2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (akse0435, amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
There may be a video on YouTube demonstrating leg removal and reattachment based on the make and model.
That may not be necessary in this case since the OP still has one of the three legs.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
OT here but a cool thought. So let’s say I’m tired of the plain jane traditional black grand. I could get some carved
Styled legs that attach basically the same as the plain Jane legs. I could then order a custom carved music rack. Have everything painted polished ebony and I’ve completely changed the look of my piano while keeping it the same.

Truth is I’d never do that. I’m just too afraid of the work involved and moaning about parts fitting and I’m one of those people that hates to work on stuff that’s not broken.

To the OP, I’m just batting around some weird ideas of what I might do if suddenly 2 legs on my piano were missing.

Last edited by j&j; 08/04/21 12:10 PM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I don't know if this will help... but, now that you mention the delinquencies of certain military-provided furniture movers, I am reminded of one thing the military excels at, and receives lots of good press for: prosthetic legs (and other limbs). They can certainly be custom-fit to any size, and can handle any weight loads, though possibly it might be felt that the price would be too high for a piano, though it would be acceptable for a paratrooper.

Still, you just never know. And think how nice it would be, to know that they wanted to help, and recognized how valuable pianos and musicians are to this world. You could clothe the legs in nice dress trouser legs, and suitable evening shoes. Every day would be a concert performance at your house.

I am surprised to read that you have the very same problem with your piano, that persons who want to equip their home gyms are having. No stock or damaged stock is shipped, pieces that don't match or mates that are dissimilar to their purported other half. Paint that never dries, collars that break and let the plates slip off, and prices that have become inflated to about three times what they should be, because of COVID and now Delta. No one's looking for gyms to open back up any time real soon. Piano manufacturers... it is too bad that they take the attitude that they have shown to you, but manufacturers in the same region of the world are giving the very same reply to iron pumpers:"So?". Come to think of it, you have it in common that iron plates have a central role to the performance of both specialties... and if you don't work out, don't expect to get better.

I am partly serious, and partly going with, "It's better to laugh than to scream.". It may get you further if you sic some insurance companies on the movers or the people that sent them. I'll tell you one thing: those legs are somewhere; they have not dematerialized. Have you an iron frying pan? (What do you know, iron is back in the conversation AGAIN!) Maybe some movers need some lumps raised on their heads. Sometimes the strangest things resolve cases of amnesia.

Good luck to you. I hope something works.

Huffing with your antique teapot, indeed! With you right there in the house.

Clef

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Looking at the bright side at least the legs can be replaced if the missing legs stay missing. It won’t really affect the tone, sound or action. There’s several piano supply places you can buy a standard spade leg for grand pianos.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
C
c++ Offline
C
Originally Posted by busa
Daft thought coming up smile Have you looked under the lid .... i shudder at the thought of them being there, but you never know!

Brilliant idea!

Dear OP, have you checked under the lid?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by c++
Daft thought coming up smile Have you looked under the lid .... i shudder at the thought of them being there, but you never know!

Brilliant idea!

m

Serious questions:

1) would they fit?
2) wouldn’t putting the legs under the lid for transport risk damaging something there? (Stings, pinblock, action)

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
c++ Offline
C
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Originally Posted by c++

Brilliant idea!

m

Serious questions:

1) would they fit?
2) wouldn’t putting the legs under the lid for transport risk damaging something there? (Stings, pinblock, action)

Just to clarify, I think that looking under the lid is a brilliant idea. I do not think that storing the legs there is a brilliant idea. smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I think that looking under the lid is a brilliant idea. I do not think that storing the legs there is a brilliant idea.

An important distinction indeed! grin

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
I do not believe they would fit.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
One problem with purchasing two replacement legs is that they may not be the perfect height of the third one, so it might be necessary to buy three, which is relatively high expense, and very high considering that is just "fixing" someone's else mistake.

In the past, I've bought 3 legs from a trashed M&H B that I wanted to use to make a digital in an acoustic cabinet. I am still working on that project but I have changed my mind about the legs, so I'll be happy to give these legs away, if you can pick them up at my place or pay the shipment. They are mahogany and have some bumps, but they are otherwise in excellent shape. For the purpose of my digital cabinet, I've also found a fantastic black enamel which is a great match for the typical "polished ebony" (the shiny black) and I could apply that to the legs for you at cost, or teach you how to do it yourself.

Cheers

Originally Posted by Del Vento
One problem with purchasing two replacement legs is that they may not be the perfect height of the third one, so it might be necessary to buy three, which is relatively high expense, and very high considering that is just "fixing" someone's else mistake.

In the past, I've bought 3 legs from a trashed M&H B that I wanted to use to make a digital in an acoustic cabinet. I am still working on that project but I have changed my mind about the legs, so I'll be happy to give these legs away, if you can pick them up at my place or pay the shipment. They are mahogany and have some bumps, but they are otherwise in excellent shape. For the purpose of my digital cabinet, I've also found a fantastic black enamel which is a great match for the typical "polished ebony" (the shiny black) and I could apply that to the legs for you at cost, or teach you how to do it yourself.

Cheers

This offer seems like a great deal to me, and a very generous offer from a fellow Piano World member. Even if you had to pay someone to do the fitment/modification, you'd have 3 matching legs.

In fact, this generous offer would go a long way to help counteract the calamity of the movers losing your piano legs to begin with, if such a thing is possible.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
B
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Originally Posted by c++

Brilliant idea!

m

Serious questions:

1) would they fit?

It has been suggested that the guys employed to move were picked purely based upon the price being the cheapest which is why i thought it not to be beyond the realms of possibility that a moving tech (apprentice) might actually consider placing them somewhere "convenient" especially if space were at a premium!

C
c++ Offline
C
I hope that we hear back from the OP to find out whether the legs were under the lid. Enquiring minds want to know!

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
The Op has not been back since the 31 of July.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
The Japanese eat sitting on the floor. Perhaps the OP has realised that you can play a piano without legs in the same way?

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Sonepica
The Japanese eat sitting on the floor. Perhaps the OP has realised that you can play a piano without legs in the same way?

Perhaps she didn’t want to hang out for the very bad jokes.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by c++
I hope that we hear back from the OP to find out whether the legs were under the lid. Enquiring minds want to know!
I know! 🤔

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by Sonepica

Perhaps she didn’t want to hang out for the very bad jokes.

Dogperson, how could the OP have known that I would make such a joke, and resolved not to access the forum for 9 days in order to avoid reading it? Unless she can see into the future. You, Sir, are simply being silly.

C
C
I don't know, given the legs do come off, it's kind of hard for me to believe anyone is going to pay you the cost of the entire piano for two legs. That just doesn't even seem credible. It would be as if someone damaged a tire to your car and you wanted them to replace the entire car.

I'd try to contact the Weber company, if possible, to see. Otherwise, I good piano store that carries Webers ought to know, I would think. At least if you have one, that might help if you had to have new legs crafted.

Your piano is not a parlor grand, which is longer than 6'. I think that commenter presumed 175 was the length of the piano, not the model number. If it's 5 to 5.5" it is a baby grand.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission