2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 15 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I like the Steinway too but I brought the Petrof at full price because I liked it so much in version 7.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
R
R
I am not a huge fan of Pianoteq, but I will give my vote for the New York Steinway.

I was impressed.

I bought Pianoteq for the Bechstein, but I will admit when I got it I kept going back between it and the Petrof.

The quality of the NY however is better in my opinion. It stands out compared to all the others. (Not by much I will admit, but it is there)

The Bechstein is still my favorite.

If I had to choose between the Petrof and the Steinway, I would certainly pick the Steinway first.

Ron

Ron
Kawai CA79

VSL (BÖSENDORFER 280VC, CFX, Steinway D-274), Modern U, Ravenscroft275, Noire, Lounge Lizard EP-4

(Not Used much) Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Bechstein Digital, , Auddict_Dorian_Marko, The Grandeur,, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
Petrol mistral is nice, but with the amount of presets of the HB and NY Steinway D, you’ll probably find something you can work with for all kinds of genre of music you play.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Beansparrow
Petrol mistral is nice, but with the amount of presets of the HB and NY Steinway D, you’ll probably find something you can work with for all kinds of genre of music you play.

for others potentially contemplating ...

Bechstein
1 piano
16 presets

Bluethner
1 piano
15 presets

Petrof
2 pianos
18 + 17 (35) presets

Steinway B
1 piano
21 presets

Steinway D
2 pianos
28 + 34 (62) presets

(i might be out by one or two here or there)

Ant. Petrof for me as well. As others noted, more clear and natural sound. Also sounds more direct and intimate.

Search the web privately with DuckDuckGo .
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I think either would be fine to start with jackopiano. Especially with Black Friday in a few months coming. Pianoteq has been known to have a sale then to. So in a few months you will be able to buy an add-on or two if you like the software.

Peace

P.S. I'm still debating on a add-on or two myself that they on sale. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!

Wait I only want to buy two at most right now. Did I jinx myself by typing decisions three times?

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
NY Steinway or Bechstein imo

Acoustic: Yamaha C6 with AdSilent
Digital: Yamaha N3X, Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
I’d owned Stage with Steinway D for years when I decided to try out the Petrof demo. I liked what I heard, but then came the dilemma - take the bargain-priced opportunity to upgrade to Standard, with Petrof as the included instrument, or purchase just the Petrof?

I went the slightly more expensive route, and truly wish I’d moved earlier. Pianoteq Standard really is a game changer, with controls that open up so many possibilities (not least being able to take advantage of the FXPs - customised presets).

Stretch the budget now if it is at all possible - Stage gives you only a hint of what Pianoteq has to offer.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
F
F
First off: get Standard. It’s really worth it.
As for your piano choice between the Steinway D and Pretrof pairs: those Petrofs were modeled from within an anechoic chamber, which makes them particularly accurate. Then again, the new (NY) Steinway D is a pretty special instrument in and of itself. Only solution is testing them yourself of course.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
So what was your decision Jackopiano?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
My favorite is hands down the Bechstein.

But I’ve always favored any Bechstein instrument.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Have to just pick one or two and go from there. I remember being at a nice piano store in Michigan and playing several nice grand pianos. So for a few hundred dollars you have all these choices to play😀

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by EPW
So what was your decision Jackopiano?

still deciding but leaning towards the Steinway D pack at the moment. All the advice has been constructive and helpful, as has the discussion from pianoteq users on other threads.

I've spent most time on the Steinway, petrof, bechstein, and bluethner demos. i like them all which suggests i should follow your advice epw and just get on with choosing one.

i have to say that i like the garritan cfx even more now I've been spending time on pianoteq (and prefer it to pianoteq), but i also like the pianoteq packs.

I'm much more likely to use presets pretty much as they are (good enough for Phil Best, probably good enough for me) and at this point can't justify the extra money for standard over stage for my own uses. that means the sale is not relevant so I'm not in a hurry to decide or to pull the trigger, but i probably will soonish anyway

thanks again for all the responses

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I can help you choose If you're between two of them. You pick heads or tails and I'll flip the coin for you laugh

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by EPW
I can help you choose If you're between two of them. You pick heads or tails and I'll flip the coin for you laugh

if it comes to that i'll let you know smile

just reiterating something i suggested earlier. i doubt i would ever have bought pianoteq without such a useful trial version being accessible

Last edited by jackopiano; 08/09/21 05:31 PM.
A
A
it's amazing how pianoteq is able to reproduce the essence of a brand's unique sound. i love playing the bechstein DG on pianoteq 7 on my yahama p515. It sounds so similar to how my a192 bechstein sounds- truly uncanny.

Working on:
Bach English Suite #2
Schubert Sonata A major D 959
Chopin Ballade #2

Practicing on:
Yamaha P-515
Kawai NV10s

Playing on:
1890 Steinway C (PianoCraft restoration pending)
2023 C. Bechstein A6

Old Flames:
2019 C. Bechstein Concert A192
2020 Kawai K-300 Aures
2012 Kawai RX-2
2014 Mason Hamlin 50
J
OP Offline
J
thanks once again for all the feedback. i decided i like the Steinway Ds, the petrofs, the bechstein and the bluethner, but i actually like the garritan cfx better than all of them.

so i went ahead and downloaded the trial version of the standard package to see if that offered something I'd want. i did like the microphone control. some of the downloadable user presets are really nice too. but it was the morphing and layering that really got me across the line. All these options give me a really nice compliment to the garritan

so i got the Steinway D pack, the electric piano pack, and also got the xylo pack. now i have felt+string percussion, tine+pick-up percussion, and timber+mallet percussion for layering and morphing along with a bunch of ready to go presets

and i have two modelled Steinway Ds and a sampled cfx. some of the Rhodes presets are just lovely

Last edited by jackopiano; 08/14/21 10:50 PM.
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Congrats and welcome aboard. Pianoteq is nice to have.

F
F
Yep, you’re in for a treat.

P
P
Recently bought the Pianoteq Standard with a 40% academic discount. After playing for a whole week with the trial, tinkering with mic positions, EQs and all the stuff that could be tweaked (and I believe that I just scratched the surface after one intensive week) I opted for the Steinway D, Petrof and Grotrian (that was my first choice judging the Audio Demos on Pianoteq website).

I´ve recently noted a great difference between listening through my ATH-M50X headphones (nice studio cans) and my Adam T7V monitors... both of them were used loud (I tend to seek a similar volume level as playing in front of a grand) and the sound through the monitors moving that air in between is another dimension (and turning off the reverb on the presets to feel the natural reverb of my studio).

I´m in love with the Petrof 284 Mistral and the NY Steinway D, those two new instruments are on another level (rest sound outdated IMHO).
The woody feeling of the NY Steinway D is magical when playing with una corda pedal, specially in Beethoven´s Moonlight Sonata 1st movement or some Debussy´s delicate pieces.
Now talking about brilliance, I was astonished by the Petrof Mistral (specially the Jazz Recording Preset with little adjustments to boost 4dB the bass). The mids and highs in response when playing crescendo passages have got me for good... Enjoyed a lot playing it with some Chopin and Granados pieces that I enjoy playing. That Petrof Mistral feels very natural.
The Grotrian, the one that catched my attention at first time, is getting dust in the corner... Think I will try to contact them to make a change if possible.

BEST REGARDS

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission