribute to my concern.

As for the bass notes coming in before the right hand at times, I don't think that that does any particular service to the recording; indeed it may help with my sense of lack of clarity.

I wonder what you mean by having "finished" the Ballade. How are you doing with the treacherous coda, the Presto con fuoco, starting at measure 208? This is the pianist's real test in this work. Is a work such as this ever finished?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
The audio is not of the best quality and there is a general lack of clarity, either due to the recording or too much pedal or both. So it is difficult to judge the overall result.

As far as playing the bass notes earlier, i dont find that to be a good idea. It just adds to the unclarity by introducing an additional complexity.

In terms of improvements, i think you should work on a more structured rythm, you tend to loose the momentum , ie what you call the climax, by having a loose pace and accentuation that doesnt fall in the proper timing. I think you should drop your idea about the bass and first make sure you have a clean cut with a proper rythm and a good phrasing. That should take care to a large part of the climax

I
OP Offline
I
Hi, thank you for your response.

The audio is in fact very reverberant, due to my digital piano's bass notes being loudly overwhelming even when pressed very softly. I think maybe its because I also tend to play the bass notes quite loudly. I will indeed work on the clarity.

When I said I finished the Ballade, I meant i have finished learning everything. However, I am still not comfortable with some of the scales so I will keep working on it until I can play it at a performance level. Surprisingly the coda for me wasn't all that challenging to play. But what was hard was using less pedal amd accenting the bass notes which is quite hard on my piano since you can't really hear the notes (you can only hear a loud booming sound). The coda right now is currently not at the level that I want to play it at so, I will be practicing again and again until I can improve.

I would also like to apologize for not knowing the official terms for the music. I never had a teacher and I only learned from YouTube. I often listen to recordings of Horowitz and Rubinstein to comprehend how they played certain passages but most of the time I just play it like i feel it.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate the help.

I
OP Offline
I
Thank you for your response.

I find your advice to be extremely helpful. I will take your advice and forget about the early bass notes idea for now and work on my structure and rythm and good phrasing.

As for the audio quality, I do understand what you're getting at. A common problem on the Yamaha P105 is that the bass notes tend to be too loud, as if you have put on a bass test video from youtube through a speaker. You can't really hear the notes in the first 2 octaves. You can only hear a loud booming noise with a hint of the note of course.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate the help.

I
OP Offline
I
I may have played fast and loose with the words "not all that difficult for me" when I mentioned the coda. It was indeed extremely challenging to the point which I became aware that I may have started a piece that was slightly out of my level. But I practiced and learned day and night and finally got it but it still sounds horrible and its not up to the standard required on the forum. If I can't play the measure 106-124 correctly, you can only imagine how I play the coda.

Moderated by  Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
'market place' ?
by idg - 10/27/21 05:43 AM
Floor space: can I dream of a grand?
by xlider - 10/27/21 02:34 AM
Announcement of new Kawai AURES2 Hybrid Piano
by Daydreaming - 10/27/21 01:17 AM
Minimum repertoire to judge acoustic piano
by TonyDIGITAL - 10/26/21 10:34 PM
Baldwin L vs. Steinway A
by noyes - 10/26/21 06:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,760
Posts3,142,263
Members103,122
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission