2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BruceD
You will get the same "touch and tone" if you record the serial number of the piano you like in the showroom, assure that that serial number is on the bill of sale, and verify that the piano delivered is the one with the recorded serial number. The only variable being that the acoustics in the home might affect how one hears the tone of the piano, but the action must be the same if you get the same piano.

This is very good advice. I bought my K300 unseen. There was a 500 euro price difference if I wanted a floor model from a different store which I thought was too much.

Having said that, when delivered my K300 played well, light, no problems, but after a few weeks some keys became slow. The reason was that it became more humid in my home. Not too much by normal standards, 60-65% RH, but too much for my piano. It needed some repinning, which the dealer did for free, but sometimes I still think some keys are a bit slow around 65% RH, so at some point I may have it regulated by a good technician. So all I am saying is that even if it play fantastic on the dealers floor, results may still be different in your home. A piano should be able to accommodate RH up to 70% or so, but how to test this beforehand?

JerryFan2000 says his K300 keys were very heavy. It may well be that he had similar problems as I had (whippen pins too tight in more humid conditions).

If you want to be certain of good regulation you may need to budget in an additional 500 euro/USD when buying the piano in case problems arise later.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by pianogabe
A piano should be able to accommodate RH up to 70% or so, but how to test this beforehand?
At that humidity you'll run into another problem (mold).

A rising tide lifts all the boats
A
A
I bought my k300 aures fresh out of the box sight unseen. The action played well but I did have a problem with a few hammers coming loose and buzzing after a couple months. Took a couple visits from dealers technician to solve the issue.

Working on:
Bach English Suite #2
Schubert Sonata A major D 959
Chopin Ballade #2

Practicing on:
Yamaha P-515
Kawai NV10s

Playing on:
1890 Steinway C (PianoCraft restoration pending)
2023 C. Bechstein A6

Old Flames:
2019 C. Bechstein Concert A192
2020 Kawai K-300 Aures
2012 Kawai RX-2
2014 Mason Hamlin 50
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
Originally Posted by pianogabe
A piano should be able to accommodate RH up to 70% or so, but how to test this beforehand?
At thatl humidity you'll run into another problem (mold).
I believe the hammers become heavy because the felt absorbs
moisture in the air.I suppose everything will become slower.
Also not good for the instrument in the long run.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

M
M
@APianistHasNoName, your signature lists the K300 Aures as an "old flame". If you don't mind me asking, what was the reason for letting it go so quickly?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
Split the difference and get the K-400
whome
K400 has a way better music desk anyway. 👍🙂

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
A
A
Originally Posted by Monoch
@APianistHasNoName, your signature lists the K300 Aures as an "old flame". If you don't mind me asking, what was the reason for letting it go so quickly?

I got the k300 aures because I got back into piano and wanted a silent instrument. However I quickly realized that I missed the action and sound of a grand piano. And once I started playing again, I quickly got much more serious than I anticipated, practicing about 10 hours per week. I liked the K300 for what it is but just wanted something more inspiring for my studies.

Working on:
Bach English Suite #2
Schubert Sonata A major D 959
Chopin Ballade #2

Practicing on:
Yamaha P-515
Kawai NV10s

Playing on:
1890 Steinway C (PianoCraft restoration pending)
2023 C. Bechstein A6

Old Flames:
2019 C. Bechstein Concert A192
2020 Kawai K-300 Aures
2012 Kawai RX-2
2014 Mason Hamlin 50
M
M
Well that C. Bechstein sure looks like a fantastic instrument (never played one myself).

Too bad about the steep depreciation on the K300 though (read in another of your posts that you sold it to your neighbor).

C
Cutec Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Finally tried the Kawai K300. Richer and smoother than the K200 next to it. However the K200 would probably suffice for my beginner level of playing. Also smaller and cheaper. I did find it hard to control the action on both, probably because I've only ever played a digital. Don't know whether I'd adjust enough to bring out the qualities of an acoustic or whether I should just get the entry level K15 which may be less imposing and perhaps easier to play? Other than that I sometimes find myself looking at a less maintenance/headphone/ Ca99 or NV5s
If I save for another year I would also look at a k200/300Atx silent system. Would give me more freedom to play with neighbours.
Feel free to comment on any of the above.

G
G
I would vote for the K300. You will probably never need to upgrade. Keep the digital as well, for playing silently at night or for taking it with you for a gig or whatever. Makes sense for any pianist to also have a portable digital.

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
The details of the neighbour situation may be important. Since you are a relative beginner but obviously serious about playing piano, you will need to practice a reasonable amount on most days. And a non-negligible part of that will be repetitive and in developmental state. At the same time you don't want to feel hesitant about practicing. Having a headphone option is really nice. So you could go for the K300 and keep the digital for scales etc, late-night playing. Or go for the K200 ATX3.

I faced the same choice under similar conditions 1.5 years ago. I didn't want to dedicate space for two pianos (house is relatively small), and even more importantly, I need to practice a lot. Most of my playing time really, and I wanted to do that on an acoustic action, not the digital I had (that was causing serious joint problems). So I went for a silent K300.

There is an advanced player here on the forum, Gamma1734, who has a K200 ATX3, and is happy with it. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJlYsz0wNkoaOhPKVnscKXQ

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I had access to a piano inferior to a K15 for my first 7 years of lessons (after which I switched to organ study). It was a Cable-Nelson spinet. At the time the piano was made, the Cable-Nelson brand was owned by Everett, and used for their less expensive product line. It was not fabulous, but it is what my family owned. I did not perceive it as a limitation as a youngster at the time. My older sister had 12 years of lessons using the same piano.

I think a K15, K200, or K300 all will meet the needs of a beginning piano student.

Last edited by Sweelinck; 09/09/21 03:20 PM.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
C
Cutec Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks Sweelinck. I think you're right re your last paragraph. Unfortunately as stated , at my age this will be my first and last Acoustic, hence the procrastination.
Still tempted by the K15 but never heard anyone on the forum who has had one. Would love to know if they outgrew it as they progressed.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cutec
Thanks Sweelinck. I think you're right re your last paragraph. Unfortunately as stated , at my age this will be my first and last Acoustic, hence the procrastination.
Still tempted by the K15 but never heard anyone on the forum who has had one. Would love to know if they outgrew it as they progressed.
If you can swing the cost of a K200 I'd encourage you to go that route instead. Sturdier more substantial case, higher quality action and hammers, tapered soundboard, etc. You'd be less likely to outgrow the K200 than the K15.

https://kawaius.com/product/k-200/

https://kawaius.com/product/k-15/

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I agree-- if this will be your first and last piano, I would recommend the K200 or K300 or K500.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I don't know if the shorter stature of the K-15 also translates to a lower keyboard position as measured from the floor - it looks like it but this is not part of the specs. At any rate, apparently there is no such thing as a standard keyboard height:

https://livingpianos.com/are-piano-keyboards-all-the-same-height/
You would think there would be a standard height of keyboards on pianos. After all, you rarely take your piano with you when you perform, so having a normal height would seem like something you should expect. Sadly, this is not the case when it comes to the height of keyboards on pianos.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I tried stacking the diagrams for K-500, K-300, K-200, and K-15 from the brochures (the K-15 resized accounting for the 110 cm height vs 114 cm in K-200). Assuming that the diagrams are drawn to scale, it looks like the keyboard for the K-15 may be at least 9 cm lower than the others. Depending on your leg measurements this may work to your detriment or benefit.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission