2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
MP 11 SE is a nice thing for sure. So is the VPC 1 - if you don't want to just switch on the instrument and play sometimes, without the computer hassle.

Some people like the Yamaha P 515 as well, as mentioned above.

Anyway: If you are not limited in your budget, go for the best key action indeed, especially if playing acoustic pianos is your goal. The wooden Kawai actions are second to none in this market segment.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
D
D
I'll add another recommendation. I have a Roland FP90 and a Kawai CA 48. The keyboard on the latter is shorter keyed but has a not too different action. From the mp11. I prefer the Roland. It was my favorite out of all the digital keyboards I tried except those with real actions. And it was close enough to a real action that it was worth it to me to save $5-10,000. I don't have much trouble transitioning back and forth between a grand and the FP90, but I'm not playing at a terribly high level of difficulty. I use pianoteq because I don't love the sound of either of my digital pianos.

N
OP Offline
N
Please excuse me if this isn't allowed, but as I'm looking everywhere at all options, I found this, and it made me laugh. There is absolutely NO WAY this is real hahaha. They are shameless.

https://peoria.craigslist.org/msg/d/washington-this-piano-belongs-to-my/7392138067.html

$20k worth of piano for $350.......riiiiiight.

CA99 and loving it.
C
C
Originally Posted by nofearengineer
Please excuse me if this isn't allowed, but as I'm looking everywhere at all options, I found this, and it made me laugh. There is absolutely NO WAY this is real hahaha. They are shameless.

https://peoria.craigslist.org/msg/d/washington-this-piano-belongs-to-my/7392138067.html

Think he’s joking? Have you ever looked into the cost of moving a grand piano? If you have the room at your place for it, go take a look at it with cash in hand and a couple of strong dudes to help you load it onto your truck. Yes, people often have to basically “give away” their pianos.

D
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
Originally Posted by nofearengineer

Think he’s joking? Have you ever looked into the cost of moving a grand piano? If you have the room at your place for it, go take a look at it with cash in hand and a couple of strong dudes to help you load it onto your truck. Yes, people often have to basically “give away” their pianos.

This is a scam - I've seen this before. Try to contact them and they'll have an excuse that they had to move and the piano is with the movers. They'll ask you to contact them directly to see if they can divert it to your address. They'll need your bank info because it will cost you to ship it etc....they scam you and take your personal info.

Yamaha P515
Steinway A2
C
C
Thanks for the additional info! Yeah, no way there’s a deal unless I can put my hands on it, pay cash and take it home right away.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I am looking at setting up a DAW, and try my hand at finally laying down some of the more orchestral pieces I've had bouncing around in my head for decades. So the realism of the action would be far more important to me than the out of the box sound. I could (and probably will) look at some VST's for variety.
I don't use a weighted action for anything other than pianos. I much prefer a semi-weighted action for orchestral sounds or organs. Graded hammer weight and letoff simulation etc. are not part of the realism of an action if playing a flute or organ.

Portability/weight and sound palette of the top Kawai slab pianos:

MP11SE - 72 lbs./40 voices (sounds)
MP7SE - 49.5 lbs./256 voices + B3 emulator
ES920 - 37.5 lbs./38 voices

All three have the same piano engine (HI-XL). The ES920 and MP7SE have the same keyboard action.

Last edited by Sweelinck; 10/12/21 02:50 PM.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
I don't use a weighted action for anything other than pianos. I much prefer a semi-weighted action for orchestral sounds or organs. Graded hammer weight and letoff simulation etc. are not part of the realism of an action if playing a flute or organ.

Maybe poorly worded on my part. I will most certainly buy an additional keyboard for doing non-piano DAW/VST work. Which is why my piano doesn't need to be a good data entry device. And why I am considering a VCP-1 as well now.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 10/12/21 04:06 PM.

CA99 and loving it.
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
...All three have the same piano engine (HI-XL)...
Hi Sweelinck, How can a beginner or an intermediate pianist distinguish a dp whether it has Hi-XL or not? Say an ES920 vs ES110?

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission