2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (cygnusdei, ChrisGoesPiano, CraiginNZ, apianostudent, danno858, beginer, deadlymajesty, David B, astrotoy, 8 invisible), 504 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
Dito ......
but that's the dilemma, or should I say "curse and blessing" (German expression) of every forum, not just the one here.

Last edited by MBiG; 09/19/21 11:39 AM.

Analogue: Sauter - Hohner - Solton; Digital: Casio - Yamaha;
(A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush)
E
E
Funny experience of my own about Novus series.
I was in Kawai showroom yesterday and tried by NV5s and NV10s by myself. Btw I am owner of CA99 and was thinking about switch to NV5s. So I tried NV5s and was totally disapointed about keyboard after CA99. And the funny thing is that Kawai made immitation of grand mechanic (I mean grand feel 3) so well, that it's more enjoyable to play on it instead of real upright mechanic of NV5s. I told that to consultant in showroom and he told me that that opinion shares professional pianists, who comparied those instruments.

P
P
Originally Posted by EugeneJenia
And the funny thing is that Kawai made immitation of grand mechanic (I mean grand feel 3) so well, that it's more enjoyable to play on it instead of real upright mechanic of NV5s.

The priority of the NV5/NV10 action is to be realistic. It can only ever be as enjoyable to play as a real acoustic action is.

Digital actions have different priorities. Yes, realism is one of them, but it only needs to be "good enough". Basically at the level of ticking checkboxes: hammers, graded, escapement simulation, wood (!?). Enjoyable to play, best if noticable in the first few minutes in a piano shop, is certainly a very big priority, and of course price.

Last edited by pppianomarc; 09/20/21 07:06 AM.
E
E
Under enjoyable I mean feelings as close as possible to grand millenim action on real kawai grands. For me it is standart for any mechanics - doesn't matter is it upright action of acoustic/hybrid or digital instrument with immitation.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I told that to consultant in showroom and he told me that that opinion shares professional pianists, who comparied those instruments.

I can assure you that-that opinion is not shared by professional pianists who compared those-those instruments.

This is called ‘consultant BS’; which is a commonly used tactic in where the consultant agrees with the customer on everything in order to establish a phony sense of congeniality.

If you don’t believe me, go back in there and tell him that your favorite colour is blue, and guess what his favorite colour will be? You guessed it, blue!

Now, that is not to say that your preference of the CA99 over the N5V is not valid, but it does not necessarily extend to the vast community of pianists.

E
E
Originally Posted by Pete14
I told that to consultant in showroom and he told me that that opinion shares professional pianists, who comparied those instruments.

I can assure you that-that opinion is not shared by professional pianists who compared those-those instruments.

This is called ‘consultant BS’; which is a commonly used tactic in where the consultant agrees with the customer on everything in order to establish a phony sense of congeniality.

If you don’t believe me, go back in there and tell him that your favorite colour is blue, and guess what his favorite colour will be? You guessed it, blue!

Don't think so. It doesn't make sense, because I came there and said that I want to change my CA99 on NV5S. There's just no point for any consultant to agree with opinion about my experience with GF3 compared to NV5S action, when potentional client wants to buy their product which is x2 more expensive.

P
P
Under enjoyable I mean feelings as close as possible to grand millenim action on real kawai grands.

My main complaint about digital actions is "upweight". Play a piece with dense chords (4 or all 5 fingers down, best if in both hands). Play the piece very slowly, holding each chord for 2 seconds with your fingers. To me it feels as if the (digital) keys are constantly fighting back against my fingers. I'm loosing notes after a second of holding them down, except when I conciously tense (!) my fingers throughout the whole piece.

On a "real" action, I can use inertia, combined with a short moment of tension in the fingers, to bring the keys down, and little more than gravity to keep them down.

It's been a long time since I tried a GF action (GF2 in my case). Maybe it fares better than others in this test?

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
It could be that he doesn’t have an NV5(S) in stock, and one bird in hand is better than two birds in the air?

Now, let’s assume that his favorite colour is indeed blue (just like yours), and that ‘he’, too, prefers the CA99 over the NV5(S); it is still a bit of a stretch to say that this is shared by professional pianists who compared those instruments; unless he can produce a document proving that ‘all’ professional pianists concurred on the CA99.

And I’m talking about verified signatures of the aforementioned professionals coupled with explicit not implied statements supporting his claim.

E
E
Originally Posted by Pete14
It could be that he doesn’t have an NV5(S) in stock, and one bird in hand is better than two birds in the air?

Now, let’s assume that his favorite colour is indeed blue (just like yours), and that ‘he’, too, prefers the CA99 over the NV5(S); it is still a bit of a stretch to say that this is shared by professional pianists who compared those instruments; unless he can produce a document proving that ‘all’ professional pianists concurred on the CA99.

And I’m talking about verified signatures of the aforementioned professionals coupled with explicit not implied statements supporting his claim.

Don't want to participate this kind of theories. Only facts - it is official Kawai show room, and they don't sell instruments there, they just show them (all of them including real concert grands). NV5s was there and it was available for test. In that showroom often piano concerts and masterclasses are held, so there are a lot of pianists (including professionals) who test and play on those. So those are sharing their feelings about instruments.
I never mentioned that consultant told that "all" pianists said that, only those who played on those instruments.
Beside this, it doesn't matter - the main idea is that TS can test GF3 with CA99 too if he looking for soundboard + grand piano actions experience.

P
P
Originally Posted by pppianomarc
My main complaint about digital actions is "upweight". Play a piece with dense chords (4 or all 5 fingers down, best if in both hands). Play the piece very slowly, holding each chord for 2 seconds with your fingers. To me it feels as if the (digital) keys are constantly fighting back against my fingers. I'm loosing notes after a second of holding them down, except when I conciously tense (!) my fingers throughout the whole piece.

On a "real" action, I can use inertia, combined with a short moment of tension in the fingers, to bring the keys down, and little more than gravity to keep them down.

I had a CA58 with a GFC action and what you are describing is exactly the reason for me to switch to an (upright) acoustic action. The inability to hold keys down with almost relaxed fingers. It may be worse on a GFC as compared to GF2 or 3 because the keys are bit shorter, making this effect even more pronounced near the fall board.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Mehlin & Sons Piano Identification
by LeviWhitted - 12/06/21 08:37 PM
jack position button not present in old grand
by f4tune81 - 12/06/21 08:11 PM
Thinking about recital #65
by stevedoz - 12/06/21 04:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,420
Posts3,151,114
Members103,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission