2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, bubbaXzone, BWV846, anotherscott, Bostonmoores, Ajax69, 22 invisible), 769 guests, and 564 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hi all, really troubled by this, any comments will be appreciated.
I have a Yamaha U1 silent piano which I bought near 1 year ago.
However, somehow find the tone is not as rich and clear as pure accoustic U1 and some other issues with the silent function.
Hence I intend to change back to full accoustic U1.
Someone recommend me to instead upgrade to YUS1, saying it sounds much better than U1.
I've never tried a YUS1 nor heard about it before but found out that it cost much more than U1.
Is the sound really much better than U1?
Is it worth upgrading? Thanks!

Last edited by pianoSH2020; 09/29/21 12:57 PM.

Currently Using Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Ubu Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
In my opinion not worth it.

Im not denying yus1 being an improvement compared to u1. But for the usual prices, i would stay on u1, wich is a wonderfully built upright.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The YUS1 is a hugh improvement to the U1. I feel it is worth your time to sit and play a YUS1 for a few minutes so you can answer this question for yourself. For your issues with the Silent System, I'm not sure which system you have, I'm wondering if it isn't something with the headphones. It could be a loose wire or a bad or wrong headphone jack.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
P
OP Offline
P
Intermittent sudden loud keys when playing in silent mode.
I spoke to the tuning technician from Yamaha (but nowadays tuning are outsourced to freelancer), he just said he heard such complaints from other customers before, and nothing much we can do about it. Every time it happens just reset the whole box.
Wearing the headphone for practicing more than half hour hurts my ears too, is it too tight?
And that's not the only problems, somehow it feels different when playing at friend's accoustic piano, worse, even during accoustic mode, certain keys are louder than the others after the 2nd tuning (or is this a tuning issue)?
Kind of regretted buying silent piano but I live in a small apartment, need to consider about the neighbors. I think perhaps just a get simple digital for night practice and change my piano to accoustic-only.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Get one with a practice pedal instead? A layer of felt that will make it quiet as a mouse, although still audible to you.

R
R
All U1s come with that mute rail that Maestro Lennie mentions. It's not that great though, it changes the feel pretty dramatically.

Enjoying the journey and the delicious music.
U1
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Keys that play louder is a regulation and voicing problem, rather than a tuning problem.

Semipro Tech
K
K
If you must upgrade, and I think u1 is a plenty capable piano, and and still considering Yamaha, I would go for u3 not yus1.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Other valid opinions expressed notwithstanding, the OP needs to play any "upgrade" model of Yamaha that s/he thinks might be an appropriate candidate for such a move. Then the decision can be made on the basis of personal preference.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
In the places I've lived, it's honestly difficult to find a dealer who stocks both a new U1 and YUS1. I'm trying to remember the last time I've even seen a YUS1.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
P
P
Originally Posted by pianoSH2020
I have a Yamaha U1 silent piano which I bought near 1 year ago.
However, somehow find the tone is not as rich and clear as pure accoustic U1 and some other issues with the silent function.
Hence I intend to change back to full accoustic U1.

This may be a regulation / voicing issue. The fact that it is a silent piano in itself should not have any influence on the tone (unless there are severe regulation issues). I would first have this U1 checked by a good technician to see if the problem can't be solved by fixing possible regulation issues, especially given that you do like other U1 pianos.

I agree however that intermittent loud notes from the silent system are unacceptable for a system that is just one year old. Yamaha should fix it.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I believe your U1 needs more attention from a good tech. As far as the Silent system goes, I have no advice beyond what Yamaha could offer, however, if your headphones hurt after 30 minutes, you need to get more comfortable headphones.

There are many opinions about headphones, but for comfort, you will want over-ear, and for your piano, you will want something that is a Reference-class.

An quality and comfortable headphone from Yamaha would be HPH-MT7, for example. I personally own about 5 different pairs of reference headphones

I've seen relatively few YU1 or YUS1's and they are more refined than the standard U1, but it's mostly a U1. If decide to eliminate the silent feature, then you should really look beyond Yamaha to other brands for a sound that suits you better.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
P
OP Offline
P
thanks all for the comments and suggestions. It seems like most suggest to keep to U1 as it is good enough. I might likely do that... Really disappointed with silent piano. Anyone who is considering silent piano, do think again carefully. Before buying, I had read a lot of reviews of the problems of silent piano but didn't take them seriously. And now regretting.

For the voicing and regulation... I'm a little worried to ask any technician to touch on the new piano. I've read somewhere that playing around the regulation and voicing is quite "dangerous" if the technician is not good. Even if the technician is from yamaha it says nothing about the quality of the service as these days majority is outsourced to freelancers. The tuning technician who came to my house told me that they just get "tuning jobs" from yamaha, while yamaha take a small part of their tuning fee. The first time he was very focused and took an hour plus to finish the work. The second time he took only about half an hour more. Totally disappointed with the service from yamaha.

Last edited by pianoSH2020; 10/04/21 01:55 AM.

K
kre Offline
K
I had Yamaha U3 with Silent mechanism. There was absolutely no issues with Silent function and piano sounded same as normal U3. Sounds like you need a tech visit.

V
V
As I understand the mechanical part of a silent U1 is not different from a regular U1 (apart from regulation), so while touch might be a bit different, sound should not be. If you want you can probably ask a technician to disable the silent function (stop rail specifically) and regulate let off just like on an acoustic U1, thus you will get a regular U1 for free (if we don't count regulation fee of course) and you can always go back if you need to, regulation is reversible. Any good technician can do it. As for YUS1, I tried YUS5 vs U3 and found YUS5 sound and touch noticeably better than U3, but the price was approaching GC1 and a grand is a grand (if you have a place for it). But you need to try and decide it yourself.

K
K
Originally Posted by pianoSH2020
The first time he was very focused and took an hour plus to finish the work. The second time he took only about half an hour more.
If the new piano has been on the dealer floor long enough that it’s been tuned numerous time, the piano is more stable at the time of delivery than one fresh out of the shipping crate. If the piano was fairly in tune at the the second tuning appointment, it wouldn’t have taken as long to tune it.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 04:38 PM
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 03:44 PM
My tech knows I am OCD
by RobAC - 12/02/21 02:09 PM
A little OT - a Thanksgiving Day piano float
by Rich Galassini - 12/02/21 01:50 PM
Preventing noise transmission
by happyhacker - 12/02/21 01:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,354
Posts3,150,258
Members103,492
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission