2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kosing Offline OP
OP Offline
K
This is my first post and I hope I can get some help for choosing a piano for my daughter.

I am planning to get a CLP-745 and we have been to Yamaha and tried to play a few times. It feels right and sounds alright. Though not comparible with an acoustic one. We live in an apartment and so digital is only option (slient is out of budget unfortunately).

I also found a second hand NU1 which the price is right below the new clp-745. The current owner bought it in 2017 and he is selling it because they dont play much anymore. I would want to get a NU-1X if I could afford. But is the older version NU1 a good choice?

Should I go for a new CLP-745 or second hand NU1?

Please advise.

Last edited by Kosing; 09/30/21 01:33 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
When buying a used piano always keep in mind that:

1. You must thoroughly test the piano. Every key, pedal, and function.
Don't be lured by a shiny finish. What matters most is what's inside, out of sight.

2. You get no warranty. There wouldn't be much warranty left anyway on a four-year-old Yamaha.
But you will get none. Warranties are not transferrable.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
The NU1 has the CFX sample-set, so that’s a good thing; however, there is the so-called ‘loud note’ issue (sudden loud notes that do not match the player’s input).

So, you’ll be happily playing along some Chopin and all of a sudden, out pops a loud note; yet, at times, you could be playing for hours and not experience the unwanted loud note(s).

Supposedly this has something to do with the mechanics of an upright action; where, under certain circumstances, you will get a ghost note (no sound), but with the NU1 instead of a silent stroke you get a loud note.

This issue was fixed/improved for the NU1X (firmware), but I’m not so sure about the NU1.

Still, assuming there is no fix for the NU1 and you can live with the ‘occasional’ loud note, the NU1 would still be the better choice. IMHO!

Might be prudent to consider the noise of the NU1's keyboard when not even switched on. It will be comparable with that of an acoustic.
These are quite loud.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So you tried a new CLP-745 and it sounded and felt alright. What did your daughter think?

You found a used NU1 ..... did you or your daughter try it ?

If you are leaning towards the NU1 you should at least think about what course of action to take if you need out of warranty service; where to go, who will do it?

Be aware that multiple owners of CLP745 have also noticed a few unpleasant sounds, with B sharps, in or around the third and fourth registers.

See the CLP7XX thread ( currently over 100 pages) starting on this page here with initial problem posted by Gaia.

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...lavinova-clp-700-series.html#Post3103131

Some have characterized this problem as odd resonance, some call it beeping, some say they notice it but do not mind, others say they do not notice. For the time being it seems Yamaha is not addressing this issue. Either way, if you are leaning towards the 745, even with a warranty, you should think about where to go or who will do it if you need service.

Good luck.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
Originally Posted by peterws
Might be prudent to consider the noise of the NU1's keyboard when not even switched on. It will be comparable with that of an acoustic.
These are quite loud.

However, the CLP key actions are also not comparable with acoustic ones wink I'd recommend you to compare the key action with the NU1X, acoustic U1/U3, and some DP competition (Kawai CA, Roland HP/LX with PHA50, Casio GP).

Sorry no personal experience with the NU1.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2856221/yamaha-nu1-loud-note-fix-sort-of.html

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I would take an NU1 over any CLP any day of the week. It's an amazing, top tier digital piano, no matter its drawbacks.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Pete14
The NU1 has the CFX sample-set, so that’s a good thing; however, there is the so-called ‘loud note’ issue (sudden loud notes that do not match the player’s input).
My NU1 does not have the CFX sample. I think this applies to the NU1X. Who cares anyway, add on an iPad if you want instant and easy access to other piano sounds if you get tired of the inbuilt ones. My NU1 has the firmware update to improve the loud note behaviour, which I never encounter; some Bach and only one easier Chopin in my repertoire. My NU1 is I think 9 years old now, action is good as new IMHO, certainly better than my teachers well maintained mini-grand. Some GAS but playing and practice comes first. Try before buy.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Your NU1 does have the CFX; what it does not have is the Bosendorfer.

Also, are you saying that Yamaha released a fix (firmware update) for the NU1?

Last I checked, there was no fix for the NU1, but if that has changed since, even better, and the more I would take the NU1 over the CLP745!

Keep in mind that ‘my choice’ is based on assuming that the NU1 is in excellent condition. It is the buyer’s responsibility to check and confirm this before buying.

K
Kosing Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for all your useful thoughts.

Yeah, there’s always risk when buying used ones. Especially when there’s no waranty left.

It’s hard to catch all hidden faults when trying a used piano under a short limit of time. Unlike a new one which I can try many times before I place an order.

My husband is leaning to buy a new 745 rather than a used one. Waranty is a must from his point of view.

The reason I was considering 745 was my daughter and I like the feeling with wooden keys. She could feel the difference when she played 735 and 745.
Same for me.

It’s really a tough decision. There’s though no perfect piano unless budget is bot a problem I guess.

Last edited by Kosing; 10/01/21 10:01 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission