2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Craig Hair, Cheeeeee, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 4 invisible), 1,278 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Working on the K 545 I've realized two glaring problems with my playing:

1. It's very hard for me to play fast, light and even and play piano. Speed and accuracy tends to come out forte, so this has been fun to work on.

2. My thumbs are extremely heavy. I don't know why I never realized before that when I crossover with my scales my thumbs are so insanely loud. So now I'm deliberately playing my thumbs softer and recalibrating, which is causing my timing/accuracy to falter. I'm hoping this is a temporary correction...

What about you guys?

My youtube channel where I discuss theory, performance, cover some tunes, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCruDLJseRHB_04Zwz0NXVGg
J
J
My biggest struggle is always playing quietly. There's a point at which you risk failing to make a sound at all, and I struggle to go near that threshold without crossing it. And it's even worse if it's a slow recitative passage, where a missing note makes the music stop making sense.

When I'm practicing at home, I have a bad habit of just keeping the soft pedal on all the time, which is really not a good idea, generally, even for an upright (where it doesn't change the timbre the way it does for a grand piano), and I'm in the process of trying to un-train myself on this.

My instinct for counterpoint is to emphasise it with volume, but that tends to create a bit of a pile-on where I'm having to rein in the overall volume.

It's an eternal struggle, though, and my teachers were always telling me to play more quietly. This is one (of many) reasons to familiarise yourself with a piano you're going to be performing on — knowing how quietly you can comfortably play is pretty critical, and it's somewhat piano-specific.

Last edited by Jun-Dai; 09/09/21 06:04 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I’m learning a number of pages with a complex configuration of fast, RH, 16th notes, some of which have to be brought out because the melody is hidden within them. Talk about the need for slow practice! (Rachmaninov 16/1). It’s fun but takes a lot of concentration.

Hint on quiet playing: think about depressing the key slowly and make sure your fingers are resting on the key surface before you descend.

Best regards,

Deborah
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by CodySean
My thumbs are extremely heavy.
*hanon* (cough)
whome

A rising tide lifts all the boats
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
play K545 is easy but play well K545 is extremely challenging. For sure K545 is a better replacement for Hanon or Czerny.
Once you have fixed those problems, you will see other problems appearing for K545.

1970s' Petrof 125
youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY5TdJHAB6HAYYgdgQliww
recent added:Rachmaninoff Paganini variation 18 first day practice
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by zonzi
play K545 is easy but play well K545 is extremely challenging. For sure K545 is a better replacement for Hanon or Czerny.
Once you have fixed those problems, you will see other problems appearing for K545.
What?! What problems could I possibly have for K545 after I fix the unevenness in my scales? It seems like the ultimate hurdle for me, besides the trills...And I feel I have a very good grasp of the dynamics and musicality.

My youtube channel where I discuss theory, performance, cover some tunes, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCruDLJseRHB_04Zwz0NXVGg
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Revisiting Weber's Invitation to Dance and trying to memorize all the minor differences in the repeats (for its therapeutic effect :-).

Last edited by newport; 09/10/21 01:24 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
rehearsing Schubert D.960, the triplets in the 3rd subject of the 1st movement are humiliating me.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
J
J
I've generally avoided virtuoso pieces, but for some reason Op. 10 No. 1 has always drawn me like a moth to a flame. I decided to give it a real swing this summer, but boy is it ego bruising. It takes a lot of discipline to crank up the tempo and aim for anything even remotely close to note perfect. And it turns out my "real swing" was little more than a light tap on the piñata, with no real chance of cracking it open.

It also takes more stick-tuitiveness than I have, and that's a nice humbling lesson. I do it for a few days, leave it, come back to it, etc., I think at my peak I could play it fairly well (not note-perfect) at 105, and terribly at 120, and at 130 it's just not sustainable for my forearms and my wrists start to get tense. And I've not had the discipline to do it consistently enough to ratchet it past that. I was pretty happy to even get it that far, given where I was when I started, and for the first few weeks I made considerable progress, but it was clear that I would need to invest a lot more attention to get much further.

I'll give it another swing, I'm sure. But not right now.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Recovering from 3 fractures in my RH, I can barely reach an octave or hold any note with RH 5.
Hand therapy is scheduled.

Learner
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Ouch, malkin! Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
Ouch, malkin! Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
Yes, indeed. Heal fast.

Best regards,

Deborah
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by malkin
Recovering from 3 fractures in my RH, I can barely reach an octave or hold any note with RH 5.
3 fractures, what a horrible accident must have happened to you. Get well soon. My best wishes to you.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin

How bad and how sad!

Do you know about this book?: https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/left-alone-right-on-sheet-music/4909484?ac=1&aff_id=401440

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
You mean playing with left hand alone? I would do the opposite. Playing piano is a wonderful recovery instrument for hands, and for joints health it's important to begin exercising as soon as possible.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission