2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, 8 invisible), 1,255 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi Guys.

Any feedback on the playability of ivory ii upright pianos from those who own them?

are they comparable to the modern U?

How are they in terms of playability?

Thanks in advance

Of this was discussed before I do apologize.
I’m terrible at navigating the forum.
My search results seldom result answers fsr

The Modern U is an absolute delight..

It feels alive .

Cheers

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
From what I read, the Ivory II uprights are good, but Modern U (from my playing experience) is much better. True, if you are looking for a ragtime sound, and something that has some wear, the Ivory will do better than the Modern U. But for just tone and playability, I like the Modern U a lot.

M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I’m really amazed by the Modern U..

Whatever vi labs did this time around they nailed it.

The piano sings

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
C
C
I've always *loved* the sound of the Hume in the Ivory demos I've heard, and if I could buy just that instrument, I would. But the last thing I need is a bundle with tack/honkytonk pianos I'll never use!

Is there a trial version?
I would like to try the modern U and the Italian, but before buying them
I would like to try them ..

Petrof P125 * Roland LX 706 * Pianoteq 8 - Grand Steinway B & D - Petrof - Steingraeber - U4 - Grand K2 // Garritan - CFX // Vsl - B.Upright - D.274 // Addictive Keys - Modern Upright // ViLabs - Modern U // Kontakt - Noire - The Grandeur - The Gentleman // Production Voices - Production Grand 2
R
R
My opinion of Ivory is not very high.

If you are going in that direction, you may as well get pianoteq.
At least the quality of Pianoteq is higher then Ivory and you get more bang for you buck.

The modern U is not in the league as Ivory.

Ron

My opinion.

Ron
Kawai CA79

VSL (BÖSENDORFER 280VC, CFX, Steinway D-274), Modern U, Ravenscroft275, Noire, Lounge Lizard EP-4

(Not Used much) Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Bechstein Digital, , Auddict_Dorian_Marko, The Grandeur,, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't know about the uprights, but in my view the Studio Grands are excellent. They feel like real live grands.

Pianoteq doesn't come close.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@OldSoul, There aren't any demos which, of course, isn't as it should be but is all too common in VSTi land.

I have no experience with the True Keys Italian, I can only say it is generally considered of a lesser quality (for it is older, from an earlier stage in the life of VI Labs) than Ravenscroft 275 and most recently Modern U.

As for Modern U, this thread put me on its track:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2944125/vi-labs-modern-u-review.html

As a daily Modern U player I can report it is every bit as good as @David B presents it in his video -- and then some.

Hope this helps.

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
The studio grands was the other library I was considering actually.

Not sure if the American D is superior or not to the studio grands

When listening to demoes everything sounds good

I’m guessing in terms of playability though the studio grands may be better?

More recent tech etc.

Whatever I do get though I’ll test it out and post my opinions on it

I’m leaning to the studio grands atm

Just wanna have one good and decent Steinway
With the studio grands I get a bosie too wink

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Vintage D sounds amazing but I always have a bit of trouble controlling it.

It doesn’t listen as well as I’d like

I’m playing and it just responds really nice sometimes and other times a loud note comes out of nowhere and I’m like dude, I didn’t play that. I didn’t press u that hard why are u yelling at me.

Anyways my two cents

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I’ve had that issue with vintage D across the board. With the ghs Yamaha. With the Roland pha4 standard and now with the rm3 action. Which is a lot firmer and heavier than the other two.

Not sure why .

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Before you rush out and get the Studio Grands, I would like to mention that they don't sound great out of the box for me, because the Roland FP-30 action does not match the samples well. In my opinion the weakest part of Ivory II is the velocity curve flexibility, which is quite limited compared to e.g. Pianoteq. It has required a lot of messing about with the settings to get everything sounding nice (and there are REALLY many settings to mess about with in Ivory II).

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
And that’s the caveat right there.

I’m very sensitive to touch and response

Which is strange because I can usually adjust to almost any acoustic piano there is

And we have a lot of century old acoustic uprights locally which have weathered the tropics surprisingly well

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I had no clue what it was that bothered me all these years

Only after reading constantly on forums such as this I realized it was

1. Latency issues

And

2. Velocity switching I think it’s called ?

And well velocity curves not matching up to the software creating an unatural experience

Probably why my brain often gravitates towards pianoteq after a while even though it sounds a little synthetic in some aspects

What’s lovely about this new modern U tho is I don’t have issues with its playability

It’s fine without any tinkering

Similar experience with the CFx garritan

Decent out of the box

Only issue is it’s a resource hog and it’s difficult to get a dry sound

The samples themselves have alot of resonance

I’ll probably just stick with the pianoteq for now and wait on vi labs next offering

They nailed it with playability it seems

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
@HZpiano

Hello Hzpiano, thanks for the info, now I'm going to read the topic, thanks for reporting.
In recent months I use CFX which I like a lot, I looked around a bit, but if you can't try them I won't buy them, in the case of a great discount ok, but not at the moment.

Petrof P125 * Roland LX 706 * Pianoteq 8 - Grand Steinway B & D - Petrof - Steingraeber - U4 - Grand K2 // Garritan - CFX // Vsl - B.Upright - D.274 // Addictive Keys - Modern Upright // ViLabs - Modern U // Kontakt - Noire - The Grandeur - The Gentleman // Production Voices - Production Grand 2
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm now exploring the world of recording using VIs and stuff..

Decided to mesh a screen recording and wav file this morning because YouTube doesn't allow audio files frown

I'm still amazed at how well the Modern U responds and sounds and feels.

For anyone who are fans of Pianoteq and I know they are far and few between in this particular website, You all need to try this particular VSt.

As long as you got a decent system the playability is amazing.

I think a common problem with VSTs is most folks just don't have the proper set up.

not enough amplification etc.

and you end up compensating by playing hard which gives a very harsh tone from the pianos.

I'm currently using a FiiO a3 amp for all my VSTs with an AKG mkii studio monitor headphones.
For whatever reasons all my VSts are soft via the Mac headphone jack alone. the ohm impedance of the headphones is 55 I'm guessing that's why.

anyways hope you guys enjoy

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
If I had an upright in my home, I'd be very happy if it sounded and played like VI Lab's Modern U. Thanks for sharing.

God Bless,
David

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Mta88, well played and the Modern U has a nice sound. Although the name of the song is Can't Help Falling in Love. wink

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
C
C
I have both the VI Labs Modern U (which is superb and incredibly realistic in touch & sound), and the Ivory Uprights, which I think are the most realistic of all the Ivory pianos (I have all of them). The Ivory Vintage Upright has a certain character I've not heard in other uprights (an early 1900's large American piano) and the Barroom Upright is even more characterful, without becoming too Honky-Tonky. I don't play the Ivory Tack Upright or Ivory Yamaha U5 as much – I think VI Labs really nailed it as far as Yamaha Uprights go!

Aside from those, don't overlook the Addictive Keys Modern Upright (also a Yamaha U3) - it's very well sampled, scripted and natural sounding, with multiple mic sets and great dynamics. It can often be found on special or 2nd hand on music forum Classified sections for around $25-30. I rate it quite closely to the VI Labs Modern U.

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
T
T
Originally Posted by TheodorN
Mta88, well played and the Modern U has a nice sound. Although the name of the song is Can't Help Falling in Love. wink

Lol I was wondering if I was going crazy when I started hearing the song. Thanks for clarifying this for us!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission