2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
You can add midi, mute rail, and sound engine to an existing piano:

https://www.pianofarm.com/store/p73/Silent__Piano_Kit_to_convert_an_upright_piano_into_a_digital_%28CALL_IN_ORDERS_ONLY_IT_IS_IN_STOCK%29.html

https://www.total-piano-care.com/QRS-PNOscan-Studio.html

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
My upright from 1914 has a mute rail on the middle pedal. It does not lock in place-- I have to hold the pedal down. I find it wotks well for repetitive practice of a short phrase so as not to make listeners crazy when I play the same phrase 25-50 times in succession. It does not work well for playing an entire piece as it defeats the sound feedback used to adjust touch. With a digital sound engine and headphones you get the feedback from that. It will not be identical so it will be as different as switching between a digital piano and acoustic piano

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I keep my upright partly covered in winter with a heavy textured quilt.It seems to maintain the humidity and stability of the tuning.On a few occasions I have played it still covered just because it was convenient.I was amazed at how much softer the piano was. We live in a house so I do not really need to play softly.Still if you try this using a quilt or a blanket, make sure the whole soundboard is covered.

The main point is that it is much easier to make the sound softer on an upright than a grand.(unless you constantly make use of the uni corda pedal?)There are quite a few different and affective methods.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you have to make the piano too soft to not annoy your neighbors, I can't imagine it will be enjoyable or instructive to play it. If that's the case playing a good digital with headphones will be far more rewarding. Another solution is to make the piano only somewhat softer and work things out with your neighbor as far as practice times and number of hours/day. That's what I did.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission