2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3151936 08/31/21 09:42 PM
OP Offline
The ever beguiling Tiffany Poon plays Schumann on this piano, attributed to André Stein. It's fascinating how the mists of time impact the responses of listeners in the comments, as if the composer "speaks" through his wife and her piano. I have no problems with it. I'm moved as well.

Chickering & Sons Patrician
5’ 8.5” (174 cm)
Aeolian-American Corp.
East Rochester, NY
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Nice video to watch but the piano sounds horrible by modern standards(or maybe it's just terribly out of tune).

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/01/21 08:30 AM.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Nice video to watch but the piano sounds horrible by modern standards(or maybe it's just terribly out of tune).
It is 'correctly' tuned about a semitone down from concert pitch, the same as all the pianos I played in the 50's.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
A little twangy. I wonder if that would still hold in a newly-built piano of that design.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Thank you for posting! Listening to Traumerei on that piano was a special moment for myself.No not horrible at all but "magical",and different.The piano does sound similar to some old vintage pianos of today -a "special beauty all of their own".

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
It may be "magical", but it sounds pretty bad. Out of tune. If it has multiple strings per note, the unisons are out. Of course, there is probably no plate, so I bet it goes out of tune before you finish a piece.

And there is no guarantee that is what it sounded like in 1827 - probably not. I have heard some reproduction straight strung pianos that sound much better.

But it is "magical" in the sense that it was played by Clara and Robert and maybe others as well.

Sam

Last edited by Sam S; 09/01/21 03:26 PM.

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Yes it does. Some unisons are horrible. That's not part of historical tuning. That's out of tune...period.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
It may be "magical", but it sounds pretty bad. Out of tune. If it has multiple strings per note, the unisons are out. Of course, there is probably no plate, so I bet it goes out of tune before you finish a piece.

And there is no guarantee that is what it sounded like in 1827 - probably not. I have heard some reproduction straight strung pianos that sound much better.

But it is "magical" in the sense that it was played by Clara and Robert and maybe others as well.

Sam
Yes like some of the members pianos here in the Fall before they are tuned...Still nice to hear a tone that is not so standardized ...Yamaha Oh..! ..just another Cookie!
It was interesting enough for the pianist to record and post on YouTube as well.If you have no imagination of course I understand.
Out of tune flawed, still a thing of beauty!

Originally Posted by tre corda
Originally Posted by Sam S

Sam
Yes like some of the members pianos here in the Fall before they are tuned...Still nice to hear a tone that is not so standardized ...Yamaha Oh..! ..just another Cookie!
It was interesting enough for the pianist to record and post on YouTube as well.If you have no imagination of course I understand.
Out of tune flawed, still a thing of beauty!
If I didn't tune my piano for ten years, I think it would sound better than this piano. It's the piano's provenance not its quality that makes it interesting.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Quality? The piano is a period instrument not comparable to as a modern piano.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

Not comparable in terms of the quality of its sound.

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
But still tunable in a historically accurate manner. One should do that ideally soon before publishing a video to be seen worldwide demonstrating the historic qualities of the instrument.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by P W Grey
But still tunable in a historically accurate manner. One should do that ideally soon before publishing a video to be seen worldwide demonstrating the historic qualities of the instrument.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor
I agree it would have been a great deal nicer! Even in its out of of tuness I could still hear the differences of timbre in the different registers, so different to the modern piano.Today we have a plush tone often, heavily influenced by Yamaha and Steinway.
Of course we appreciate the piano of today but this is glimpse into that time,when great music was being written, before the piano was (sometimes) seen as just a commodity.I would love to have heard what a 19th century Pianoloverus would have had to say then at that time when he heard a beautiful Clara Schumann playing some of her husband's exquisite music on this piano.Would the piano have sounded far better, yes of course.I do believe we still we hear echoes of the original instrument in its present condition.The piano is obviously out of tune but not atonal.
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Not comparable because being a modern person you have little idea of the aesthetic ideals of the 19th century.

Not comparable because being a modern person you have little idea of the aesthetic ideals of the 19th century.[/quote]I think the change in the piano's tone from early 19th to late 19th century was mostly because the makers and public/performers felt the newer tone was superior and not because the aesthetic changed. IOW if the earlier makers had been able to make a piano that sounded like the late 19th models they would have chosen to do so from the beginning.

It's certainly possible that if the piano in the video was in excellent tune, it would not sound so bad compared to current pianos but I doubt we'll ever know. I also find the tone on some forte pianos I've heard not as pleasing as modern pianos but definitely superior to the one in this thread.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Listen to the tone in this forte piano at about 10:00

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Now I wonder what on earth could inspired Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven,and Schubert to write all those piano works.I wonder why they dressed so oddly? I mean those dreadful wigs and frills? How could Mozat write, what ..20 piano concertos, many distinctly for the forte piano and not the harpsichord. Wow what a fool! I mean then actually performing them in public on those tin cans? OK we know the man was not very successful in his own day.But he was known as a pianist.Even the dumbest aristocracy busy picking their noses during a performance could have told you that.

That Moonlight sonata written for what type of instrument? I
mean just stick your foot down on the sustainig pedal at beginning of the Adagio and hold the pedal down forever into eternity? Perhaps it was magical? Try that today on modern piano, see what happens???
The Presto Agitato, I mean why write, why be inspired to write
such a piece when you could not get the affect that you wanted.Just imagine the frustration?Then he goes on writes the Tempest, the Appasionata and much more?
The Mozart concerto K466 written for a junkie fortepiano.The man must have been thick! 😳
But of course! They were composing just music for us..

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

Now I wonder what on earth could inspired Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven,and Schubert to write all those piano works.I wonder why they dressed so oddly? I mean those dreadful wigs and frills? How could Mozat write, what ..20 piano concertos, many distinctly for the forte piano and not the harpsichord. Wow what a fool! I mean then actually performing them in public on those tin cans? OK we know the man was not very successful in his own day.But he was known as a pianist.Even the dumbest aristocracy busy picking their noses during a performance could have told you that.

That Moonlight sonata written for what type of instrument? I mean just stick your foot down on the sustainig pedal at beginning of the Adagio and hold the pedal down forever into eternity? Perhaps it was magical? Try that today on modern piano, see what happens???
The Presto Agitato, I mean why write, why be inspired to write such a piece when you could not get the affect that you wanted.Just imagine the frustration?Then he goes on writes the Tempest, the Appasionata and much more?
The Mozart concerto K466 written for a junkie fortepiano.The man must have been thick! 😳
Those composers wrote for the best instruments available at the time.That doesn't mean they wouldn't have preferred instruments from the late 1800's or the pianos of today. They didn't have the choice between those instruments. And it's certainly possible that the pianos Beethoven etc. performed on sounded better than the Wieck piano in this thread. I already said I thought the forte pianos I've heard sounded better than that piano.

B
BDB Offline
B
Beethoven was not known for taking good care of his pianos.

Semipro Tech
A
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
A
http://www.frederickcollection.org/index.html Has anyone played any of the pianos at the Frederick Collection in Ashburnham, Massachusetts? We visited the collection a decade or more ago. We saw, but did not play any of the old instruments. Some were of the vintage of Beethoven and Clara Wieck.

Boesendorfer 225 (1985)
Yamaha S400E (predecessor to CF4) Disklavier (1992)
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

That Moonlight sonata written for what type of instrument? I
mean just stick your foot down on the sustainig pedal at beginning of the Adagio and hold the pedal down forever into eternity? Perhaps it was magical? Try that today on modern piano, see what happens???
The Presto Agitato, I mean why write, why be inspired to write
such a piece when you could not get the affect that you wanted.Just imagine the frustration?Then he goes on writes the Tempest, the Appasionata and much more?

+1 !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission