2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Title says it all!. We are celebrating the wedding in Germany and tonight there is a piano (baby grand) on the piano bar area and it will be available for me... I am pretty excited and nervous same time!. My playing is pretty basic and, well, I hope the party mood will help to hide my limitations wink

Of course, first there are professional musicians and then, when they go, late at night, it would be my turn grin

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Have a wonderful time!

My advice:

Don't start playing a song you don't know the end of. I once played Bohemian Rhapsody in a very well known piano bar in London, and was so inebriated that i completely forgot the end of the song as everyone was singing along. I've not been back since (was 2009!)

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Have fun! I think if you’re having fun, everyone will enjoy the moment!

At my brother’s wedding a few years ago, one of the highlights was the dance with the mother of the groom (my mom). They danced to Merenguero hasta la muerte, a wonderful Johnny Ventura merengue. Neither my brother nor mom is a super fantastic dancer, and they didn’t spend any time rehearsing the dance. But they were clearly having so much fun, and it was palpable to everyone.

So have fun! Enjoy the night, and congratulations!

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Remember .... you are successful if others are enjoying themselves ... singing ? .... listening .... whatever ....

They are not there judging you ..... just be who you are (mistakes and all) .... and have fun.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Good luck and have fun! To be able to play anything on a piano in front of people is such an accomplishment.

Originally Posted by fatar760
Have a wonderful time!

My advice:

Don't start playing a song you don't know the end of. I once played Bohemian Rhapsody in a very well known piano bar in London, and was so inebriated that i completely forgot the end of the song as everyone was singing along. I've not been back since (was 2009!)

haha thats awesome and it sounds like the crowd still enjoyed and maybe didnt even notice... That is one if top goal pieces that i aspire to play one day.

EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Well, thanks for the good wishes!. Now it is done grin

Things were completely different than I had planned. Here in Germany (or at least in Bavaria) they celebrate weddings different than in Spain. The wedding ceremony itself was at 12. Then, on the hotel, where all the celebration was done, first we had some drinks and snacks at about 13. Then at 15 some cakes and coffee. And then the dinner was at 19. So, at about 17:30 I got to the piano, thinking just on testing the waters... But people were around that area, talking and enjoying some rest, so I continued playing for about an hour and a half. I was completely calm and very happy due to the wedding and all family around and I played at my level, so pretty beginner, but with confidence and, according to people, in a lovely mood (not my words! wink )

I played mostly pop music, and 95% English language songs, from 70s to 90s, so German people also knew them. From Beatles to Abba, some David Bowie and such. My playing was using chord and lyrics sheet music (what you would use to play guitar) so the melody was platyed by ear. I use to play a lot like that at home, and it paid off. I tried to break chords, add bass when possible, use different rithms... Basic things but, well, it is what I can do now.

My wife was sitting about 5 meters from the piano, chatting with other people, and she said it was an enjoyable experience. I was like floating after that improvised performance.

After the dinner, there was a music group (percussion, bass, keyboard and singer) who played from 22:00 to about 0:30. Due to restrictions, we should end celebration at 01:00, so I was unable to play then, which is when I intended to do it. So, if I had not played before, I would not been able to do it!

So the moral of the story is: take things as they come, don't hesitate to play in public and enjoy music!

For me, it has been the first time I have played with more that 3-4 person around, and also with completely unknown public among them. And I enjoyed every minute 3hearts

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Hi EB
Congrats on both a successful and fun performance 😊 it should be an inspiration to those here who are hesitant to try.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
...And I enjoyed every minute 3hearts

Good to hear.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Awww…love that you had a great time along with a family have great memories plus boost of self confidence to carry you through when ver you have doubt. Bravo.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sebs
Good luck and have fun! To be able to play anything on a piano in front of people is such an accomplishment.

Originally Posted by fatar760
Have a wonderful time!

My advice:

haha thats awesome and it sounds like the crowd still enjoyed and maybe didnt even notice... That is one if top goal pieces that i aspire to play one day.

I literally got through to the very end 'Nothing really matters' and couldn't remember which chord it was (think it's Cm), and just stood up and slowly distanced myself from the piano as everyone continued to sing. It was my 30th birthday and, not only had I been to see We Will Rock You that night, but i'd been imbibing for 10 hours at that point.

Congratulations to the OP btw - sounds like a great evening was had.

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member
What a wonderful memory you have made for yourself and your family!

Estonia 168 (she sings!), Kawaii Es-110 for late-night practice.
Great experience! Glad it went so nicely!

SunnyKeys - from Florida but not the Keys. Learning for 2 years.
Newbie - RCM Level 1 etudes, ABRSM Level 1 2019-20 Exam pieces. Sans exams.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Many thanks to you all. Being on this forum and reading about other people experience when playing live, helped quite a lot to do it thumb

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Greta experience... Must have been a thrill to play for your daughter with all your family....
Algo muy bonito que recordar...

"La critique est facile, mais l'art reste difficile"
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Congratulations, also with your daughters wedding!

So many people here panic right away even when just the record button of their recorder goes on, let alone if there is an audience. Try to keep that relaxed feeling!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you all for your comments and good wishes, they mean a lot to me.

I have still to add an interesting side effect. We returned yesterday from our trip. After some days without a piano (since last Saturday) I was eager to play my Yamaha U3H... Well, my performance level was a notch up!. Fingers were faster and playing by ear I had less errors.

It seems that the confidence boost has somewhat converted to an small but noticeable playing improvement. Is this possible or just a temporary thing?. I am really amazed of how the brain has reacted to a one-time experience.

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>Is this possible or just a temporary thing?.

Yes confidence is a very important part of playing. Being more relaxed and confident does help speeding up, making less mistakes, getting over small mistakes, etc. This is why your positive experience is so important. Just the same way a negative experience could have caused stumbling blocks in your playing. Even getting stressed, eg because of audience, is a stumbling block. That's why it's so good for you to have this.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission