2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Cominut, Animisha, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
The "Beginner Pieces" Themed Recital is now open for submissions!

The theme is "Beginner Pieces", so this is your chance to present a piece that would typically be performed by a beginner. It is up to the performer to decide if their choice fits the theme. If you need help choosing something, ask in the Adult Beginner's Forum. My suggestion is to select something that you might hear in a student recital, or something that you learned as a beginner.

If you are a beginner, you are especially welcome to participate.

Here are the rules for this recital:

1) Beginner pieces - you must decide if your choice fits the theme. I do not want to be the judge! You can ask for advice in this thread.
2) Any genre, any style, any period.
3) All skill levels are welcome, but the pieces should be "beginner" pieces.
4) Duplicate submissions are fine - we are all unique.
5) Multiple submissions are fine.

The recital will close for submissions at 6AM Eastern US time on October 15th, and go "live" soon after.

To submit your piece, go to recitals.pianoworld.com

Have fun!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Thank you Sam! I have looked forward to this recital. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm a little hesitant to post individual submissions. It's too much work to fill the forms out repeatedly, link MP3s, etc. Can we just post a link to a YouTube playlist smile Additionally, with easy pieces, I think it's possible we'll be overwhelmed with the number of entries. Perhaps I'll wait a bit before posting submitting anything else, or merge everything together into 1.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
You can combine into a medley. Mp3s are required, so just a video playlist will not work.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Additionally, with easy pieces, I think it's possible we'll be overwhelmed with the number of entries.

That would be so nice! Hundreds of easy pieces, such a lovely source of possible repertoire for the adult beginner. You listen to the pieces, this I want to learn, that I want to learn, no not this, ah yes that one!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ok, maybe I'll just post 1 entry per day, the 15 days of Beginner Piano Pieces ;0

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Yeah, this is so perfect for many on this forum. This one will be fun and uber encouraging.

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Come on everybody! You all have played beginners' pieces. If you have never participated in a recital, this is your golden chance! smile

Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I'm currently on a short trip in my camper, but have a list of things I want to record when I get back. Should be fun!

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Ahhh, lots of pieces already! So nice! 29 submissions so far, but some people have several pieces in one file. I can't wait to listen to them all!

Gold Supporter until June  2023

Gold Supporter until June  2023
Wow! I just looked at the submitted pieces and I wouldn't call many of them "beginner," but then again it's all relative/subjective and I don't want to start that pointless discussion here. Let me end by saying: I'm also looking forward to listening to them and I'm sure I'll leave the recital with lots of new pieces that I'll want to learn (as if there weren't too many already). I may even submit one myself if I manage to record it this weekend.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and Kawai MP11SE
My piano journey (playing since July 2019)
10 weeks into Duane Shinn's 52-Week Crash Course
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Hehe, Mozart annotated his own Sonata K. 545 as für anfänger (for beginners), but it is ABRSM Grade 6. He's such a kidder!

BTW, who is Monica K?

A rising tide lifts all the boats
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
The preludes from the WF Bach book, and the inventions and sinfonias, were written down for Bach’s son (WF), when he was 9 years old. Beginners were in a different class back then. Even the children’s pieces from the 1950s by William Gillock are tough. We have it pretty easy now, with so many composers writing graded piano music.

Monica K was the original recital admin, who passed away a few years ago - that was when I took over.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Pieces with a lot of chords & big jumps probably don't qualify. In the beginning there was "Chopsticks", "Mary Had a Little Lamb" & "Lightly Row". Today there are all sorts of books including Classical, Jazz & Blues arranged for easy piano. Found a piece out of a repertoire book recently somebody suggested. Will work on it and submit it shortly.

Not sure if Bach Inventions fit the category of "beginner" since Bach wrote the pieces for his advanced students. Nonetheless they're short pieces less than 1 1/2 minute. I've found a few pieces performed by students by Kabalevsky that are less than 1m long. And somebody reworked a piece that has big LH jumps for easy piano. Otherwise many of us would be submitting versions of "Minuet in G" out of the Notebook for Anna M.

A lot to choose from. Good luck everybody...

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Pieces with a lot of chords & big jumps probably don't qualify. [...] Otherwise many of us would be submitting versions of "Minuet in G" out of the Notebook for Anna M.

Actually, my submitted piece To fly like an eagle has quite some jumps! Still, it is much easier than Minuet in G.

Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Pieces with a lot of chords & big jumps probably don't qualify. [...] Otherwise many of us would be submitting versions of "Minuet in G" out of the Notebook for Anna M.

Actually, my submitted piece To fly like an eagle has quite some jumps! Still, it is much easier than Minuet in G.

That reminds me - I played a piece with big chords and jumps when I was a beginner - I'll see if I still have it. It was lots of fun and made me feel like a real pianist.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Ahhh, lots of pieces already! So nice! 29 submissions so far, but some people have several pieces in one file. I can't wait to listen to them all!

The count is up to 38 or 39 now. I added 6 this morning. Two of them are from RCM Prep A book.

Your piece is in my RCM Prep B book. I played it through once for sight reading practice and the switching between treble and bass clefs was challenging. Minuet in G seemed easier to me. I still like 'To Fly Like an Eagle' and have it flagged for future '40 pieces' practice.

Yamaha DGX500
Yamaha CLP-635

My other hobby - gardening for an audience. https://naturescaping.org/the-gardens/entrance-garden/
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I managed to do 4 today - from Robert Vandall's Celebrated Jazzy Solos. Fun!

My wife (Tootles) is taking lessons now, so I am reading through some of her books. Looks like I either gave away all my old beginner stuff, or Tootles has them in her stash...

Sam

Last edited by Sam S; 10/03/21 06:50 PM.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
K
K
I intend to post but it will be last minute. My piano has developed a clicking G key plus a noisy pedal so I need to wait until we are out of lockdown so that I can play on my teacher's piano. smile Mine will TRULY be a beginner piece as I've had less than 2 years lessons. smile

Started lessons January 2020.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Sam S
I managed to do 4 today - from Robert Vandall's Celebrated Jazzy Solos. Fun!

I just looked at your pieces and by coincidence I had played (poorly) Buckeye Rag for sight reading practice earlier today. It will be good to hear it played well (how's that for pressure). I'm also curious to hear your other three pieces from the book.

Yamaha DGX500
Yamaha CLP-635

My other hobby - gardening for an audience. https://naturescaping.org/the-gardens/entrance-garden/
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission