2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
39 members (DeckardWill, Animisha, David B, CraiginNZ, Andrew E., brennbaer, 13 invisible), 651 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3149916 08/26/21 08:43 AM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Being an early gen-X'er growing up in the relatively protected neck of the woods called Denmark, it was not until I joined PW that I realized there was a demi-god by name of Horowitz. Here, he is celebrated like almost none other, yet he was not really a much-talked-about pianist as I grew up.

This raises a couple of questions in my mind: was Horowitz more of a "big name" in some countries than in others (e.g. more in North America than in Western Europe)? And did he have certain composeres he tended towards, and others he tended away from?

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Horowitz played/recorded a lot of Scarlatti, Chopin. Rachmaninov, Liszt, Schumann. Scriabin. For some of these composers he may have frequently performed them but still had a relatively small repertoire of their compositiions.

He played very little Bach, Brahms, and Ravel.

For Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert, Debussy, Prokoviev, I'd put him somewhere between the first two categories.

All the above are just my personal estimates.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
In 1987 Horowitz (then 82 years old) gave a homecoming concert, "Horowitz in Vienna", which turned out to be more like a farewell concert (he died two years later).
In the same year, the public was enamored by the young Kissin (then 16 years old) as he delivered his Tokyo debut, "Kissin in Tokyo".

A rising tide lifts all the boats
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
You will find this list of Horowitz’s concerts interesting in that he performed in Europe many years prior to his US debut in 1928

https://vladimirhorowitz.com/1_4_Concertography.html

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
Being an early gen-X'er growing up in the relatively protected neck of the woods called Denmark, it was not until I joined PW that I realized there was a demi-god by name of Horowitz. Here, he is celebrated like almost none other, yet he was not really a much-talked-about pianist as I grew up.

This raises a couple of questions in my mind: was Horowitz more of a "big name" in some countries than in others (e.g. more in North America than in Western Europe)? And did he have certain composeres he tended towards, and others he tended away from?

I am in Western Europe. Since Horowitz emigrated to the US and lived there, it certainly contributed to a larger audience, but he was quite celebrated also in Europe. The issue is that starting with 1936, he did not play much concerts and only in the US till the 80s. He gave a few concerts outside the US in the 80s.

Most people know him mainly through the recordings he made, mainly with RCA.

Like Pianoloverus, I like his Scarlatti, some Chopin .... He recorded several Haydn sonatas which are wonderful. For other composers, like Mozart, Debussy or Beethoven I rarely listen to Horowitz.

Blüthner model 6
Online Content
I think he was just about an equal legend the world over.

That is, the classical music world over, including I think everywhere.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Like Pianoloverus, I like his Scarlatti, some Chopin ....

About his Chopin, when I first heard him play the Waltz Op. 69 No. 1, I honestly thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I had never heard anything so achingly beautiful in my life. Same thing with his Schubert Gb Impromptu. I have tried over and over to imitate the touch, tone, rhythmic finesse, etc. that he conveys in the "C" section of the waltz, but I've never come close.

Here's a terrible recording, but you do get a sense of the magic (and there's even a wrong note thrown in for good measure). If you start listening around 1:30, you may get a sense of what I'm talking about.

SRF
Online Content
Need we say, it's "terrible" only if we don't love it done that way!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Need we say, it's "terrible" only if we don't love it done that way!

You mean the recording itself? The volume levels and balance are off, no richness to the sound, it may not even be stereo. The performance itself is immaculate! Or did you think I meant the performance was terrible?

SRF
Online Content
Sorry! I did think you meant the playing.
(I did wonder about the other, 'studied' the post some more, and concluded wrong!)

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
It is a wonderdul version indeed. Typical Horowitz ... He was nearly 80 at that concert. It was part of the last set of concerts he gave outside the US in the 80s.

Blüthner model 6
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It is a wonderdul version indeed. Typical Horowitz ... He was nearly 80 at that concert. It was part of the last set of concerts he gave outside the US in the 80s.

I think the BBC broadcast it live. I was still in England at that time.

SRF
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SiFi

I think the BBC broadcast it live. I was still in England at that time.

Prior to World War II Horowitz played throughout Europe (including Spain, Poland, and then Czechoslovakia) and North America. He seems never to have played in South America - nor in Australasia.

Horowitz's post-WW II career, when he wasn't in one of his retirements, was mostly centered in the US with occasional trips to Canada and at least one concert in Cuba. He played in London and Paris in 1951, and again in London in 1982. By then, anti-depressant medication was impacting his playing, which was noticeable in 1982 and severely impaired him in 1983 - the same year as his first concerts in Japan.

His 1985-1987 concerts represent his first extensive, international tour since before WWII (Paris, Milan, Russia, Hamburg, Berlin, Frankfurt, London, Amsterdam, Vienna, Tokyo, and selected US cities) - and his last.

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
F
F
Horowitz was also a music revivalist. Here are just some of the pieces he has played throughout his long career that are not "standard repertoire".

Moszkowski's Ètude (Op. 72 No. 6)
Moszkowski's "Etincelles" (Op. 36 No. 6)
Medtner's Tale in A major (Op. 51 No. 3)
Clementi's Sonata quasi Concerto (Op. 33 No. 3)
Czerny's Variations on a Theme by Rode (Op. 33)
Liszt's Impromptu in F-sharp (S. 191)
Barber's Sonata (Op. 26)
Kabalevsky's Sonata No. 3 (Op. 46)

Grieg's Ballade in G minor (Op. 24)*
Medtner's Sonata in G minor (Op. 22)*

* = Never recorded

Pianist-in-training who changes his signature...alot.

I believe certain composers and their pieces in the less-played repertoire ought to be re-examined.
R
R
My late father-in-law was principal second violinist of the Dallas Symphony for about 30 years and got to perform with most major soloists during that time. He said the most incredible moment was when Horowitz did the Chopin Polonaise for an encore. When it got to the section with the thundering left hand octaves, he swore the whole orchestra was floating several inches above their seats it was so unbelievable! Would have liked to have his seat right behind Horowitz when he performed that.

Last edited by randymerk; 08/29/21 01:11 AM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by randymerk
My late father-in-law was principal second violinist of the Dallas Symphony for about 30 years and got to perform with most major soloists during that time. He said the most incredible moment was when Horowitz did the Chopin Polonaise for an encore. When it got to the section with the thundering left hand octaves, he swore the whole orchestra was floating several inches above their seats it was so unbelievable! Would have liked to have his seat right behind Horowitz when he performed that.

I wonder what concerto he had played!

Main candidates, I think:
Beethoven Emperor
Rachmaninoff 3rd
....or, if toward the end of his career, Mozart A major K. 488

R
R

Beethoven Emperor
Rachmaninoff 3rd

He never mentioned the concerto. All he could talk about was the Polonaise. He told me this story in the late '70s and it sounded like it had happened quite a bit in the past, so it must have been during Horowitz' prime.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

Beethoven Emperor
Rachmaninoff 3rd

He never mentioned the concerto. All he could talk about was the Polonaise. He told me this story in the late '70s and it sounded like it had happened quite a bit in the past, so it must have been during Horowitz' prime.

In the link I posted earlier, there are two Dallas performances: 1975 snd 1877. The repertoire played is not listed for either.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Online Content
Originally Posted by dogperson
In the link I posted earlier, there are two Dallas performances: 1975 and [1977]. The repertoire played is not listed for either.

Yes -- I looked there too.
The 1975 concert seems to have been just a solo recital, maybe the other also.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
I'm guessing that this performance took place in the Fair Park Music Hall - which is where the Dallas Symphony performed prior to relocating in 1989 to the Meyerson Symphony Center. The Music Hall was/is a 3,400 seat barn with awful acoustics - but I bet Horowitz's thunderous octaves filled the place with sound anyway. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Such a great piece!
by Qazsedcft - 05/17/22 04:48 AM
A mysterious and irritating phenomena..
by Rallent - 05/16/22 11:14 PM
Kawai GL50
by Tuface - 05/16/22 09:34 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,109
Posts3,192,136
Members105,292
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission