2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (eddiepiano, astrotoy, deadlymajesty, DPC, Flygbladet, FrankCox, Alex C, 9 invisible), 515 guests, and 429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Carey Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I learned and recorded this sonata in late 2010 for submission to a Piano World E-Cital celebrating Beethoven's 240th birthday. Eleven years have passed, and upon listening to the recording again, I figured it deserved a fresh video presentation. Learning the sonata was a challenge (the second movement in particular, with it's tricky twists and turns) but well worth the effort. Hope you enjoy listening.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Carey:

I enjoyed that so much. Lovely, articulate playing that really brought the work to life. The images have a freshness to them that certainly enhances the video (Bavaria?).

Thank you for sharing your talent.

Regards,

Last edited by BruceD; 09/22/21 04:08 PM.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Carey Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by BruceD
Carey:

I enjoyed that so much. Lovely, articulate playing that really brought the work to life. The images have a freshness to them that certainly enhances the video (Bavaria?).

Thank you for sharing your talent.
Thank you for your kind comments, Bruce. Much appreciated. I'm pleased with the recording myself. Yes, the images are of Bavaria as well as Heidelberg (where I was stationed with the Seventh Army Soldiers Chorus in 1970-71), Bonn (Beethoven's home town) and "the German countryside." smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Z
Z
Very precise execution! very good

1970s' Petrof 125
youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY5TdJHAB6HAYYgdgQliww
recent added:BACH WTC I bwv847 C minor
S
S
Sweet piece charmingly played. What a treat - definitely worth revisiting.

I wonder which of your instruments you were using? The reason I ask is the release of the semi-staccato notes at around 0:45 sound a bit strange. Perhaps either the mic was very near the dampers, or the volume of the release samples was a bit high. Or maybe it's just me. (If it was your M&H the quality of the recording is otherwise excellent.)

Last edited by stephen22; 09/28/21 07:54 AM.
Carey Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by stephen22
Sweet piece charmingly played. What a treat - definitely worth revisiting.

I wonder which of your instruments you were using? The reason I ask is the release of the semi-staccato notes at around 0:45 sound a bit strange. Perhaps either the mic was very near the dampers, or the volume of the release samples was a bit high. Or maybe it's just me. (If it was your M&H the quality of the recording is otherwise excellent.)
Stephen, thank you so much for listening and commenting. Glad you enjoyed it. The sonata was recorded on my M&H using a single AKG Perception 200 condenser microphone that (I recall) was placed fairly close to the piano. About a year later I purchased a second AKG 200 and found a more effective placement for the two microphones further from the instrument. As a result, the mechanical aspects of producing the piano sounds are less obvious in my more recent recordings. Cheers! smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
T
T
Hi Carey!

Thank you so much for presenting this very special sonata by Beethoven! What could he say more after having reached huge "mountain peaks" like "Waldstein" or "Appassionata"? He needed some time to find the answer – a very short sonata with only two movements and a very different atmosphere! The heroic tone of the big sisters is gone, now there is a certain autumnal shine, the composer has said "goodbye" to his earlier dreams....

Your recording, accompanied by very tastefully selected pictures, perfectly catches this new, let's say. pre-romantic tone, cheers! I enjoyed listening to it!

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
What a gem. This is the first time I hear this piece. It was such a treat. Impeccable rhythm and sparkling sound as always.

Carey Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tony007
Hi Carey! Thank you so much for presenting this very special sonata by Beethoven! What could he say more after having reached huge "mountain peaks" like "Waldstein" or "Appassionata"? He needed some time to find the answer – a very short sonata with only two movements and a very different atmosphere! The heroic tone of the big sisters is gone, now there is a certain autumnal shine, the composer has said "goodbye" to his earlier dreams....Your recording, accompanied by very tastefully selected pictures, perfectly catches this new, let's say. pre-romantic tone, cheers! I enjoyed listening to it!
Thank you Tony. I appreciate you listening and commenting on both the playing and the presentation. You make a good point about the position of this work in the context of Beethoven's significant earlier achievements in his Opus 53 (1804) and Opus 57 (1804-06). The Opus 78 was composed in 1809 - the same year Beethoven composed the magnificent Emperor Concerto (Opus 73), the charming but lightweight Opus 79 "Cuckoo" sonata and the more profound and interpretively challenging Opus 81a "Les Adieux" sonata (1809-10). Somehow I get the sense that he was experimenting during this phase of his career. Another seven years passed before he composed the earliest of his late sonatas (Opus 101) in 1816 - although some might argue that the two movement Opus 90 (1814) is the earliest of the late sonatas.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Carey Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
What a gem. This is the first time I hear this piece. It was such a treat. Impeccable rhythm and sparkling sound as always.
Glad you enjoyed it. It is a gem, isn't it? When I was a sophomore in college my roommate let me use his portable record player. I brought two LP's with me to school that year from my stepfather's small classical LP collection. One LP featured the Opus 78 - and after numerous hearings I fell in love with the piece. It wasn't until I retired a few years ago that I decided to try to learn it. At that point it was like becoming reacquainted with an old friend. I knew what the sonata was supposed to sound like - but getting my fingers and brain to cooperate was another matter entirely. smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Splendid, all of the playing, the Alemannische scenery, and especially the allegro vivace, starting with the photos of the autograph! My first piano LP love was Rubinstein Plays Brahms, which was only monophonic in those days. (Maybe if I try recording with only ONE microphone my piano will sound half as good as your M&H?)

"I will hear in Heaven." Beethoven
Carey Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by doctor S
Splendid, all of the playing, the Alemannische scenery, and especially the allegro vivace, starting with the photos of the autograph! My first piano LP love was Rubinstein Plays Brahms, which was only monophonic in those days. (Maybe if I try recording with only ONE microphone my piano will sound half as good as your M&H?)
"Alemannische scenery." Love it !! grin Thanks for listening and commenting Doc. I remember enjoying many monophonic classical LPs as a kid. Their inherent limitations didn't bother me at all since I was happy they weren't 78's. Also, I'm not completely convinced that two mics are better than one when recording piano. As for Beethoven, I recall hearing your recording of the 3rd movement of the Opus 109. Impressive playing. Of course, you are always welcome to drop by for a visit and play my M&H whenever you're in town. Best -

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital

Moderated by  Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Mehlin & Sons Piano Identification
by LeviWhitted - 12/06/21 08:37 PM
jack position button not present in old grand
by f4tune81 - 12/06/21 08:11 PM
Thinking about recital #65
by stevedoz - 12/06/21 04:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,420
Posts3,151,113
Members103,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission