2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
31 members (brennbaer, C. L., drewr, Almaviva, anamnesis, 8 invisible), 445 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
If they’re alive or recently passed, definitely do your best to pronounce their name correctly. It’s respectful. Though, Chopin is so long dead, I don’t think it’s quite as big a deal as long as it’s close enough.
True. but don't ever call him "Choppin." smile

I always take my Chopin Liszt with me to the grocery store.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
On the classical radio station also, I always get tickled when the announcer would pronounce Richard Wagner as in 'rick-hard', or some Italian composer's name in Italian accent. It's correct of course, but the quest to be authentic-sounding seems forced and instead becomes smile-inducing.
I mainly find it annoying when radio announcers (in the US anyway) go out of their way to accentuate a non-Anglicized pronunciation, only to get it wrong, or mixing the paradigms such as saying Ree-card Wagner instead of Ree-card Vahgner, or an Anglicized "Johann Sebastian" followed by Bach with an over-accentuated gutteral "ch".

D
D
It's all good fun!
Listening to German classical radio here, their big revenge for Bark and Handle is Relf Worn Villiams.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dorfmouse
.....Listening to German classical radio here, their big revenge for Bark and Handle is Relf Worn Villiams.

I guess although my mom was Polish but since German was sort of her first second language, in English it took her a while to get the hang of the W's and V's. Like, for a good while, Wisconsin was Visconsin and Vicki was Wicki....

B
B
It's all good fun!
Listening to German classical radio here, their big revenge for Bark and Handle is Relf Worn Villiams.
And I always thought Arnie said:"I'll be Bach!"........

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
I mainly find it annoying when radio announcers (in the US anyway) go out of their way to accentuate a non-Anglicized pronunciation

I dunno, I remember being kinda disappointed hearing a public radio announcer pronounce Haydn as "Hay den".

J
J
Originally Posted by cygnusdei
This reminds me of a friend from Italy - she said it's LAT-te, not lat-tay. And she rolled her eyes at 'frappuccino' 🙄

I feel weird ordering a latte, since that's just milk, but if I ask for a caffè latte, sometimes they get confused and respond with something like "a what sort of latte? an oat milk latte?" 🤷‍♂️

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Mark_C
.....Listening to German classical radio here, their big revenge for Bark and Handle is Relf Worn Villiams.

I guess although my mom was Polish but since German was sort of her first second language, in English it took her a while to get the hang of the W's and V's. Like, for a good while, Wisconsin was Visconsin and Vicki was Wicki....

Wisconsin is actually a French transliteration of a local native phrase for "land of many lakes", which consisted of three single-syllable words that would be pronounced like wees-cone-san (despite the "n" being silent in a French pronunciation of Wisconsin). So today, we have an Anglicized pronunciation of a French transliteration of a Native American language name/phrase.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
It's all good fun!
Our local announcers always pronounce his first name Ralph like Rafe. I presume that is accurate.

Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Wisconsin is actually a French transliteration of a local native phrase for "land of many lakes", which consisted of three single-syllable words that would be pronounced like wees-cone-san (despite the "n" being silent in a French pronunciation of Wisconsin). So today, we have an Anglicized pronunciation of a French transliteration of a Native American language name/phrase.

You're kidding!!

I lived in wees-cone-san for 4 years without knowing any of that.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Except I didn't have it quite right. The translation was the name of a river that we today call the Wisconsin River. Father Jacques Marquette had created a map in which he transliterated the Menominee name for the river as Mescousin on a map he made during an exploration with fur trapper Louis Joliet.

Someone misread Marquette's handwriting and thouggt it was Ouisconsin in French, after which it was changed to Wisconsin.

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Article/CS3663

Speaking of French transliteration and pronunciation, Chopin was fluent in French, and I'm not aware that he ever tried to transliterate the Polish pronunciation of his family name in French. He signed his letters to Georges Sand as "Fred."

(I knew all that, including about it being initially about the river, because after seeing your post I went and read further about it.
I didn't think that detail was any big deal. You had it what I'd call right.)

Speaking of misreadings: One of the several theories of how the city of Nome, Alaska got its name is that a cartographer didn't know its name and so he wrote "Name?" on his map -- and it got misread as Nome, and hence the name Nome.

As far as I know, there isn't any definite answer for where the name came from and this story is thought to be as good as any.

BTW, please nobody post any guesses on how Intercourse, Pa. got its name. grin

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Illinois is even weirder than Wisconsin:

The name Illinois derives from the Miami-Illinois verb irenwe·wa 'he speaks the regular way'. This was taken into the Ojibwe language, perhaps in the Ottawa dialect, and modified into ilinwe· (pluralized as ilinwe·k). The French borrowed these forms, spelling the /we/ ending as -ois, a transliteration of that sound in the French of that time.

So the common pronunciation of Illinois is based on an English mispronunciation of a French transliteration of a native american language based on French pronunciation from the 17th century.

M
M
Another mispronounced (I think) composer is Jean Françaix. I've heard a DJ on our local classical station pronounce the last name as Frawn-Sakes. I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

1994 M&H BB; Yamaha N1X
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
And one of life's great mysteries: does Bernstein rhyme with spine or spleen?

A rising tide lifts all the boats

Depends who it is, right?

Some like it steen, and some like it stine.
But they usually don't complain if you say it the other way, do they.....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's "steen" just like those two famous piano brands: Steenway and Steengraeber. wink

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
B
B
This subject has cropped up before in PW. And unfortunately, Bernstein is frequently mispronounced by people who should know better (or maybe they can't spell), and B himself once chastised someone who called him spleen, when in fact he is full of spine.

Quite simply, how do you spell his name: Bernstein - or Bernstien? (Like Spielberg, as in Jaws etc)

Last edited by bennevis; 10/19/21 03:43 PM.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by bennevis
Quite simply, how do you spell his name

"It's Bouquet. B-U-C-K-E-T."

😂

A rising tide lifts all the boats
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
Since we are un-bashing the French, just listen to how they pronounce the greatest composer who ever lived and who will ever live - Mozart.
You misspelled Bach. laugh

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shostakovich Second Waltz piano transcription..
by Petoskeyguy - 05/26/22 09:53 PM
Disklavier MKII : replace power supply?
by carlspost - 05/26/22 03:33 PM
Sight reading progress
by BlizzardPiano - 05/26/22 03:18 PM
13th Piano Composition Competition Fidelio (Extended!!)
by harmonium53 - 05/26/22 01:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,254
Posts3,194,757
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission