2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
J
hilarious smile

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Tozen
Why do you ask?

Hi Tozen: with JoeT the correct question is not "why do you ask?", but why do you answer... 😊

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Some heated discussion here…

With the disclaimer I’m a (slightly advanced) amateur and largely self-taught pianist, my answer to thread title goes like this:

“Is practicing on a lower-end digital piano good?”

Let’s say it’s not bad. But not good either. IMO.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoeT
I've been playing about 3 years now and started on a P-45.

Did you try Liszt Etudes back then?

Obviously not. I think I was tackling "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and such back then. wink Why do you ask?

There's one or two nursery rhymes Mozart did. Try them instead!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
I've been playing about 3 years now and started on a P-45.

Did you try Liszt Etudes back then?

Obviously not. I think I was tackling "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and such back then. wink Why do you ask?

There's one or two nursery rhymes Mozart did. Try them instead!

There are fine pianists who are good at turning old children’s dittys into music easily appreciated by people of all ages .....

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Pete14
Yes, it’s called the Yamaha P-515! grin

Are you, like Gombessa, going to tell me that my immortally beloved P-515 does not have a ‘true’ action?

Wait, how did I get pulled into this conversation?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Yes, it’s called the Yamaha P-515! grin

Are you, like Gombessa, going to tell me that my immortally beloved P-515 does not have a ‘true’ action?

Doesn’t the P515 action « truly » opposes an inertia thanks to the hammer below the key and « truly » sends a note velocity ? We can’t deny this trueness.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 09/16/21 04:34 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
T
T
Originally Posted by Tupac
I said it MIMICKS the action of a grand piano.

An upright piano action mimics the action of a grand piano. Not the newest one, but an older single escapement model. Still fine for playing any repertoire except the latest and most difficult.

A digital piano doesn't mimic any piano action, not even one of 1699. In fact the piano action is simply missing in a digital piano. There is just a key attached to a hammer weight through some plastic-joint. It mimics a grand piano action as much as organ action, harpsichord action or clavichord action mimics a grand piano action.

Not even hybrid digital pianos mimic piano actions. They just have real piano actions installed in their full original configuration minus the felt that hit the strings.

It will be physically impossible to play pieces that require fast single key repetition on an upright. It will be possible on a CA99.

Fast single key repetition is also possible on a Casiotone CT-S1 or IBM Model M. Neither "mimic" a grand piano action:

[Linked Image]
"A digital piano doesn't mimic any piano action" Yes they do, that's the entire point. That's why Kawai named their action "Grand Feel" instead of "Plastic Folded Action Feel". You're arguing about backing technology, I'm arguing about the user experience. Are you going to tell me that an e-reader does not mimic real books in their reading experience? "But it doesn't even use real paper!! And it's not made with trees!!"

Yes, digital piano makers like to claim that their instruments compare favorably with the finest Continental pianos found in the famous salons of Vienna.

Lovely marketing. Lovely bullcrud. They can name it Grand Feel. But such trade names are fictitious and meaningless.

The real world is different. But ... if you insist that a folded digital piano action mimics a grand action, then I might claim that my chocolate chip cookie mimics a Porsche roadster. smile

W
W
When I was a kid my family had no money to buy (or rent) a piano.

So I drafted a keyboard on a piece of cardboard and I started to practice singing the notes while I was pressing the corresponding key.

Believe me or not, I learnt the first two or three Beyer exercises.

I assume that a low end digital piano is better than a piece of cardboard…

Last edited by WTF Bach; 09/16/21 08:03 PM.
C
C
Originally Posted by maucycy
Originally Posted by Chris James
I find some of the views expressed in this thread a bit strange.

I play some quite advanced pieces on my FP10, (I have a recording of one of them in the members recording area on this forum at the moment) and as long as I use Pianoteq to provide the sound I find the results rather pleasing. As an amateur I am not trying to emulate concert pianists here, I'm just playing for my own enjoyment. And enjoy it I do...

Sure, of course I would prefer to play on an acoustic grand (or even an upright), but to suggest that digital pianos are not suitable for practicing classical pieces is just plain wrong in my view.

You might as well argue that playing on upright pianos is a waste of time because they do not have a proper grand piano action.

Sorry but your c-minor nocturne is far from what I can call "pleasing" and is both technically and musically far above your playing level (too hard). I really dont know why all amateurs strive to play difficult things bad instead of playing simple things well?
Do you know what rubato means?

I think we'd all very much like to hear your rendition of the Chopin piece now. Your assertion that the piece is "far above me" is pretty crass (crude), but since I am an amateur I freely admit that there are doubtless better renditions out there. Of course I have only been regularly playing (for the first time in 20 years) for 10 months, so I expect I shall improve quite quickly over the next 10.
Where is your rendition of this piece, so we can set the "mark" towards which I should aim?

Last edited by Chris James; 09/16/21 09:06 PM.
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Yes, digital piano makers like to claim that their instruments compare favorably with the finest Continental pianos found in the famous salons of Vienna.

Lovely marketing. Lovely bullcrud. They can name it Grand Feel. But such trade names are fictitious and meaningless.

The real world is different. But ... if you insist that a folded digital piano action mimics a grand action, then I might claim that my chocolate chip cookie mimics a Porsche roadster. smile

But they've been assidiously attempting to update the grand piano, into something with more clarity and less interference from resonances.
No doubt they've been looking at streamlining the action, too. Getting rid of springs and stuff.
Secretly, they are dead jealous of digitals and would just love to electronify the action of a grand. It'd be easy.
What's stopping them?
People who think the world is flat.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
So, soon acoustic pianos will work on "Play by wire" with sensors on the keys and actuators on the hammers?

Or it could be wireless, so you can have the grand in the middle of the room and take the keyboard with you to the sofa.

"Play by wire(less)" would also enable the development of player assisting technologies like auto-correction.

As for the actual topic: So, low-end digital pianos are meant for low-end piano music? (And low-end players?)

M
M
I think we'd all very much like to hear your rendition of the Chopin piece now. Your assertion that the piece is "far above me" is pretty crass (crude), but since I am an amateur I freely admit that there are doubtless better renditions out there. Of course I have only been regularly playing (for the first time in 20 years) for 10 months, so I expect I shall improve quite quickly over the next 10.
Where is your rendition of this piece, so we can set the "mark" towards which I should aim?

I will be more than happy to write detailed analysis why this is piece is too hard for you.
As I said - noone is expecting you (or any other amateur pianist) to play it on a uber-virtuoso level. However, this piece is too difficult for you, and as long as you will not be able to admit it before yourself and will just rebounce the ball, my (or anyone other help) will be pointless.
Eventually it's your decision whether you want to be a good pianist or not. By good I mean playing the pieces that are within your abilities (technically and musically), and that Nocturne is making you a lot of pain, which is just visually visible.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
As for the actual topic: So, low-end digital pianos are meant for low-end piano music? (And low-end players?)

If high-end piano music is classical music and low end music is song, well some argue that digital piano are not made for high-end music but for low end music. There is a teacher saying that, so is opinion is worth listening.
There is another teacher (well known in England) that has, in his teacher room, a bechstein grand but also a Casio gp-310. I think he is arguing that the digital is good help for practicing.
Who is right who is wrong? I think neither. Because that are opinions, and depends of circumstances of a lot of variables..
A digital is not an acoustic piano, it is not the same artefact. But at which level are they close. What to consider?
Making loud noise of ones own opinion against the opinion of others, just make no-sense (again). But teach a lot about the psiche of who is shooting loud.
Non-sense, self satisfaction, arrogance, sometimes agresivity, mockery..... Opinions for facts...
Typing in this forum won't increase my piano skills, and will take my time away. So yours.

Cheers

"La critique est facile, mais l'art reste difficile"
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo

The mean truth is: They are meant to sell.

To sell at a price bracket, where you cannot legitimately create a musical instrument, that faithfully reproduces a piano. They are money-grabs in that sense. Money-grabs usually work, when people have no clue: no clue about tools they purchase, no clue about repertoire and no clue about their own abilities. Proof: this thread.

Sadly that's all that is to it actually. The lowest tier (which is colloquially nicknamed "shitbox" in the automotive industry) saw loads of dispensable models released during the last decade, where just one would have sufficed.

However such a race to the bottom usually also marks the end of a boom cycle. The last upright piano boom cycle also saw lots of crap flooding the market in the end of it, before people stopped buying them and lots of manufacturers going broke as a result.

Yamaha P-515
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Of course I have only been regularly playing (for the first time in 20 years) for 10 months, so I expect I shall improve quite quickly over the next 10.

For many people on this forum Chopin's nocturnes are beyond their skill level, even when they are playing piano for several years with the help of a piano teacher trained for classical piano. That should tell you something.

Please have a look at the ABRSM and RCM syllabus to assess which pieces are appropriate for beginners at a certain level. Each level roughly equates to a year of professional piano lessons.

Yamaha P-515
C
C
Originally Posted by maucycy

I will be more than happy to write detailed analysis why this is piece is too hard for you.
As I said - noone is expecting you (or any other amateur pianist) to play it on a uber-virtuoso level. However, this piece is too difficult for you, and as long as you will not be able to admit it before yourself and will just rebounce the ball, my (or anyone other help) will be pointless.
Eventually it's your decision whether you want to be a good pianist or not. By good I mean playing the pieces that are within your abilities (technically and musically), and that Nocturne is making you a lot of pain, which is just visually visible.

You are a moron. A condescending moron.

I could write a detailed analysis of why that is the case, but I doubt you would have the capacity to understand it.

Either post a video of you playing this piece or take your bullshit and shove it up your ass.

C
C
Well. I have more than 10 years of piano playing experience...from the age of 7 to 18....then I stopped for 25 years.

I know what my playing level is, and the Nocturnes (including 48-1) are all well within reach of my playing level (though some are clearly more challenging than others).

Last edited by Chris James; 09/17/21 06:28 AM.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission