2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (c++, An Old Square, accordeur, BravoRomeo, 36251, anotherscott, 17 invisible), 646 guests, and 493 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
J
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Well, the first electric car was invented in 1880 but it was the X-er Elon Musk who made it popular. Some very clever boomers invented the Internet but it was the X-ers who popularized it much later and created the dot-com companies.

Not sure where you're getting your facts on that one. Bill Gates is solidly a boomer. Jeff Bezos is a boomer. Louis Borders (WebVan) is a boomer. Paul Flaherty (Altavista) is a boomer. Jerry Yang and Richard Barton are X, but pretty close to the cutoff. I'm fairly certain Terry Jones (travelocity, kayak) is a boomer (can't find his age, but he'd been in travel for over a decade before founding travelocity).

Sergey and Larry are solidly X, but Google barely makes the cutoff for the "dot-com" era.

There were definitely quite a few people under 30 starting dotcoms in the 90s, but I suspect the majority were over 30 by 1995, making them boomers.

Last edited by Jun-Dai; 08/25/21 05:51 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Ya know - when you really think about it, this silent generation, boomer, X and "whatever gen" thing is kind of silly. People are people. We may act and think somewhat differently due to the "cultural and technological" environment we grow up in, but human nature never changes. Hasn't for thousand of years. cool

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I am 32 and I find I prefer living pianists for some things and dead ones for others. My favorite living pianists are probably Berezovsky and Hough, while I incredibly respect Sokolov and consider him among the greatest (but not my favorite).

I think I tend to be different than most in this regard because once I find a favorite interpretation of a piece, I don't really continue listening to many of them. To me there is a way a piece of music is supposed to sound or naturally resonates with me as "correct" and once I find it, that becomes my reference. There is no rhyme or reason to whether the pianist that does that is living or dead, it just varies on a piece by piece basis. For Brahms concerti it's Hough. For some chopin etudes it's Pollini, for others Cziffra. For Rach 3 movement 1 it's Cliburn, for movement 2 it's Berezovsky. For some Mozart it's Geza Anda, for others it's Uchida.

It just depends - if it moves me, it moves me.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
BTW, this forum is using the UBB (Universal Bulletin Board) software, so in a way we’re still in a bulletin board. UBB has been created in 1997, so maybe by an X-er too
Once upon a time (as in the 1970's) there were unix newsgroups referred to as usenet. In the 1980's, these evolved so that the internet would carry them instead of machines calling each other up with modems to forward the traffic.

The first web site with the posting functionality was developed by Philip Greenspun in the early 1990's for the photography site photo.net that replaced the rec.photo usenet newsgroups, but it was designed to be customizable to other subject matters. Other implementations of the functionality as a web site subsequently followed, including UBB.

R
R
Jun-Dai---1965 is a tad late for a boomer. The term describes a group that resulted from the end of WW II, return of men from war to solid security. In my mind, 20 years later is really pushing it. And, despite the what you may see on the interweb, there is no absolute definition. I would hesitate to push even to 1960.

Meanwhile, boomer here. I grew up on Horowitz, Rubinstein et al, and the next generation after that. I'm an enthusiast for the old pianists like Rosenthal, Lhevinne, Hoffman. But I have to say, every generation has absolute wizards, there's no time limit on talent.

but Horowitz---ooohhh.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
So, how do you explain this very forum is still largely unusable on mobile phones (despite me personally complaining for the last 10 years) and still HTTP (non-secured)? Boomers, X-ers? 😉

Last edited by CyberGene; 08/26/21 12:02 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
SiFi Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by parapiano
Your post seems dead serious, so I'll presume your insult toward Arthur Rubinstein was serious too. I think that's sad, the kindest word I can think of for how it really makes me feel.

I'm genuinely sorry if what I said was upsetting to you. I overstated my opinion in a slightly tongue-in-cheek way, understanding that Rubinstein played 100 times better than I ever will. I've just never understood what all the fuss was about with him. Compared to the great Russian, Italian, French, American, South American, even British pianists of the last century, his particular talent and playing style seem kind of milquetoast, self-consciously inoffensive, to me at least. And of course, these are entirely my own opinions, not statements of fact, or even really insults.

SRF
SiFi Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Which generations do you think invented the internet?
Excellent point.
thumb thumb thumb

thumb thumb thumb +1

SRF
SiFi Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
I think over time there has been a move towards a greater enphasis on technical accuracy and towards taking fewer and/or less pronounced interpretive liberties. But this is a generalization. There are many exceptions across the board.

A reasonable generalization, I think, though one exception might be Lucas Dubargue, whose genius seems to include a fair amount of risk-taking, or what you call liberties.

SRF
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Jeff Bezos is as much a boomer as he is an X-er, there's no hard limit on these generations down to the minute. And AltaVista is no more. Nobody says "I'm altavisting", right? wink

My point is, there have always been smart people, visionaries, inventors, geniuses, regardless of generation. Are you telling me all the boomers collectively created the basis of what would become the Internet 😀 It's the average representative of a generation that counts. And the average boomer is not exactly my understanding of a tech savvy person 😜

Last edited by CyberGene; 08/26/21 02:09 AM.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
For baroque music, I prefer modern pianists to almost everything that was recorded in the 50s-60s and before (harpsichord excluded). Pianists have made an incredible step forward in terms of lisibility, clarity, style, ... and there are a number of very personal interpretations out there.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
This has little to do with generations, but I'd say that the reason interpretations can sound markedly different has everything to do with articulations. Take just the 4 first measures of Mozart K. 478 - if you listen to 5 recordings, you will hear 5 different ways the passage is articulated (including some ridiculous things like a missing beat etc)! Articulations are a reflection of one's internal logic, i.e if you find one way to be logical, chances are you'll find the other ways illogical, even repulsive. But any rate, it's a testament of how music is a highly subjective matter.

A rising tide lifts all the boats
Jeff Bezos is as much a boomer as he is an X-er, there's no hard limit on these generations down to the minute. And AltaVista is no more. Nobody says "I'm altavisting", right? wink

My point is, there have always been smart people, visionaries, inventors, geniuses, regardless of generation. Are you telling me all the boomers collectively created the basis of what would become the Internet 😀 It's the average representative of a generation that counts. And the average boomer is not exactly my understanding of a tech savvy person 😜
Is it possible that the average American/British Boomer is different than the average Bulgarian Boomer? ha

Actually, if human progress depended on the "average" representatives of each generation we'd probably still be living in the 17th century - and that's being optimistic.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Is it possible that the average American/British Boomer is different than the average Bulgarian Boomer?
That’s a possibility.

OTOH, I’ve been complaining for ages about this forum being awkward to read on a smartphone and then being even bigger PITA to post. I’ve seen the biggest resistance from the boomers on this forum who would say: use a computer to browse the forums, it’s better, my PC display is so much bigger, the real keyboard is so much easier than the touch screen… And the boomers here are mostly US/UK boomers 😀

The fact you have to explain to a boomer why the forum should be usable on a mobile is in itself a great example 😀

Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Is it possible that the average American/British Boomer is different than the average Bulgarian Boomer?
That’s a possibility.

OTOH, I’ve been complaining for ages about this forum being awkward to read on a smartphone and then being even bigger PITA to post. I’ve seen the biggest resistance from the boomers on this forum who would say: use a computer to browse the forums, it’s better, my PC display is so much bigger, the real keyboard is so much easier than the touch screen… And the boomers here are mostly US/UK boomers 😀

The fact you have to explain to a boomer why the forum should be usable on a mobile is in itself a great example 😀

Maybe Boomers have just accepted that not enough members have donated $$$ so that there are funds to upgrade the forum to a smart phone compatible version. I know I have just accepted that using my iPhone will be a PTA here. ( and I always use my iPhone )

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
So many Internet forums are totally free, yet they upgraded their software.

I’m wondering if the owner has checked how much such a transition would cost and how many people would be willing to pay for it. I guess a particular reason for the difficulty is UBB has been abandoned long ago. So it will indeed cost to pay for a customized database migration to another forum software.

I think it’s doable. But would mostly depend on how many people would find that important. That’s where things usually got lost quickly IMO.

SiFi Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sidokar
For baroque music, I prefer modern pianists to almost everything that was recorded in the 50s-60s and before (harpsichord excluded). Pianists have made an incredible step forward in terms of lisibility, clarity, style, ... and there are a number of very personal interpretations out there.

I would generally agree with this. Gould of course was active in the 50s and 60s, but he was something of an outlier.

Something completely unrelated: whenever I think of Gould, I almost always think of Bobby Fischer for some reason. I know they were both eccentric geniuses, but there are/were lots of eccentric genii in all kinds of disciplines.

SRF
SiFi Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by parapiano
Something that anybody who identifies as 'young' right now might keep in mind is that every old person has been young before but not a single one of you lot has been old. If you don't understand the implications of that (and I admit that I never gave it serious thought myself either until a certain point in life), I believe it will be clearer when you're old. And hang on, because many of us find that it happens really, really fast.

I love this paragraph!

SRF
Originally Posted by SiFi
....Something completely unrelated: whenever I think of Gould, I almost always think of Bobby Fischer for some reason.

I say right on.
Kinda.

I know they were both eccentric geniuses, but there are/were lots of eccentric genii in all kinds of disciplines.

I wouldn't say "lots," at least not like that.
In fact I can't think of anyone else at all from that generation or more recent ones who I'd put quite in their 'category' (to the extent that we can say they're a category).

SiFi Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Just to be clear about what I said on the other thread:
I didn't really mean (not particularly) that I thought our current membership is younger than it used to be (although I won't be surprised if it looks like I meant that!).

For some reason, "clear" doesn't seem like the perfect adjective for this sentence. grin

. . . What I meant was that most of the very active members from then are either gone from here or pretty inactive, and my impression is that the newer active members tend to be younger than us older timers are now.

So it's like, "If Jim was older than Jack was 10 years ago and John is younger than Jack is now but older than Jim was then, how old is Jeremiah now and does that make him an old timer?" ha

As for the rest of it, I'm staying out of it for now. grin

That's too bad, because what you've already contributed is wonderfully entertaining. smile

SRF
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 04:38 PM
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 03:44 PM
My tech knows I am OCD
by RobAC - 12/02/21 02:09 PM
A little OT - a Thanksgiving Day piano float
by Rich Galassini - 12/02/21 01:50 PM
Preventing noise transmission
by happyhacker - 12/02/21 01:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,354
Posts3,150,268
Members103,492
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission