2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
76 members (ambrozy, 36251, ando, anotherscott, brdwyguy, Alex C, An Old Square, 8ude, 17 invisible), 747 guests, and 488 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3162934 10/09/21 04:48 PM
EB5AGV Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
I am spending the weekend at a hotel which has an old upright piano in one large hall. I have asked this morning if I could play it and have been given the OK. So I have played for 10 minutes this morning and about an hour tonight...

Well, now I understand when people talks about light action!. I had never found a lighter acoustic one. It is so light that is very hard to control. Then the pedal... Oh my!. It is also extremely soft and I would say the dampers don't fully do their work. It is still useable, but by an small margin. Then the key to key response varies and the action feels imprecise, but is worse on some notes. And the tuning... Let's say it has not been tuned in years. Luckily it still maintains some relative tuning but for sure is somewhat low. The tone of the piano is not too lovely, but for the mostly pop repertoire (it was hard to manage any delicate playing on that piano) it has worked fine.

All in all, now I appreciate my Yamaha U3H quite a lot more, what a wonderful precision machine it is. What a nice and even action. What a precious tone it has.

It has been a lovely experience nonetheless. Playing in public is like a balsam to me. And my poor playing has even raised some applause!

Enjoy and appreciate what you have!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
I am spending the weekend at a hotel which has an old upright piano in one large hall. I have asked this morning if I could play it and have been given the OK. So I have played for 10 minutes this morning and about an hour tonight...

Well, now I understand when people talks about light action!. I had never found a lighter acoustic one. It is so light that is very hard to control. Then the pedal... Oh my!. It is also extremely soft and I would say the dampers don't fully do their work. It is still useable, but by an small margin. Then the key to key response varies and the action feels imprecise, but is worse on some notes. And the tuning... Let's say it has not been tuned in years. Luckily it still maintains some relative tuning but for sure is somewhat low. The tone of the piano is not too lovely, but for the mostly pop repertoire (it was hard to manage any delicate playing on that piano) it has worked fine.

All in all, now I appreciate my Yamaha U3H quite a lot more, what a wonderful precision machine it is. What a nice and even action. What a precious tone it has.

It has been a lovely experience nonetheless. Playing in public is like a balsam to me. And my poor playing has even raised some applause!

Enjoy and appreciate what you have!

Jose

Here's a thought:

You've had a lovely experience and were applauded for your playing, all on an instrument you were critical about - maybe you can 'appreciate what you had', in that moment, yourself. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I playing the Yamaha P-125 at home mainly. The other practice piano is the Yamaha Clavinova in the conservatory when having weekly lessons.

A lot of places are no longer in lockdown but touching a public piano depends. Definitely carry hand sanitizer to wipe the keys before touching a piano / keyboard for your protection. The last time I played something on a Baldwin piano in a store I wasn't too concerned catching the virus. I'm sure the salespeople disinfect the keys regularly.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I had never found a lighter acoustic one. It is so light that is very hard to control.

I have had the opposite experience. On a holiday, I brought a touch sensitive controller, also extremely light. I thought I could learn to play the correct notes at the correct time, but nothing more. But when I got more used to the controller, I started to get some control over the dynamics. And the fact that it was so very light forced me to be very precise. When we left, it sounded surprisingly nice. cool

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
EB5AGV Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fatar760
Here's a thought:

You've had a lovely experience and were applauded for your playing, all on an instrument you were critical about - maybe you can 'appreciate what you had', in that moment, yourself. smile

Yes, I said my experience was lovely. And I even took pictures of that piano to be fondly remembered. I always tend to empathize with old, abandoned or just neglected instruments, as I find them as lonely souls who deserve more care and love. So, yes, you can turn it around as you did and it is perfectly valid.

What I wanted to highlight is that most of us have real gems at our disposal, piano-wise., and perhaps take for granted those wonderful instruments.

It is not easy for me to express in English these kind of thoughts, hope you understand my point.

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
EB5AGV Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
I playing the Yamaha P-125 at home mainly. The other practice piano is the Yamaha Clavinova in the conservatory when having weekly lessons.

A lot of places are no longer in lockdown but touching a public piano depends. Definitely carry hand sanitizer to wipe the keys before touching a piano / keyboard for your protection. The last time I played something on a Baldwin piano in a store I wasn't too concerned catching the virus. I'm sure the salespeople disinfect the keys regularly.

In this case there was no problem at all. The piano lid was closed when I asked if I could play it. Then they cleaned the keybed for me and was unused during the day, as it remained closed (and the chair used as a bench was also removed until I went back at night). Even being at a hall, it is located on a place which is not directly on the usual path for people to pass, so it was safely untouched.

I also washed my hands both before and after playing.

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
EB5AGV Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
I had never found a lighter acoustic one. It is so light that is very hard to control.

I have had the opposite experience. On a holiday, I brought a touch sensitive controller, also extremely light. I thought I could learn to play the correct notes at the correct time, but nothing more. But when I got more used to the controller, I started to get some control over the dynamics. And the fact that it was so very light forced me to be very precise. When we left, it sounded surprisingly nice. cool

The main problem with that piano is not being too light, but being inconsistent among keys.

I play synth-like actions and, once you get used to it, they can be even pleasant. But when each key has its own way to operate, it is not easy to get used to it!

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Working while pregnant
by Elsbels - 12/07/21 07:41 AM
Improve sound of Casiotone CT-S1
by Charline - 12/07/21 07:28 AM
Which pedals are compatible with Yamaha P-515?
by Olie222 - 12/07/21 05:32 AM
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,425
Posts3,151,169
Members103,545
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission