2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, Boboulus, Bruce In Philly, Animisha, Bostonmoores, brdwyguy, 14 invisible), 661 guests, and 415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
vagfilm Offline OP
OP Offline
V
A quick post to inform that I have run some tests with the sleep function in the main loop set at of 20 microseconds, and not only it reduces drastically CPU use (less than 1%) but it improves MIDI accuracy !!! I use a perfectly quantized mock midi test file of 480bpm to stress test the program: without the sleep() and at full CPU usage, a replay of 256 notes per second does not drop any notes, but simultaneous notes drift significantly; when I set a very short sleep(), the drift is dratically reduced. I tested a few timings for the sleep() and found that 20 microseconds is a good compromise for not stressing the CPU while good MIDI accuracy is maintained. I will release an updated version 1.02 tomorrow.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Great news, thanks!. Since I was aware of the CPU usage while beta testing, I was somewhat obsessed with it. Now the new version will help using the software without monitoring CPU in background smile

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Nice work, @vagfilm!

Cheers and happy optimizations,

HZ

H
hes Offline
H
Originally Posted by vagfilm
Originally Posted by Rhodes74
Yes, i can record midi "as advertised" but only in stealth mode with no active player.
Tried to use it with Plogue Sforzando player the app is killed with the start button.
Checked with Pianoteq, same result. Starting order and used keyboard do not matter.

That is unexpected (the program was heavily tested using Pianoteq demo) . . .

Interesting that you tested using the Pianoteq app. I don't think it's been mentioned yet in this thread, but I'm not sure people using Pianoteq have any need for this add-on utility. The Pianoteq app already has this "save everything that's played" midi recording functionality built-in. I think many people use Pianoteq and aren't aware of this, but your playing is by default recorded behind the scenes to midi files by Pianoteq itself. Those files can be found using "File, Recently Played on the Keyboard" menu choice, and then selected to play using Pianoteq's built-in midi player. (There are user settings, I believe, to control how long Pianoteq retains these files and where they are stored, perhaps more.)

I think this is all it says about this in the Pianoteq manual:
======================
"2.9.3. Brilliant performance lost?

At any time, you can retrieve your recent performances via File ► Recently played on the keyboard. Particularly useful when after a brilliant performance you think “too bad I didn’t record this”! Well, Pianoteq did it for you: just load the latest Recently played on the keyboard and save/export it to a regular MIDI/AUDIO file. It’s as simple as that!

For less recent performances, a MIDI Archiver is available, access to its settings at the bottom of the Recently played on the keyboard menu."
======================

Last edited by hes; 10/02/21 05:00 AM.
V
vagfilm Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi... I used pianoteq during testing because:
1. I tested with ALL VSTs I have at hand. For pianoteq I have the demo...
2. The only purpose of that testing was to check if starting the recording with AutoSaveMIDI would affect VST playability. Remember... My app can be used without a VST while playing with the internal sounds: you connect to a computer, play with the built-in sound and record externally. No possibility of decreased performance in that case.
3. As you mentioned, pianoteq also has automatic recording; thus I could compare the output of both midi files;
4. Pianoteq has a useful midi monitor to check for incoming midi messages.

All in all, I love pianoteq, although not particularly convinced by its tone. If I had bought pianoteq, I might never gone through the effort of creating my own recording app... So, all is well.

Last edited by vagfilm; 10/02/21 05:19 AM.
V
vagfilm Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by hes
I don't think it's been mentioned yet in this thread, but I'm not sure people using Pianoteq have any need for this add-on utility. The Pianoteq app already has this "save everything that's played" midi recording functionality built-in.

Thanks for the comment. In fact, in my first post I said that this feature of Pianoteq was my inspiration.

I think that once you try it, you will appreciate a few aspects of my app that do not exist in Pianoteq: automatic splitting defined by the user, definition of minimal length, possibikity of adding id suffixes to the files, audio padding, and soon to be implemmented way to score a recording immediately after play for easier sorting btween takes.

V
vagfilm Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi all:

VERSION 1.02 WITH LOW CPU USAGE IS UP AND RUNNING !!!

The link for the webpage remains the same:

https://sites.google.com/view/autosavemidi/

and you can always access the webpage of the project by clicking on the blue letters of the version in the GUI (where it pompously says "Cajal Software" which is obviously a ghost software company...).

No need to uninstall the previous version. It should overwrite the exe file, while maintaining the settings registry and the recordings folder.

Let me know if performance improved.

BTW, I also changed the browsing of the recordings folder... When you click on the button for changing the folder, it will (hopefully) take you to the current folder instead of the root folder of the program...

Last edited by vagfilm; 10/02/21 10:02 AM.
V
vagfilm Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Sorry... Forgot to update the link on the webpage. It should be correct now.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Working perfectly and with LOTS less resources! smile wow

I have checked just before the previous version (v 1.01), once Windows had stabilyzed. From 2-4% CPU use it went to 16-18%

Now, v 1.02 just adds 1% or so, as you commented. GREAT!!! thumb

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
V
vagfilm Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Kudos to acdp that convinced me to try the sleep() on the main loop. In my naivete I thought it would disrupt the midi timings and that the problem lied elsewhere... Worked like a charm...

N
N
It's kinda sad this doesn't exist for Linux, because Windows Machines require much more power.

V
vagfilm Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Well... In fact it does exist to Linux but it has not been tested and for that reason it is not yet publically available for download (it was written in Python, so it is easily compilable to linux, Macs and Win). If interested, send me a PM, and you will be officially named "beta-tester" of the linux version...

V
vagfilm Offline OP
OP Offline
V
BTW, the same thing applies to macOS. If you are interested in testing the mac version before public release, PM me and will send you the apple version for you to try. I am a windows-only person, and need third person help for beta-testing stability and functionality. Thanks.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I love this version, stable and works like a charm. Successfully updated. smile Thank you for giving us such a simple tool to record the midi data!!!

V
vagfilm Offline OP
OP Offline
V
David... Thanks for the kind words... I still want to add the possibility of rating the playing immediately after playing (through key combinations) so that each take can be marked as "good" or "bad" for future review (or deletion).

I have another tool for complete custom velocity curves... It is still in alpha stage because I have to think about how to make it more user friendly, but you can set mapping to any MIDI parameter: note-on velocity, note-off velocity, half pedalling ranges, dynamic range (ie, changes in volume coupled with the velocity: low velocities can have a small decrease in volume, and high velocities can have an increase in volume, not changing the timbre), and mappings per key. Most VSTs now have these mappings, but this is a universal tool. I will send you when it is polished.

Last edited by vagfilm; 11/15/21 06:41 PM.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by vagfilm
David... Thanks for the kind words... I still want to add the possibility of rating the playing immediately after playing (through key combinations) so that each take can be marked as "good" or "bad" for future review (or deletion).

I have another tool for complete custom velocity curves... It is still in alpha stage because I have to think about how to make it more user friendly, but you can set mapping to any MIDI parameter: note-on velocity, note-off velocity, half pedalling ranges, dynamic range (ie, changes in volume coupled with the velocity: low velocities can have a small decrease in volume, and high velocities can have an increase in volume, not changing the timbre), and mappings per key. Most VSTs now have these mappings, but this is a universal tool. I will send you when it is polished.

That's wonderful!!! Wow, you have great ideas in expanding your programing skills. I admire you!!!

Thank you for including me in your testers team. smile

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1908 Knabe?
by beginagain - 12/09/21 12:54 AM
Piano lid material?
by Davdoc - 12/09/21 12:49 AM
Thoughts on Technics PR903
by McBuster - 12/09/21 12:46 AM
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Birdcage Piano Tuner needed in Virginia
by zander35 - 12/08/21 04:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,465
Posts3,151,718
Members103,560
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission