2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (Charles Cohen, CraiginNZ, curates_egg, 13bwl, Calavera, C. L., dima5222, brennbaer, 7 invisible), 469 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3160373 09/29/21 08:49 AM
R
Raf702 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hey everyone! Since there is a plethora of options, I'm currently stumped on what to choose. Hopefully I can narrow down my interests and gain some tips from experienced users here. Firstly, I don't do any professional recordings. Although I might consider casual recordings very seldomly for personal use. I strictly play contemporary Christian worship music, so I'm not necessarily focused on any other genres. And I just want to expand from the current default acoustic piano tones within my Roland FP-30. I'm not really interested in e-piano tones either, mainly acoustic. Here are a few of my current concerns. I appreciate any feedback, thanks!

-Most realistic/authentic acoustic tone(modeled vs sampled)?
-Affordable pricing; range of $75-200 USD?
-Basic to moderate tonal customization/standalone program?
-1-3 piano model choices?

Last edited by Raf702; 09/29/21 08:51 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Everyone has their preferences, and these are all over the map. It's a bit like asking which restaurant you should go to while visiting some large city. Our ears are all wired differently (well, maybe it's rather our brains that are), so one person will listen to piano sound X and hear only bliss and eternal happiness, whereas the next person suffers a thousand deaths in the deepest netherworld from listening to that same piano sound.

Another point to consider: most realistic may not be most beautiful. For my money the most realistic (that I own) are the Ivory II Studio Grands, but the most beautiful is Garritan CFX Lite. Oh, and the Production Voices Estate Grand is a highly realistic rendition of an acoustic piano that you would not want to own; it's ... let's call it an "uneven playing experience". smile

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
While there are many options with good sound and playability, these 3 probably match your kind of music and price range the best IMHO:
- NI NOIRE
- Embertone Walker
- VI Labs Modern U

First 2 run on free KONTAKT PLAYER, VI Labs uses free UVI Workstation 3.

Many here love Garritan CFX. It matches all your criteria, but is not as customizable as options I mentioned above.

Last edited by VladK; 09/29/21 09:15 AM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I think with $200 you can get the Garritan CFX and be quite happy with it. More expensive products don't offer better sound/playing experience but expand on the number of mic perspectives - which are good for professional projects but not necessarily for personal use.

A rising tide lifts all the boats
H
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@Raf702, You've got some nice and useful answers above already.

One more consideration: keep an eye on what your computer can handle and weigh that in with your VSTi choice.

My love is for VI Labs Modern U, it is the only one I actually use for my studying and playing, driven from a Roland FP-10 and Kawai pedals. It easily ticks all your boxes -- if it is the kind of piano sound you're after. I just plain love it and get an actual piano playing 'illusion' from it (using an audio interface and decent amplifiers and speakers, not the FP-10's speakers!).

May I recommend 'studying' our very own @Gamma1734's extensive piano VSTi comparison? It is utterly helpful.

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

Q
Q
Go with your heart!

R
Raf702 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
Everyone has their preferences, and these are all over the map. It's a bit like asking which restaurant you should go to while visiting some large city. Our ears are all wired differently (well, maybe it's rather our brains that are), so one person will listen to piano sound X and hear only bliss and eternal happiness, whereas the next person suffers a thousand deaths in the deepest netherworld from listening to that same piano sound.

Another point to consider: most realistic may not be most beautiful. For my money the most realistic (that I own) are the Ivory II Studio Grands, but the most beautiful is Garritan CFX Lite. Oh, and the Production Voices Estate Grand is a highly realistic rendition of an acoustic piano that you would not want to own; it's ... let's call it an "uneven playing experience". smile

You're absolutely correct, everyone's ear and taste for sound is very subjective. I guess trying to get a general consensus would be a better way of asking. Certain tonal piano tones suit certain genres better than others. Thanks for your valued feedback!

R
Raf702 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by VladK
While there are many options with good sound and playability, these 3 probably match your kind of music and price range the best IMHO:
- NI NOIRE
- Embertone Walker
- VI Labs Modern U

First 2 run on free KONTAKT PLAYER, VI Labs uses free UVI Workstation 3.

Many here love Garritan CFX. It matches all your criteria, but is not as customizable as options I mentioned above.

I appreciate that! I just downloaded the free version of Konakt Player the other day. I will certaily look into those 3 options you mentioned.

R
Raf702 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
I think with $200 you can get the Garritan CFX and be quite happy with it. More expensive products don't offer better sound/playing experience but expand on the number of mic perspectives - which are good for professional projects but not necessarily for personal use.

Yes I did notice that higher price ranges added more versatility in tonal adjustments/recordings versus an improved sound. Thank you!

R
Raf702 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

@Raf702, You've got some nice and useful answers above already.

One more consideration: keep an eye on what your computer can handle and weigh that in with your VSTi choice.

My love is for VI Labs Modern U, it is the only one I actually use for my studying and playing, driven from a Roland FP-10 and Kawai pedals. It easily ticks all your boxes -- if it is the kind of piano sound you're after. I just plain love it and get an actual piano playing 'illusion' from it (using an audio interface and decent amplifiers and speakers, not the FP-10's speakers!).

May I recommend 'studying' our very own @Gamma1734's extensive piano VSTi comparison? It is utterly helpful.

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

I appreciate the input! I currently use an Apple MacBook Pro 15 or 16 can't remember. But it's about 3-4 years old, I think it's sufficient enough to handle, and I also have a basic AI the Behringer UM2. Nothing over the top, just enough to be operational and useful.

R
Raf702 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by qpalzm
Go with your heart!

The heart and ears say most sound great. Which means I'd probably go broke buying them all. Hahaha

R
Raf702 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
What's everyone's opinion regarding "The Grandeur" and "Alicia's Keys"?

R
Raf702 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
After listening to the comparisons based off everyone's suggestions. I collectively like them all, tough choice.

NI NOIRE
Embertone Walker 1955 D
VI Labs Modern U
Garritan CFX Lite
Alicia's Keys(NI)
The Grandeur(NI)

From the 6 listed, the CFX Lite/Embertone/Alicia's Keys/Grandeur is under the $100 mark, and produce quite pleasing tones. And the other 3 sound great as well, but they're in the $150-200 range, which is a tough pill to swallow.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Grandeur: Good, but with an intermittent honk in the bass. Easier to play than the Vintage D ... but it sounds much better than Grandeur.

Alicia's Keys: Terrible ... a blight on humanity.
Originally Posted by Raf702

R
Raf702 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Grandeur: Good, but with an intermittent honk in the bass. Easier to play than the Vintage D ... but it sounds much better than Grandeur.

Alicia's Keys: Terrible ... a blight on humanity.
Originally Posted by Raf702

I appreciate your input! I will certainly keep that in my memory bank during my process of elimination. Thanks!

C
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
C
Download a copy of Pianoteq -- free, for any version -- and see if you like it. Don't be afraid to experiment with settings, and try different piano models.

If you like it, pay for it -- either the "Stage" or "Standard" version -- with whatever piano models you enjoyed.

If you don't like it, you will have spent some time evaluating it, but you won't be out-of-pocket.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
R
Raf702 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Download a copy of Pianoteq -- free, for any version -- and see if you like it. Don't be afraid to experiment with settings, and try different piano models.

If you like it, pay for it -- either the "Stage" or "Standard" version -- with whatever piano models you enjoyed.

If you don't like it, you will have spent some time evaluating it, but you won't be out-of-pocket.

I appreciate that suggestion! I'll have to check that out. Thank you!

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Well... I kind of agree and disagree with MacMacMac... Alicia's keys may have the right tone for contemporary christian music, which is what you want. On the other hand, garritan cfx lite has several bright presets that may also work well, and the lite version is affordable.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, Alicia’s Key is a nice VST but not really for classical music. Garritan is quite nice.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Forgot to add that Modern U is also a very good choice (mybe even better than garritan).

In my opinion Noire is very muffled and dark by default.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shostakovich Second Waltz piano transcription..
by Petoskeyguy - 05/26/22 09:53 PM
Disklavier MKII : replace power supply?
by carlspost - 05/26/22 03:33 PM
Sight reading progress
by BlizzardPiano - 05/26/22 03:18 PM
13th Piano Composition Competition Fidelio (Extended!!)
by harmonium53 - 05/26/22 01:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,254
Posts3,194,760
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission