2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Thinking about taking the plunge on the Stage version.

One pack would be the Electric Instrument pack.

Considering other options but leaning towards either the Steinway D pack or the Petrof pack (not least because each offers 2 pianos, but I like the sounds too).

Yes I have dowloaded the trial version.

Yes I have listened to demos of much better players than me on youtube.

Yes I will trust my own ears.

etc ...

Nonetheless, I am interested in the experiences and opinions of other Pianoteq users.

So Steinway D or Petrof, and why?

F
F
Personally I like the Petrof better it has a more distinct sound and it's clearer. My personal favorite is the Bechstein though, this is just one piano, but in my opinion still the best of all of them.

I purchased the Steinway D now in the summer sale and it's a good piano, I think especially for recordings, but I like the Petrof Mistral better too.

Schimmel 114 (1990)
Roland Kiyola
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@jackopiano, Given the current sale, how about paying € 34,30 extra and have both?

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

F
F
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

@jackopiano, Given the current sale, how about paying € 34,30 extra and have both?

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

With the current sale I would think about getting Standard instead of Stage then smile. So you'll get all the features of Standard for 30€ if you remove the additional instrument you will get.

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the replies. The Bechstein is lovely - gave it another listen and now tossing that up too.

Re pricing, the extra packs in Australian dollars are about $56; if I go to Standard from Stage (which I did look at) it's about AUD$110 difference. One has to draw the line somewhere - I already have the Garritan CFX and another two (or one) good modelled acoustic pianos is really enough for me.

Appreciate the input.

smile

Last edited by jackopiano; 08/06/21 05:04 AM.
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I think the previous Steinway D (in Pianoteq 5, 6) was the worst sounding model. Modartt kindly agreed to exchange it for me to another instrument. When I upgraded to 7, I found new Steinway NY (auditioned in demo mode) to be much improved. Still, in Petrof vs Steinway competition, I would opt for former, at least in Pianoteq implementation. Warm, woody sounding piano.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
My preferences right now are the Petrof (very even, good all-rounder), Steingraeber (nice singing middle and warm base) and Blüthner (velvety bass, warm midrange, and that sparkly, singing treble!) , the U4 is nice too. I really can't get the Bechstein - I have it too, but for me it's to percussive and clinical somehow.

Schimmel 114 (1990)
Roland Kiyola
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jackopiano
Thanks for the replies. The Bechstein is lovely - gave it another listen and now tossing that up too.

Re pricing, the extra packs in Australian dollars are about $56; if I go to Standard from Stage (which I did look at) it's about AUD$110 difference. One has to draw the line somewhere - I already have the Garritan CFX and another two (or one) good modelled acoustic pianos is really enough for me.

Appreciate the input.

smile

I never got full satisfaction out of PTq stage but I do now I upgraded to Stage. The upgrade too, is on offer abd you'll get three pianos with that.
Bear in mind also, the sounds you hear from Standard are not necessarily those you'll hear from Stage. Sometimes the demo models will reflect the better sounds, in the trial version; but you'll know when they do because the info is given.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
If I understand correctly, Pianoteq Stage and Standard uses exactly the same engine for playback. It's just that Standard allows user to edit more parameters, but the factory presets sound 100% the same no matter if it's Stage, Standard, Pro or Studio.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
R
R
I have both of them, but I prefer Petrof Mistral. I think Ptq has a large improvement from v7+Mistral. Solid, wood and clear sound than Harpsichord style before.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I like both. If I had to choose only one now I would purchase the Peteof first. Good luck in your decision making 👍

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
F
F
Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie
If I understand correctly, Pianoteq Stage and Standard uses exactly the same engine for playback. It's just that Standard allows user to edit more parameters, but the factory presets sound 100% the same no matter if it's Stage, Standard, Pro or Studio.

Yes correct, tweaking the settings a little so suit your personal preference is a great thing though.

Q
Q
The Petrof pack is my favorite. I bought it back when it only included the 275, and the Mistral 284 has been a nice addition.

Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie

I did turn up one of the Bechstein, I think, which was different using settings that weren't available on Stage. I was informed of this officially on the PTq screen.
But version 7.3 has raised the bar on all of them so Stage might be a good first choice for many.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Standard gets you morphing which is a nice feature IMHO.

C
C
I prefer the sound and feel of the Petrof, especially the newer one. Warmer and more natural IMO.

Dang all you earth cubes!!!

Because of you, now I have to go and buy the Petrof instrument pack

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by petes1
Dang all you earth cubes!!!

Because of you, now I have to go and buy the Petrof instrument pack

You're thank us, really you will 😃

J
OP Offline
J
thanks for all the responses

it's all Petrof and no Steinway on here so far

interestingly, Phil Best prefers the Steinway D of all their offerings, but does clarify correctly that everyone's taste is different

i love a vst that has a proper trial version. that alone makes me happier to support the developer by purchasing their product

Last edited by jackopiano; 08/06/21 08:16 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission