2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
49 members (Charles Cohen, David B, Bruce In Philly, cygnusdei, DFx, anotherscott, 8 invisible), 734 guests, and 457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
What do you think of the CSP 170 action (if you have played the piano)? I have not played it yet but was attracted by videos I have seen because of the simplicity. I like that there are very few buttons and knobs, and I think I'd find an iPad user interface more intuitive than what I have seen on digital pianos. Is it a problem that the CSP 170 has been discontinued? Is the software well updated and do you think it will continue to be?

For 15 years I owned a Yamaha CVP 210. Before that I had a Mason & Hamlin 5'4" baby grand. I thought the action and sound on the CVP 210 were good. But that's 15 year old technology, so I'd guess anything I buy now over $2,500 should be better, no? The CVP 210 user interface was way too busy for me. I never used the styles or accompaniment, or playing chords with a single finger or anything like that. I just wanted a good piano feel, good piano sound, ability to play with headphones and not disturb others, and ability to add in a few sounds - muted trumpet, sax, guitar. I don't need the ability to customize my sounds 1,000 different way, and don't want to spend the time learning to. I'd probably buy an acoustic piano now, but need something smaller because of my current living space. I also prefer something a bit more moveable. Not portable daily for work or anything, but just if I move in a year, something that won't be a huge project to move with me. And I want the ability to play silently with headphones. There are so many choices now, it's confusing. So far I have been interested in the Roland RD2000, not primarily because of the piano itself but because there seems to be more video tutorials on how to use the features available online than with other pianos. I was also looking at the Yamaha U-1 Trans-Acoustic upright, but its 24 inch depth exceeds the space where I wanted to locate it by around 2.25 inches. I guess I'll need to check the same issue on the stage pianos I have been looking at. I have heard that the Kawai M11SE has a wonderful action. But it also looks too complicated to use for my tastes. Too many buttons and options I don't need and therefore would actually prefer not to have, for simplicity.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by RedmondSteve
Is it a problem that the CSP 170 has been discontinued?

It is? I don't see Yamaha saying that.

Originally Posted by RedmondSteve
Is the software well updated and do you think it will continue to be?

Who knows for how long it will be maintained and for how low iOS versions any new Yamaha software is compatible.

There's the risk of the app's current version not working on some new future iOS versions. (Unlikely as backwards compatibility is usually maintained by Apple and Yamaha might fix any problems on their side.)

There's the risk of the app's new versions requiring some minimum iOS version higher than today and your iPad becoming "obsolete" that way. But then you just buy a new iPad.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I like the simplicity (knoblessness) of the CSP line of pianos. But I'd hesitate to buy a piano that Yamaha treats as a one-off. And I would not accept being tied to a phone.

Other pianos have no such limitation.

Controls are present on many pianos, but they're much less extensive and obtrusive than on your CVP model.

And still other pianos have touch pads. These offer the clean look you seem to prefer.

S
S
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I like the simplicity (knoblessness) of the CSP line of pianos. But I'd hesitate to buy a piano that Yamaha treats as a one-off. And I would not accept being tied to a phone.

Other pianos have no such limitation.

Controls are present on many pianos, but they're much less extensive and obtrusive than on your CVP model.

And still other pianos have touch pads. These offer the clean look you seem to prefer.

You will always own a phone, and the app will be maintained as it is the same app they use for other models. Only more voices and exclusive features that differ. Features that will probably be carried over to new pianos in the future if the series is cancelled.

I'm interested in the fact that OP claim that the series is discontinued. Is that true?

R
R
Originally Posted by snurrfint
I'm interested in the fact that OP claim that the series is discontinued. Is that true?

All I heard from one of the authorized clavinova dealers here was that the CSP 150 was retired....... but didn't mention same for the 170

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Let off Upside down,Cannibalized, weighted, & spring loaded
by Chernobieff Piano - 10/20/21 12:34 AM
Beethoven German Dance for Geinners
by scientistplayspian - 10/19/21 09:10 PM
Liszt Un Sospiro fingering, score
by Jim P - 10/19/21 07:54 PM
Corrosion on strings
by Skeetcando - 10/19/21 07:10 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,663
Posts3,140,776
Members103,060
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission