2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (An Old Square, 36251, anotherscott, accordeur, bubbaXzone, 21 invisible), 597 guests, and 510 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22
B
Brendan Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Armellini was excellent in the Opus 35, IMO one step above some of the other versions so far.

Yeah, she's unstoppable and I hope she ends up on the podium. The Mazurkas were fantastic, too. There was a quote from a review that said that the piano is basically an extension of her body, and that was especially true today.

Furumi is so underrated. She has been the most consistent of the Japanese cohort this round and gave what I thought was a beautiful, convincing performance. Much more alive than lots of the sleepy playing we had yesterday.

H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
If they pass 10 for the final, there are only 4 places left since the other 6 places are already reserved.

In this regard Armellini, Gevorgyan, Khozyainov, Kobayashi might advance. Though still not heard Gevorgyan, Khozyainov and Kobayashi. Just predicting from previous rounds.

If they again increase the number to say e.g. 12 or only reserve 4 places, then maybe Sorita and Gadjiev might have a chance. Again not heard Gadjiev, but I am expecting him to play good in this round.

Last edited by Hakki; 10/15/21 10:11 AM.
S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Jeff Kallberg

In the Polish national edition of the Mazuraks (which I think most of the competitors seem to use) 33/2 is the C major, and 33/3 is the D major. This reflects the ordering in the French (and English) first editions, which are thought to be closer to Chopin's wishes than the ordering in the German first edition (which puts the D major before the C major).

Jeff Kallberg[/quote]

Hi Jeff, yes that makes sense. Indeed the first french and english editions have it in different order. Henle did keep the D major first like in the german edition though.

S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Rao played well. Though unless I missed something he did not play the opus 33/3 which was on his program.

Correction. Rao did play all 4 pieces. I was confused as he followed the order of the Polish Edition which is different from my score.

H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
I had grown up listening to op.35 Sonata from a Gilles recording.

Gadjiev’s performance refreshed my memories.

B
B
I was impressed by Piotr Alexiwicz and Wiercinski. Sorita was stronger in the earlier rounds. Cateen was mixed in my opinion. Because of his huge YT following they keep advancing him. The internet numbers quadruple whenever he is on stage.
Also impressedy by Bruce Liu from Canada and Gadjiev from Italy. Disappointed that Pierdomenico failed to advance.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
Liszt: Chasse Neige
B
B
Originally Posted by Hakki
If they pass 10 for the final, there are only 4 places left since the other 6 places are already reserved.

What? If 6 places are already reserved, who are they reserved for? Why bother with recital rounds for these 6 then? And who are they?

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
B
Brendan Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
B
I have a feeling they'll pass 12 (or at least 11), not only to make up for COVID, but also since there are so many strong players. It's the right thing to do.

Gadjiev nailed it today, I loved the pedal effects in the funeral march. Gagliano was also nice but seemed nervous like some of the others were. Garcia now is somewhat boring, IMO. He'll probably pass, though.

B
B
Garcia sings along with some of the music, a little disconcerting. And ending with a Waltz may not resonate with the judges.
Gadjiev was very strong today. I would like to hear his concerto.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by BeeZee4
Cateen was mixed in my opinion. Because of his huge YT following they keep advancing him. The internet numbers quadruple whenever he is on stage.
What do you base that comment on? I think most of the judges have never even seen one of his postings as Cateen and, more importantly, could not care less about the number of people following a particular contestant.

B
B
The jury of judges and teachers are not unaware of today's social media. Their professional livelehoods are staked on a diminishing interest in classical music, so anything that grows the market is in their interest as well. Cateen (Hayato Sumino) has a rabid YouTube fan base. In Japan he is probably as popular as Yuzura Hanyu, the decorated Olympic figure skater. On the livestream the numbers of viewers shot up markedly during this summers preliminary round as well as this October. Especially in the rounds which took place in the Japan time zone. I'm sure they are aware of that. Many of the online comments support Cateen (and they know him as Sumino too).
More viewers and subscribers means more advertising revenue for the competition as well.

That said, he is a decent enough player, but Sorito has more of a presence, at least in the early recitals. They both may make the last phase.

Last edited by BeeZee4; 10/15/21 03:16 PM. Reason: more info

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I very highly doubt that particular jury, en masse, has any interest in these "technological gimmicks". Most of them have never performed through live streaming through a concert hall programming, not to mention more personal interest in social media or YouTube. Even if individual jury members would care, I think it's very far fetched to assume this might impact their assessment.

This has nothing to do with Sumino's playing. I've enjoyed his performances, haven't heard the 3rd stage yet and I learned about his YT channel only today.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
Online Content
The jury of judges and teachers are not unaware of today's social media. Their professional livelehoods are staked on a diminishing interest in classical music, so anything that grows the market is in their interest as well. Cateen (Hayato Sumino) has a rabid YouTube fan base. In Japan he is probably as popular as Yuzura Hanyu, the decorated Olympic figure skater. On the livestream the numbers of viewers shot up markedly during this summers preliminary round as well as this October. Especially in the rounds which took place in the Japan time zone. I'm sure they are aware of that. Many of the online comments support Cateen (and they know him as Sumino too).
More viewers and subscribers means more advertising revenue for the competition as well.
Your thinking about the judges' motivation is pure speculation.

Most of the judges are of an age where I don't think social media is important to them. They are not the same age as most of Cateen's YT fans. But even if they are aware of and have seen Cateen's videos, you don't give them much credit for looking for much more important things when judging such an important competition. Anyone can watch the competition for free and to say the judges would pass someone to the next round for some probably small monetary gain for the competition or because online viewers supported him is very negative thinking.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/15/21 03:34 PM.
S
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
S
Excellent performance by Eva Gevorgyan, a lot of intensity in the opus 35 sonata, the mazurkas were very good also. A strong contender for the final.

B
B
I don't consider YouTube a gimmick. It's here and it's been a boon to many artists. Consider Valentina Litsitsa as an example. And Igor Levit during lockdown reached a huge worldwide audience with his nightly recitals from his apartment in Berlin. This forum we are using is a social media platform as well. And jury members probably go back on YouTube to view each contestant to check their assesments.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
Online Content
I don't consider YouTube a gimmick. It's here and it's been a boon to many artists. Consider Valentina Litsitsa as an example. And Igor Levit during lockdown reached a huge worldwide audience with his nightly recitals from his apartment in Berlin. This forum we are using is a social media platform as well. And jury members probably go back on YouTube to view each contestant to check their assesments.
Lisitsa and Levit are from a completely different generation than most of the judges. When the poster used "gimmick" he was referring to what he thought the judges think.

V
V
Originally Posted by Brendan
I have a feeling they'll pass 12 (or at least 11), not only to make up for COVID, but also since there are so many strong players. It's the right thing to do.

Gadjiev nailed it today, I loved the pedal effects in the funeral march. Gagliano was also nice but seemed nervous like some of the others were. Garcia now is somewhat boring, IMO. He'll probably pass, though.

This is not possible. As stated during Chopin Talk with the organizers, while they were allowed to pass more people in the previous rounds, the final round will be strictly limited to 10 participants.

T
T
I just finished watching session 1 of 10/15. Of the 4, I thought Armellini was the best, followed by JJ Bui. I felt Candotti struggled to get through the first half of her program (2nd Ballade and 2nd Scherzo), and was finally in her zone in the Sonata. Furumi started strong but seemed to have issues in the coda of the 3rd Sonata.

I checked the Wikipedia pages of the 2010 and the 2015 editions and there were only 10 finalists in each. Perhaps the phrase "in principle" in the competition rules (Sec. XII) applies to only Stages 1 and 2, and not the Final, i.e. no flexibility.

Work in progress...
H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
IMO, the media, concert organizers and music industry would love to see Hayato Sumino (Cateen) win the first prize.

But whether that can actually happen is another story.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Hakki
IMO, the media, concert organizers and music industry would love to see Hayato Sumino (Cateen) win the first prize.
That may be true, but that doesn't mean the judges will vote for him for that reason.

Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 04:38 PM
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 03:44 PM
My tech knows I am OCD
by RobAC - 12/02/21 02:09 PM
A little OT - a Thanksgiving Day piano float
by Rich Galassini - 12/02/21 01:50 PM
Preventing noise transmission
by happyhacker - 12/02/21 01:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,354
Posts3,150,268
Members103,492
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission