2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
56 members (36251, brennbaer, CoffeeBreak, clothearednincompo, Animisha, 16 invisible), 990 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3145865 08/13/21 11:03 AM
K
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
Dear friends:

What is the latest, state-of-the-art substitute for ivory ?

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
There are a number of different products that I've read about but have no experience with. However, the latest that has been broadly adapted by a variety of makers and rebuilders (but still not a common alternative) is Tharan. Tharan keytops are both very nice but also very subtle...more subtle than the Japanese-used keytop composites or most old ivory keyboards, but when comparing to a freshly sanded & buffed set of old ivories, the Tharan is very reminiscent in its feel and properties.

I haven't studied the science behind the material, but it has been more recently offered from Kluge on our new Bösendorfer grands. We've also used it in our own production of new keyboards. Soon, we'll have a Steinway AII Louis XV case that will include a new keyset with Tharan keytops and ebony sharps.

You might get more alternatives and feedback in the Technician's forum.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Personally I’ve always preferred Ivorite. The latest and greatest from Yamaha is my choice. The keyboard on my Estonia has the latest and greatest from Germany but I find it a bit slick. Ivorite is easy to clean and has a tiny bit of grip like ivory.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yamaha's ivorite is very nice. It's not easy to work with if you need a replacement (I'm frequently told) and it's not really available for other pianos, so it's a special case.

The texture on ivorite is nice but not as subtle as the Tharan. The difference is certainly a matter of preference, IMO, but I would be curious about the science behind the development of both materials. I spent just enough time in materials science in college to enjoy that process.

The other German plastics are slicker, very good improvements over earlier plastic keytops, good combination of durability and easy of manufacturing, but not really intended as an ivory substitute...developed to be a better performing keytop that doesn't consider ivory as the goal or standard.

Sam Bennett
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
D
D
A bit OT: is there a name for recent Steinway's (say, from 2010 on) natural keytop material, keys presumably made by Kluge?

It certainly feels different from the "Ivory Touch" on my Kawai MP11, or whatever was on our former Yamaha GB1's (current GB1K's spec lists "acrylic resin").

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I thought it was Tharan, but I could be wrong.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Last edited by P W Grey; 08/13/21 07:42 PM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Recently, a thread brought the suggestion that IVORTEC keytops - now being used to manufacture Steingraeber and Sauter pianos - are the state-of-the-art substitute for real ivory ones.

I really don't know if this product is a direct competitor to Tharan, as Tharan is made by Kluge and Ivortec is made by a company named... Ivortec... that is related to Max Planck Institute, a research institution.

Just another keytop alternative or the best one, so far? It would be nice if more light is shed over the subject.

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3137291/ivortec-keytops.html

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Steingraeber and Bechstein also use keys made of bone if requested.Black keys are ebony.Schimmel make their own white keys (sounds like their own product)Black keys are ebony for upright and grand pianos on their higher lines.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/schimmel/

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
8000 Post Club Member

8000 Post Club Member
Thanks for posing this question Karl!

I've been wondering about synthetic vs. ivory for a long time for a long time. I've come to terms with my M's ivory keys since posting about this before, but my new-to-me Hamilton had it's original ivories replaced with some cheap, thin plasticky key tops at some point. I don't like them in general, and one has a small but conspicuous bit missing, so I'll inevitably want to replace them at some point.

If I can add on to Karl's question, I'd ask where are these materials available? We hear talk pretty regularly about the latest and greatest, but when I look I just see "German" or "acrylic" keytops. I'm sure many of these are proprietary. For example, can you get Yamaha's ivorytec to put on an older Baldwin?

I like the idea of a textured surface, not something that's not just slick plastic. But don't know where you'd source it. FWIW, I think this is probably a tedious job that I'd rather outsource, but even the folks who do it just say things like "high quality keytops" (IIRC).

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Davdoc
A bit OT: is there a name for recent Steinway's (say, from 2010 on) natural keytop material, keys presumably made by Kluge?

It certainly feels different from the "Ivory Touch" on my Kawai MP11, or whatever was on our former Yamaha GB1's (current GB1K's spec lists "acrylic resin").
We have a 2015 Steinway D (NYC) in stock. The keytops on it do not appear to be Tharan. They are subtly textured, but the Tharan on the Bösendorfer 214VC has a very different look (up close) and a somewhat different feel. I cannot say what is on that D.

Sam Bennett
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I've heard that Kluge's standard material for Steinway keytops is called Ivoplast, and is not a mineral plastic material like their Tharan.

Larry.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

I've been wondering about synthetic vs. ivory for a long time for a long time. I've come to terms with my M's ivory keys since posting about this before, but my new-to-me Hamilton had it's original ivories replaced with some cheap, thin plasticky key tops at some point. I don't like them in general, and one has a small but conspicuous bit missing, so I'll inevitably want to replace them at some point.

If I can add on to Karl's question, I'd ask where are these materials available? We hear talk pretty regularly about the latest and greatest, but when I look I just see "German" or "acrylic" keytops. I'm sure many of these are proprietary. For example, can you get Yamaha's ivorytec to put on an older Baldwin?

I like the idea of a textured surface, not something that's not just slick plastic. But don't know where you'd source it. FWIW, I think this is probably a tedious job that I'd rather outsource, but even the folks who do it just say things like "high quality keytops" (IIRC).
The new U1 pianos to me have a very plasticky feel.I would try to get something like the Ivorite that they use on their C series grands.

8000 Post Club Member

8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal

So, it turns out that my perspective was a little out of date.

I've found some sites that list textured, simulated ivory key tops now:

https://www.vandaking.com/s-1322-simulated-ivory-piano-keytops.html
https://www.howardpianoindustries.com/simulated-ivory-piano-keytops-one-octave/

For only $4, I'm tempted to order an octave just to see how they feel.

And here's a site that lists ivoplast and Tharan installed on keys (I assume you ship them your keys):

https://www.cleartunin.com/keytop-repmacement

These two are quite a bit pricier, but I assume they're worth the difference.

How to Upload Pictures

8000 Post Club Member

8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tre corda
The new U1 pianos to me have a very plasticky feel.I would try to get something like the Ivorite that they use on their C series grands.

Yes, I'd prefer something other than the gleaming white, ultra slick plastic type keys.

How to Upload Pictures

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
If you are thinking of recovering a set of keys, the only materials that you can consider are those that are available for recovering. If you are planning to buy a new piano with a specific covering, that will limit you to the brands of pianos that offer that material, and you have to decide whether it is worth giving up that choice.

Semipro Tech
M
M
Does anyone have an opinion on how Kawai’s Neotex rates in relation to the other mentioned materials?

8000 Post Club Member

8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monoch
Does anyone have an opinion on how Kawai’s Neotex rates in relation to the other mentioned materials?

The thread I liked to above had a couple comments about Neotex.

Or just search the site for Neotex:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=neotex+site%3Apianoworld.com

How to Upload Pictures

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Piano Buying Guide
The Definitive Piano Buying Guide
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fingering question regarding middle C
by Alex442 - 08/18/22 07:29 AM
Noise when Jack hits Hammer butt
by CoffeeBreak - 08/17/22 11:09 PM
Kohler & Campbell Serial Numbers
by Dave_Toona - 08/17/22 10:20 PM
Young Chang U-121
by Joseph Fleetwood - 08/17/22 07:41 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,450
Posts3,217,262
Members106,112
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission