2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Someone requested I cross post my piano camp review on this forum.

I am writing this as I lay in bed the morning after the recital at Rocky Ridge adult piano camp in Estes Park, Colorado.

It was a great experience. I sh#t the bed on the recital because I have severe stage fright and the piece is fast out of the gate. My previous playing at the Vermont ( Bennington, Sonata). camp went much better but I had chosen pieces that start slower at the beginning.

That was a learning experience for me.

The faculty is top notch and the food was excellent. That was the case in Vermont as well.

The level of talent among students was amazing.

I started learning piano as an adult and have had lessons only the last 2 years. Thus I don’t have a good ear for classical music. Therefore when playing a Bach invention for a Juliard trained professor I’m about crapping my pants.

Overall I am well out of my league here. I don’t know if I’ll be back but that’s is a reflection on me and not the camp. Also I just failed really hard at the recital, like a scale of 11/10. I was so mentally blank that I played an incoherent first 1/3 of the piece and improvised an ending because I hadn’t even got to the more difficult part.
That’s on me.

The first year I went to Vermont camp I hadn’t yet started real lessons and also felt intimidated (though I played the recital well.). So it took me 3 months to decide that I would come back.

Overal I felt more comfortable being a beginner at Bennington, though both camps have supportive and non judgmental students and faculty. Also the Vermont camp is monthly and this is just once a year. I don’t want to take a spot from someone more advanced than me that would benefit from this experience.

One thing this camp has clarified… I am not and will never be, a classical pianist. I don’t enjoy playing most classical pieces and growing up my brain was wired on pop, jazz, and country. From here on out I will choose good arrangements of music that I like. It’s neurological I think.

Acoustic: Yamaha C6 with AdSilent
Digital: Yamaha N3X, Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Well, kudos for going and doing the recital!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It's all good. As time goes by you will remember the good parts. I am a Summerkeys veteran - been about 9 times. But they shut down the last two summers. If they reopen I will go back.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Love your thread title. I can't remember if the 'band camp' line was from 'Sixteen Candles' or something very similar.

Yamaha DGX500
Yamaha CLP-635

My other hobby - gardening for an audience. https://naturescaping.org/the-gardens/entrance-garden/
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
American Pie🤣

Acoustic: Yamaha C6 with AdSilent
Digital: Yamaha N3X, Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq
Originally Posted by AlphaTerminus
American Pie🤣

Yes: the flute … baked goods … two left feet.

Who could forget?

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission