2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
VladK Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ivory II - Studio Grands bundle (Steinway B NY recorded at Power Station, New England, and Bösendorfer 225 from Firehouse Recording Studios) is $100 Off through October, 2021.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I also got this offer by email... Would prefer some new contenders in piano VST arena, though. I think the VST producers keep stretching their vintage products quite a lot and there is little novelty. All in all, those are nice pianos

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
M
M

M
M

Last edited by mandan; 10/02/21 03:55 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
I also got this offer by email... Would prefer some new contenders in piano VST arena, though. I think the VST producers keep stretching their vintage products quite a lot and there is little novelty. All in all, those are nice pianos

It still costs $199 + VAT after "$100 off" for a 112 GB download.

I have a great Yamaha CFX and a Bösendorfer, I don't have any use for this stuff.

Yamaha P-515
M
M
On the website of synthogy it costs really 199 USD+VAT
https://register.synthogy.com/resonate/shop2/index.jsp

But on the website of Ilio or any other website you can buy it without VAT for 199 USD.
https://www.ilio.com/ivory-2-studio-grands

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It seems to me that there are not many here who own the Studio Grands. I do, however, and they are what I play something like 90% of the time. Some days I may play Pianoteq, and very rarely Garritan CFX Lite. The Studio Grands sound "real" to me, and therefore I prefer them. Garritan sounds "nicer", but not as real. Pianoteq is a welcome change of pace, but I don't want to listen to its sounds for more than one day in a row.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
R
R
I don't know. I was so so so disappointed by American D, I don't know if I trust anybody on the Studio Grands.

Good reviews, but I I just don't know.

Ron

Ron
Kawai CA79

VSL (BÖSENDORFER 280VC, CFX, Steinway D-274), Modern U, Ravenscroft275, Noire, Lounge Lizard EP-4

(Not Used much) Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Bechstein Digital, , Auddict_Dorian_Marko, The Grandeur,, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
I bought these this week. Unlike many people here, I have always liked the Ivory German D and American D. But then I'm old and have a tin ear.

First reaction to the studio grands was a bit of disappointment. I play 99.999% of the time with headphones and the Steinway B sounded as if I had cotton in my ears.
While there are a number of parameters, with the Synthogy stuff you get the one set of mics that they've used. (Although there is a perspective switch between player and audience).

In doing some online reading I found a few other complaints about the rather distant, muffled sound. But one was interesting - the poster said that going DOWN in sample levels opened up the sound.

It does seem so to me.

I've uploaded several renderings using a MIDI file I recorded 15 years ago with a different keyboard from the one I now have. So I switched the MIDI velocity map to the straight linear one and loaded the default "Model B Grand Piano" preset. Perspective set to Player.

No other changes except for the keyset. I rendered the same file with the "24 Level", "24 Level 2", "16 Level", "16 Level 2". (According to the Ivory manual, "'2' Keysets have an alternative set of velocity switch points that favor the softer dynamics.")

I've uploaded the 4 recordings. Perhaps that will help in the evaluation. If so, I could run the same file through the Boesendorfer.
https://soundcloud.com/user-2030456...tudio-grands-steinway-b-different-levels

[Linked Image]

Cheers,

Jane - expert on nothing with opinions on everything
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JaneF
First reaction to the studio grands was a bit of disappointment. I play 99.999% of the time with headphones and the Steinway B sounded as if I had cotton in my ears.

Be sure to mess about with the velocity curve. I have had to use the "Power" curve, in order to get correct sounding instruments out of both of them. With the B this is particularly important at pp, or even p, because the Steinway B is naturally a bit muffled at these levels (as far as I have been able to discern).

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
VladK Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I like Studio Grands.
Bose 225 high trebles are weak though, but this might be caused by original piano, not by sampling.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I should confess that I had them already... And didn't remember! blush ha

I got them in a similar offer in October 2020. But I didn't like them back then and so forgot completely...

So I will give them a try again. Now I am curious grin !

It is true that on some VSTs I used seldomly, after some time playing others and learning some tricks, as better balancing mics, using less mics (if available), removing reverb, modifying velocity curve and other settings, I have appreciated them better on a second try.

Yes, I have too many VSTs eek

Jose

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by EB5AGV
So I will give them a try again. Now I am curious grin !

Yes, I have too many VSTs eek

Jose

Yay! Two "new" pianos and they cost you nothing! 😁

Cheers and happy hoarding,

HZ

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by JaneF
I bought these this week. Unlike many people here, I have always liked the Ivory German D and American D. But then I'm old and have a tin ear.

While there are a number of parameters, with the Synthogy stuff you get the one set of mics that they've used. (Although there is a perspective switch between player and audience).

In doing some online reading I found a few other complaints about the rather distant, muffled sound. But one was interesting - the poster said that going DOWN in sample levels opened up the sound.

It does seem so to me.

I've uploaded several renderings using a MIDI file I recorded 15 years ago with a different keyboard from the one I now have. So I switched the MIDI velocity map to the straight linear one and loaded the default "Model B Grand Piano" preset. Perspective set to Player.

No other changes except for the keyset. I rendered the same file with the "24 Level", "24 Level 2", "16 Level", "16 Level 2". (According to the Ivory manual, "'2' Keysets have an alternative set of velocity switch points that favor the softer dynamics.")

I've uploaded the 4 recordings. Perhaps that will help in the evaluation. If so, I could run the same file through the Boesendorfer.
https://soundcloud.com/user-2030456...tudio-grands-steinway-b-different-levels

[Linked Image]

Cheers,
That's wonderful. I like the tones of the Steinway, but the bass is a bit shallow to my taste. I don't know why, but whenever I play a sampled piano, I wish to get a concert grand, as I can always get the sound of a smaller piano in a room if I want it so. In fact, there's a new Steinway B in the teaching assistant studio I share with 2 other colleagues and it sounds great, so long as it's in tune.

Thanks for convincing me not to take up on this offer, this is better when I hear others play. smile

David

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission