2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (anotherscott, An Old Square, accordeur, bubbaXzone, BWV846, 22 invisible), 632 guests, and 540 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JohnAJ Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hey guys I just received my brand new MP11SE, unfortunately I opened it to discover shipping damage (thanks UPS). I had such high hopes for this thing and I have no idea what the process will be like to replace this or how long it will take since it is sold out everywhere.

My new MP11SE:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
D
That’s awful. Have you called the company you bought it from? And UPS? I would start there….very sad unfortunate event!

J
JohnAJ Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I just reached out to the place I bought it from, I've been out of town since last friday so I just barely got to unpacking it tonight.

Does anyone else here have an MP11SE? Did yours arrive with a EU AC power cable? I expected to see a standard US 120v power cable but instead I have a 250v/16A EMA/EUR cord.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello John,

Sorry to see that damage to your new MP11SE. I believe the keyslip (the dented part) can be removed/replaced, however it might be preferable to simply request a full replacement instrument from the retailer.

Originally Posted by JohnAJ
Does anyone else here have an MP11SE? Did yours arrive with a EU AC power cable? I expected to see a standard US 120v power cable but instead I have a 250v/16A EMA/EUR cord.

Hmmm...may I ask if you can send me a PM with the product serial number, please?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A 250V power cable should compatible with 120V if the socket is adapted. The key point is the transformer included in the MP11SE.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 10/06/21 01:07 AM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
B
B
I think in this case the main concern isn't whether a 250V Eu cable is compatible with US sockets or not...
wink

D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
That's a bummer.

I had a similar situation when I received my MP11SE. You can read about it here.

My dealer (and Kawai USA) was amazing in getting it resolved immediately. Kawai USA has awesome customer service. I think they are the gold standard in the industry.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
P
P
"...unfortunately I opened it to discover..."

Are you saying it arrived with no visible damage whatsoever to the external packaging box - but you only discovered this dent after you took piano out from inside the box?
Did you take a photo of the cardboard box before you opened it, while it was still sealed up with UPS tape, etc.? Wouldn't it also show some corresponding external damage near that area if caused by UPS shipping?

Because if the cardboard box all looked fine externally when you accepted the delivery, and you only found this dent after you opened it, then maybe the instrument was already damaged as it came from the factory at Kawai, or maybe it's already been opened before by another customer or dealer who has previously rough-handled it, and it's actually a B-stock / return / shop demo / used item or something which the dealer is trying to pass off to you as new?

Having seen numerous posts of similar damage to Kawai MP11 and VPC1 style instruments, which are very heavy, fragile items, difficult to ship - I can't help thinking Kawai's standard of box and packaging foam is insufficient for the job. Kawai needs to bulk up their carboard box dimensions across this keyslip edge with several inches wider margin of cardboard crumple zone and deeper thicker foam all along there.
This keeps happening, Kawai. A bigger, stronger box might be good idea.

J
JohnAJ Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you Kawai James for confirming that I received a US spec MP11SE, why a European power cable was included is still is unknown but probably a mix up.

As far as the box is concerned it does have some signs of external damage, I wasn’t able to inspect it to refuse delivery because the UPS driver left it between the vehicles in my driveway.

I didn’t open it until last night because I’ve been out of town and it is a two person job anyways.

The packing foam is relatively intact except for the area where the keyslip was damaged, that section of foam is in a few pieces.

I reached out to the retailer I purchased this through last night via email, hopefully I am able to talk with them today to get this process started.

Thanks again James!

J
JohnAJ Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Oof the shop offered me $275 to keep it or to return it for a refund because they don’t have any more units in stock.

I’m guessing $275 is their shipping cost, looks like I’ll be doing a return and looking out for another MP11SE.

B
B
You're guessing that 275 is their shipping cost, my guess is that they are joking...

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I would say that a full 50 - 60% of shipments we receive here at home have at least some damage to the shipping carton; sometimes it is a lot. Surprisingly, most of the merchandise is ok.

Sweetwater has taken to boxing the box--- putting the original shipping carton inside a second one, padded out with bubble wrap. So far, very good results. They want it shipped back to them the same way, in the same boxes, if that's necessary.

"...I’m guessing $275 is their shipping cost, looks like I’ll be doing a return and looking out for another MP11SE...."

Could be, John AJ; possibly for the best. Give it a beat. Kawai James is a good one to have in your corner. And, as you have already heard, Kawai's customer service is very well known. But I am a little curious about this shop. Would you not be returning the damaged unit to them (locally, I'm assuming), or did you buy it from a different vendor? "No more units in stock" seems feeble as an excuse, to my ears. They can certainly order a new one.

It would seem likely that you have already looked at the https://kawaius.com/pianos/digital-pianos/mp-series/ website, but here is the link just in case. As I remembered, they had two major messages on their front page: Find a Dealer, and Contact Kawai.

Best of luck! It would be nice to hear back, about your experience.

Clef

Clef

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I would say that a full 50 - 60% of shipments we receive here at home have at least some damage to the shipping carton; sometimes it is a lot. Surprisingly, most of the merchandise is ok.

Sweetwater has taken to boxing the box--- putting the original shipping carton inside a second one, padded out with bubble wrap. So far, very good results. They want it shipped back to them the same way, in the same boxes, if that's necessary.

"...I’m guessing $275 is their shipping cost, looks like I’ll be doing a return and looking out for another MP11SE...."

Could be, John AJ; possibly for the best. Give it a beat. Kawai James is a good one to have in your corner. And, as you have already heard, Kawai's customer service is very well known. But I am a little curious about this shop. Would you not be returning the damaged unit to them (locally, I'm assuming), or did you buy it from a different vendor? "No more units in stock" seems feeble as an excuse, to my ears. They can certainly order a new one.

It would seem likely that you have already looked at the https://kawaius.com/pianos/digital-pianos/mp-series/ website, but here is the link just in case. As I remembered, they had two major messages on their front page: Find a Dealer, and Contact Kawai.

Best of luck! It would be nice to hear back, about your experience.

Clef

Clef

J
JohnAJ Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Without naming the shop, they weren’t local to me. Perhaps that was my first mistake as I found two local Kawai dealers near me.

The Kawai packaging itself looks pretty well designed but regardless of how well it is packaged someone will find a way to exceed its limits.

I do like the method you mentioned that Sweetwater uses. I will keep that in mind if my local options don’t pan out.

Regarding Kawai USA, they have been very responsive. I am currently going through the dealer and will probably be packing up the DP over the weekend.

Kawai James has been nothing short of excellent and extremely helpful, I can’t say enough good things about him and if that is indicative of the rest of Kawai’s support I look forward to owning more Kawai products in the future after this is resolved.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That damage hurts the eyes, ouch!!!

I know first hand that the VPC1, which has a similar construction, is really difficult to move around. My current VPC1 location has some very narrow passage access to get to it (my fault to have so many things!) and I had a very bad time to get it into place. Luckily, it is there to stay.

I hope you find a solution and you can enjoy a new keyboard soon!

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
N
N
Hey guys I just received my brand new MP11SE, unfortunately I opened it to discover shipping damage (thanks UPS). I had such high hopes for this thing and I have no idea what the process will be like to replace this or how long it will take since it is sold out everywhere.

My new MP11SE:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The photos are showing up. Can you reupload them?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Curious question. Would a plastic frame flex and handle same kind of hit?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Mojo 61 | GK MK & MP amps
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Oof the shop offered me $275 to keep it or to return it for a refund because they don’t have any more units in stock.

I’m guessing $275 is their shipping cost, looks like I’ll be doing a return and looking out for another MP11SE.

You could try to negotiate if there is a price at which you would choose to keep it.

O
O
When I bought my MP10 from a piano shop in Norwich UK, they insisted on them opening the box and doing a thorough check before I picked it up.

First one failed their check, had to wait a few extra days for them to get a replacement.

Had it not been for this forum, at that point I would have lost faith in Kawai and bought an alternative product.

The shops comments (before receiving the one that failed) while a few years ago, were along the lines of “it’s a superb stage piano but we’ve experienced problems in the past with shipping damage, hence we insist on checking it all out, and while we are at it, making sure latest software is installed”

The impression they gave was that it wasn’t a rare thing

[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Ojustaboo
When I bought my MP10 from a piano shop in Norwich UK, they insisted on them opening the box and doing a thorough check before I picked it up.

First one failed their check, had to wait a few extra days for them to get a replacement.

Had it not been for this forum, at that point I would have lost faith in Kawai and bought an alternative product.

The shops comments (before receiving the one that failed) while a few years ago, were along the lines of “it’s a superb stage piano but we’ve experienced problems in the past with shipping damage, hence we insist on checking it all out, and while we are at it, making sure latest software is installed”

The impression they gave was that it wasn’t a rare thing

Ha! I wonder if it was because of my MP10s - bought from the same shop as yours. I think I had three, all with different problems until I got a fully okay one. Never any outward sign of shipping damage but I suppose they can take a knock without the packaging suffering too much. I remember one had non-functioning headphone output (they'd checked that one carefully in every sense except the headphone out so I got that home and discovered the issue). The first one had every A (I think it was the As) non functioning. Another had some other problem they'd spotted before I even collected it. Funny thing is, if the shop deals with it well you don't tend to hold it against the product too much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 04:38 PM
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 03:44 PM
My tech knows I am OCD
by RobAC - 12/02/21 02:09 PM
A little OT - a Thanksgiving Day piano float
by Rich Galassini - 12/02/21 01:50 PM
Preventing noise transmission
by happyhacker - 12/02/21 01:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,354
Posts3,150,268
Members103,492
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission