2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ralphiano
I am about to embark on an open baffle speaker system experiment, so, my favorite may change again in the near future. Right now, the Petrof Mistral sounds very nice.

I had a bass amp with open baffle; it sounded surprisingly good. But utising closed baffle speakers instead required far less bass volume setting for the same output.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Since I posted in this thread a couple of years ago I've got all the instrument packs, but the Steinway B is still my favorite. They are all great though.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
N
N
Even though I'm partial to the NY Steinway sound in real life(I'm a new Yorker, so I'm biased?, I prefer the Hamburg in pianoteq. Sounds less artificial. Overall I agree The bechstein and Mistral are probably my favorite overall and the most realistic to my ear in the attack. I have all the modern pianos save for the Steinway B I believe. I am indeed curious about that one.

I wonder if pianoteq has considered using machine learning for it's piano sounds in future revisions. I feel like that could help bring it to the next level.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Having experimented with pretty well all the instruments, I keep coming back to the Blüthner for listening. I love both Steinway Ds, especially the bass of the NY, have enjoyed Steingraeber and Grotrian in the past, but since version 7 listening to the Blüthner brings a smile to my face. Playing the Blüthner doesn't excite me as much as the Steinways and creating a "playing" version (of any instrument) which satisfies and which then renders well with the "listening" version of the Blüthner is still a work in progress. IOW, the bite I enjoy hearing when playing tends to end up too harsh in the treble at forte and above on my equipment.

Too old for a DAW learning curve: a simple midi rendering tidied up by Audacity is all I can manage for creating a half decent library I can enjoy when playing is no longer possible - a situation which is rapidly approaching. Pianoteq has given me so much pleasure, with the auto recording function built in, - after decades of playing grands - in my final playing time.

J
J
very best wishes to you, sandalholme. i hope your playing years stretch longer than anticipated

F
F
Very best wishes indeed, sandalholme.

Originally Posted by napilopez
I wonder if pianoteq has considered using machine learning for it's piano sounds in future revisions. I feel like that could help bring it to the next level.

I reckon standardization of default mic positioning would bring much needed simplicity!

"[Linked Image]"
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Dunno about mic standardisation or machine learning, the software is just ruddy brilliant for my personal usage and there’s so much customisation allowed that I can get the sound I envisage..saying that the Bechstein sounds very good that I always go back to it.

Here I’m using the sweet profile with a tad change on condition and reverb and I’m personally rather pleased with the outcome;

D
D
Petrof

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Many thanks jackopiano and Fleer for your good wishes. Realistically, both index and little fingers won't stand serious piano playing indefinitely and I've had a very good innings. Marriage/family and music have been constants for many decades. Both will remain when performing ceases. I never approached a high level of technique, but the gift of playing is immeasurable and will also remain a positive in terms of "I was able to do that ...." Any significant achievement lives on, even if only in memory.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I'm sorry to hear of your hand difficulties, sandalholme. I hope you can find ways to keep playing and enjoying piano.

jamiecw, that was a very enjoyable performance. Like you, I enjoy the Bechstein very much. I think I'll peruse your YouTube page for some more trreats!

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I'm sorry to hear of your hand difficulties, sandalholme. I hope you can find ways to keep playing and enjoying piano.

Thank you, Ralphiano. I appreciate your response. This thread, full of positive and different views of the various pianos, with no arguments about which instrument is better/worse etc, has been a delight to read.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by sandalholme

Thank you, Ralphiano. I appreciate your response. This thread, full of positive and different views of the various pianos, with no arguments about which instrument is better/worse etc, has been a delight to read.
I have hand problems, finger joint arthritis and other, and have no doubt from my own personal and ongoing experience that playing on an acoustic action, in my case a Yamaha hybrid, is easier on the fingers than either a normal DP action or a synth type action.

Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Originally Posted by sandalholme

I have hand problems, finger joint arthritis and other, and have no doubt from my own personal and ongoing experience that playing on an acoustic action, in my case a Yamaha hybrid, is easier on the fingers than either a normal DP action or a synth type action.

Me too! Me too!(haha) I briefly tried out some Yam and K pianos and found the Millenium action of the Ks to be physically lighter. The pianos too, were more sensitive, and you had to play lightly to avoid too much volume. Those together would put a much easier loading on the fingers and thumbs.
But I found out that all digitals were by no means equal. The action on ES110 is a cheap highly effective solution for me. I can play for long periods on that; I have Pianoteq set to a sensitive touch which produces the lightness in playing.

"[Linked Image]"
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Am I the only one that seems to love the Grotrian ?

Eq at medium or vintage?

Love that nice round Warm sound of Grotrian.

not that online videos are really much to go by but it really does sound to my ears and limited experience, like a Grotrian Steinweg.

Unfortunately That's all I have to go by I've never had hands on experience with a Grotrian.

Just samples of videos online.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
C
C
Originally Posted by Mta88

No, you are not the only one. Several posters have already mentioned the Grotrian among their top three PTQ pianos. It has indeed a beautiful sound with a pronounced sympathetic resonance from the virtual bass strings while avoiding being echoey from too much reverb. It is a nice nuance that I don’t hear in other pianos and which Pianoteq has done a nice job to capture.

Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
Originally Posted by Mta88

No, you are not the only one. Several posters have already mentioned the Grotrian among their top three PTQ pianos. It has indeed a beautiful sound with a pronounced sympathetic resonance from the virtual bass strings while avoiding being echoey from too much reverb. It is a nice nuance that I don’t hear in other pianos and which Pianoteq has done a nice job to capture.

Me too! It's the most natural, and I like the mic placement which does it for me. Haven't worked out mic placement stuff on PTq yet; it looks like a nightmare.

"[Linked Image]"
I'd say it's a toss-up between the NY Steinway and the C. Bechstein. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the Bechstein...

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission