2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (accordeur, bubbaXzone, BWV846, anotherscott, Bostonmoores, Ajax69, 22 invisible), 783 guests, and 569 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
Originally Posted by drewr
..... ironically, thanks to increasing info superhighway life , past go-to butt serviceable TP substitutes - phone books, huge catalogs and other non-glossy, bound print - and the diminishing returns therein , other more basic input/output-based productions may soon struggle to NOT get wiped off the face of the ....you know 😐

Chapeau!!.... thumb

Analogue: Sauter - Hohner - Solton; Digital: Casio - Yamaha;
(A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush)
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
All of the above compels me to reiterate my refusal to buy my much-anticipated new piano this year.

In 2019 I held off because I'd soon be retiring and moving.
In 2020 I held off because of 'rona.

In 2021 I'm holding off because there are simply no pianos.
No stock? No purchase!

I hope I live long enough to get past these roadblocks.

Fingers crossed for you.

Everyone has different priorities and requirements, and I think Mac, you have always held the line that getting a good price is of key importance to you, so hopefully the supply constraints ease soon. I might humbly suggest considering that holding off for 3 years would be quite the stretch for many of us, including myself. And if enjoyment from having a new instrument is worth a few extra dollars, at some point the lost opportunity from saving a few hundred dollars may not be worth the tradeoff in "losing" the price war to the dealer, especially in what should be golden retirement years? smile

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
@Gombessa: Actually two of those year's wait were prompted by my upcoming retirement and move. Rona was just there in 2020 to augment the list of reasons.

I moved my old Clav from FL to NC in 2013. No damage. I count myself lucky.

But I didn't want to move a really expensive piano from NC to PA.

And its just as well because this latest bunch of moving monkeys damaged my desk.
Well, it's just fake wood, and it still functions.

I shudder to think, though, had a shiny new <TBD-brand> <TBD-model> piano been similarly damaged.

Yes, the TP shortage hit America in the spring of 2020 and continued for many months.
Originally Posted by MBiG
Was this in 2020 also an issue in the US?
I thought that only we (crazy Germans) had nothing better to do than hoard toilet paper shortly before the supposed end of the world.

But blame the Brits for advising us to hoard. It was foretold centuries ago. smile

[Linked Image]

P
P
Originally Posted by Monoch
Originally Posted by Pete14
What’s the point of paying and then waitin’; why not simply check in with the dealer periodically, and if a unit is available for immediate delivery buy it on the spot?

I have also ordered a piano (back in January). However, I did not pay any down payment. I am simply put “in the queue” and will only pay upon delivery, so there is no financial risk for me. If I wouldn’t have ordered, I would not be able to get a piano even when the situation normalizes again, because there would be many people before me who have ordered. So that’s my reason for not waiting until a unit is available in stock.
This is also my situation and I expect that the dealer won't be mad at all if I don't want the piano anymore for some reason, there are already many people in the "queue". But of course, I really want that shiny NV5S asap smile

August Förster upright (sold). Kawai ES8 (sold). Kawai NV5S.
K
K
For what it's worth, I asked my Kawai dealer earlier this month when I might expect to get mine (I put in my order in early June), and they told me that basically all they know is that the piano is currently on a container ship sitting off Long Beach and they won't have further updates until that container gets unloaded.

Now, I know there has been seaport congestion because of a combination of COVID and Americans buying more stuff the past year, but I had not known that the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach have gotten really bad over the summer. Recently, there had been as many as over 70 container ships waiting to get into port (I've read that it's unusual to have more than one or two anchored outside the port). Similar stories abound at other seaports handling the bulk of international trade. And the fact that nearby warehouses are close to capacity certainly doesn't help either. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58643717

So if you're wondering where your Kawai is, it's probably in a container on one of these 70 ships. The reason why neither Kawai nor your dealer can give you any answers is that it's basically beyond either of their control.

Last edited by kibibyte; 09/26/21 12:12 AM.
P
P
I thought that about the dealer too @Pianico.
I ordered a GL10 right at the start of September because they "already had some ordered that were due in late October".
I called yesterday for an update and they first weren't sure, then went back and said "oh yes Kawai has now said Mid December".
Now I get it's hard for dealers if the supplier is messing them around. But I had to ring up and chase.
When he said it would be "mid December plus maybe 2 weeks to prep" I enquired about a refund and his whole demeanour changed and became very combative. "oh...oh, you don't want the piano now do you not?"
This baffled me as first it's not great customer service to be confrontational with a simple question, and second as @Pianico said there should be a queue (during the initial sale, much was made of "snap it up now" etc. etc. so they can't have it both ways).
Now I am tempted to go for a "New - on showroom floor" model from another supplier an hour away (the uk is small) for only $300 ish more.
As I said I'm sympathetic to their situation, but am quite annoyed at his tactic to keep me on the list.
He did point out it would be well in to next year if I came back to them or another supplier to order a new GL10. Which is true, and could have been pointed out more politely.
Part of me feels, as others have pointed out, that we have come to live in a "now now now" world and expect all deliveries to happen same day due to the big evil A-Corp using anyone and everyone to deliver their small things.
I also want to support local business, but I'm still irked by his reaction.
But would I be cutting off my nose to spite my face?
There is a very limited amount of stock out there in my price range and almost none of it is new. But as @Gombessa pointed out is it worth (as I am lucky enough to be able to afford it) spending $300-500 more for 2-3 years old or wait 1month or 6 months (as the target seems to constantly move)
?

W
W
Originally Posted by pobx
I thought that about the dealer too @Pianico.
I ordered a GL10 right at the start of September because they "already had some ordered that were due in late October".
I called yesterday for an update and they first weren't sure, then went back and said "oh yes Kawai has now said Mid December".
Now I get it's hard for dealers if the supplier is messing them around. But I had to ring up and chase.
When he said it would be "mid December plus maybe 2 weeks to prep" I enquired about a refund and his whole demeanour changed and became very combative. "oh...oh, you don't want the piano now do you not?"
This baffled me as first it's not great customer service to be confrontational with a simple question, and second as @Pianico said there should be a queue (during the initial sale, much was made of "snap it up now" etc. etc. so they can't have it both ways).
Now I am tempted to go for a "New - on showroom floor" model from another supplier an hour away (the uk is small) for only $300 ish more.
As I said I'm sympathetic to their situation, but am quite annoyed at his tactic to keep me on the list.
He did point out it would be well in to next year if I came back to them or another supplier to order a new GL10. Which is true, and could have been pointed out more politely.
Part of me feels, as others have pointed out, that we have come to live in a "now now now" world and expect all deliveries to happen same day due to the big evil A-Corp using anyone and everyone to deliver their small things.
I also want to support local business, but I'm still irked by his reaction.
But would I be cutting off my nose to spite my face?
There is a very limited amount of stock out there in my price range and almost none of it is new. But as @Gombessa pointed out is it worth (as I am lucky enough to be able to afford it) spending $300-500 more for 2-3 years old or wait 1month or 6 months (as the target seems to constantly move)
?

I would tell them: “As you continue to add some week more to my waiting time, let’s do like this: from Monday on, each week of delay will cost you 10 EUR discount. Deal?”

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 04:38 PM
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 03:44 PM
My tech knows I am OCD
by RobAC - 12/02/21 02:09 PM
A little OT - a Thanksgiving Day piano float
by Rich Galassini - 12/02/21 01:50 PM
Preventing noise transmission
by happyhacker - 12/02/21 01:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,354
Posts3,150,258
Members103,492
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission