2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
robinlb Offline OP
OP Offline
R
found the news from my friend.
This means that Kawai also has Grand version of Aures as Yamaha CXX TA2.
And maybe new transducer system for soundboard.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Holy moly!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here in Denmark it looks like they have a GL-30 model with Aures:

Kawai GL-30 AURES ATX4

But you could probably get a fully restored Bösendorfer 170 for the same price ... (although not with a silent system, and definitely not with transducers).

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm wondering how much these silencing systems with a mute rail affect the feel since I believe the escapement distance is increased to allow for the mute rail to be inserted and stop the hammers before they hit the strings, yet have a working escapement.

Last edited by CyberGene; 10/01/21 08:53 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
R
robinlb Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
Here in Denmark it looks like they have a GL-30 model with Aures:

Kawai GL-30 AURES ATX4

Obviously, GX2 is Better than GL30, and latest 4 transducers Aures2 than old Aures.
I think we will have an alternative choice to Yamaha C2/3X TA2.

VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
R
robinlb Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I'm wondering how much these silencing systems with a mute real affect the feel since I believe the escapement distance is increased to allow for the mute rail to be inserted and stop the hammers before they hit the strings, yet have a working escapement.

Seems like Kawai uses a new silence system for GX2 AR2, named GP Touch Muting System--last pic.
It's different than old one in upright Aures1, maybe they improve the touching feel.

D
D
I think we will have an alternative choice to Yamaha C2/3X TA2.

…though there’s a suggestion judging from
The Yamaha JP site that the TA2 is discontinued.

M
M
Other Aures 2 models being released as well. Here’s a video of the K500 Aures 2:

Kawai K-500 Aures 2 Piano Demo

Now keeping my fingers crossed mine will be arriving soon at last!

M
M
As with the grands, the touchscreen as been removed from the uprights.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I'm wondering how much these silencing systems with a mute rail affect the feel since I believe the escapement distance is increased to allow for the mute rail to be inserted and stop the hammers before they hit the strings, yet have a working escapement.

It depends whom you ask. There is a lot of controversy surrounding this topic. I looked into this since I wanted (and now have) a silent upright. The let-off distance is larger in my silent K300 than in a normal one. But I didn't notice differences in touch when played side by side in a store. However I am only an intermediate player.

Apparently you can set let-off smaller in a silent K300. It may be that factory regulation is on the safe side such that the likelihood of a hammer is ever touch a string (even after use-dependent changes in action) is low. People want the piano to be silent after all. I looked at my action and the mute rail and I think it can be set closer to the strings without causing problems, after which let-off distance can be decreased. There is a video on Youtube of a technician doing this on a K300 ATX3 and it seems to work well. In that video the let-off distance seems to be set at the normal 2-3 mm.

So investing in regulation work can minimize let-off differences. But this may take hours and time is money which is probably why on an 8K piano this is not done in the factory/by the dealer. And perhaps you run the risk that you'd have to adjust things later again so as to keep things optimal.

I think I am going to do this at some point, just for the feeling of having things optimized and perhaps it will improve the touch somewhat.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Just as with a moderator felt, the distance is increased, which affects pianissimo play.

(Ironically to make the piano quieter it becomes louder.)

Yamaha P-515
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoeT

Just as with a moderator felt, the distance is increased, which affects pianissimo play.

(Ironically to make the piano quieter it becomes louder.)

Indeed. The escapement in acoustic pianos is usually 1mm (increased for the bass hammers to allow the larger string vibration amplitudes to not touch the hammer) and the reason for such a short escapement distance is to be able to play pianissimo, because these low velocities should be able to reach the string without the natural deceleration of the hammer after escapement affecting the terminal velocity. The larger that distance, the higher the chance of pianissimos hitting the string with lower than expected velocity in a non-linear fashion. I guess that may not be a very pronounced effect anyway and only more experienced pianists would be able to notice it but still.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
D
D
Originally Posted by Monoch
Other Aures 2 models being released as well. Here’s a video of the K500 Aures 2:

Kawai K-500 Aures 2 Piano Demo

For me that video, like almost all Transacoustic/Aures demo videos fails to really demonstrate what makes these pianos awesome. I've posted this video before, but just in case others haven't seen it and are wondering why one might spend so much more on a TA/Aures than a standard piano please take a look.

M
M
Not many, but there are some other videos that also demonstrate this, for example Stu Harrison's review of the K-300 Aures.

I posted the link to this video primarily for the differences between Aures (1) and Aures 2, not so much for the Aures / TA system in general. As far as I know, it's the only one that discusses the Aures 2 system on an upright so far. I'm particularly interested in the Aures 2 system since I've one on the way.

Last edited by Monoch; 10/02/21 09:09 AM. Reason: added last sentence
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

According to KawaiDon the new action oh the Kawai Grand silent pianos it supposed to match Yamahas silent system that has the quick release action that doesn’t effect touch at all. But so far there is not much information about it

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3159609/re-new-kawai-gl10-atx4.html#Post3159609

I know for a fact that Yamahas grand silent pianos feels amazing and i could not tell a difference. But my Kawai K-200 ATX3 (I’m renting it so will upgrade) is not as good.

Also amazing that Kawai decided to remove the touchscreen on the uprights… i looks like they listened to the feedback. smile

I’m on the market for a Grand piano with silent feature and was set on a Yamaha C1X HS2 but now the Kawai’s might be an option to.

R
robinlb Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Monoch
Not many, but there are some other videos that also demonstrate this, for example Stu Harrison's review of the K-300 Aures.

I posted the link to this video primarily for the differences between Aures (1) and Aures 2, not so much for the Aures / TA system in general. As far as I know, it's the only one that discusses the Aures 2 system on an upright so far. I'm particularly interested in the Aures 2 system since I've one on the way.

Thx for ur video link, and congratulations to AR2 ordering. K300 or K500?
I believe AR2 will be improved by new transducers instead of old onkyo high/low vibtone unit.
Wait ur experience.
If keyboard is OK with latest silence system, I believe there will be a SK AR2 grand version in addition to the GL/GX series.

Q
Q
Originally Posted by Boboulus
I know for a fact that Yamahas grand silent pianos feels amazing and i could not tell a difference. But my Kawai K-200 ATX3 (I’m renting it so will upgrade) is not as good.

I tried some pianos recently and felt the same way about the ATX3 I tried. Haven't gotten a chance to try a Yamaha equivalent.

I really wanted to give the Novus 5 or 10 a try but those things are unavailable everywhere.

So I will wait another year, or two, or three.

R
robinlb Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I guess maybe Yamaha use different muting system for their silent or TA upright and grand piano, as Kawai do on K-series and GX2 Aures2. Cuz my friend tried U1TA2 but feel not good enough for its keyboard, although she didn't compare with CXXTA2 grand.
And I think TA2 or Aures2 A/DP is a different type of product compared to hybrid DP likes NV.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by robinlb
I guess maybe Yamaha use different muting system for their silent or TA upright and grand piano, as Kawai do on K-series and GX2 Aures2. Cuz my friend tried U1TA2 but feel not good enough for its keyboard, although she didn't compare with CXXTA2 grand.
And I think TA2 or Aures2 A/DP is a different type of product compared to hybrid DP likes NV.

Correct. It’s actually an addition to the grand action called quick release that makes it possible to regulate the same distance to string as regular grams piano. The Yamaha upright has same limitations as Kawai upright silent system as all other has. Previous version of Kawai grand silent system also had this limitation (and was also extremely loud… sounded like wooden hammers actually hit wood) but the new one is supposed to be as good as Yamaha. But not much info about it.

M
M
There was an announcement news item on the Kawai global website for the Aures 2 models a few days ago, but they have removed it from the site again shortly after. Not sure why they removed it again, but it looks like more info from Kawai is imminent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission