2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi Guys.

So I know the CFX is very well regarded here and for good reason.

It hits all the right boxes ...well mostly ..

At the moment however for whatever reason, not sure if my ears are ageing or what, I can't seem to really get into it at all due to the overwhelming amount of resonance .

And no matter how much I fiddle with the settings, it doesn't go away.

To me it's so much resonance I can barely hear the actual piano.

Any pointers on what I'm doing wrong feel free to let me know.

Is there any way to make it more dry?

Thanks in advance

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
1. Disable any reverb (no need at all for it).

2. Turn down (or turn off) the "Ambient Mics" slider in the Main tab. This is assuming you're not using the "Player" mic perspective.

Those are the two big ones, I'm not sure how much drier it can get (another thing to try is the different Close mics between the Classic/Contemporary perspectives, one might be drier than the other).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I recently noticed that the resonance is significantly greater through speakers when compared to headphones. It's like it has a built in room reverb and you're adding your own room to the mix. Are you using speakers or headphones? If speakers, try reducing the ambient mic all the way down.

N
N
Originally Posted by Mta88
Hi Guys.

So I know the CFX is very well regarded here and for good reason.

It hits all the right boxes ...well mostly ..

At the moment however for whatever reason, not sure if my ears are ageing or what, I can't seem to really get into it at all due to the overwhelming amount of resonance .

And no matter how much I fiddle with the settings, it doesn't go away.

To me it's so much resonance I can barely hear the actual piano.

Any pointers on what I'm doing wrong feel free to let me know.

Is there any way to make it more dry?

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
I recently noticed that the resonance is significantly greater through speakers when compared to headphones. It's like it has a built in room reverb and you're adding your own room to the mix. Are you using speakers or headphones? If speakers, try reducing the ambient mic all the way down.

Yep, if you're using speakers the resonance is going be worse because you are adding early and late reflections from the recording itself to the ones in your room. In addition, though this shouldn't affect the garritan too much, if you have your speakers against a wall, especially in a small room, you will have significantly more bass energy than in the recording.

Aside from turning down the ambient mic setting, try messing with the room release/decay knobs. Even the close mics have a lot of room sound in them so turning down the decay helps cut some of that off.

M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for all the responses. I’m actually using a pair of studio monitors believe it or not.

Will try turning down the ambient mics and fiddle a bit more with the settings to see if I can lose all this room resonance .

Considering the noire because of this tbh.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
O
O
bet you've tried changing Audience/Performer mode. Mine stays in Performer mode 99% of time. And I do what Gombessa recommends too.

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
It's just the ambient mic you need to lower, also there are 2 dials in settings that make a massive difference, if they are past half way or more they add lots of reverb/ambience, they are the first 2 dials i believe in the piano setting tab part. Turn those both right down, personally all the ambience makes the piano come alive to me so i keep everything quite high in terms of ambience as I find it more enjoyable to play. However the default classic cfx preset is very ambient/reverb focused, unnaturally high, but I like that.

A
A
This discussion raises an important question of audio mastering:

Given a track, recorded with Garritan CFX, what is the best way to make it sound well in headphones, in external monitors, and in any reasonable audio device, like a professionally mastered track?

M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by mwf
It's just the ambient mic you need to lower, also there are 2 dials in settings that make a massive difference, if they are past half way or more they add lots of reverb/ambience, they are the first 2 dials i believe in the piano setting tab part. Turn those both right down, personally all the ambience makes the piano come alive to me so i keep everything quite high in terms of ambience as I find it more enjoyable to play. However the default classic cfx preset is very ambient/reverb focused, unnaturally high, but I like that.

This Helped. Thanks

Funny thing is the unnatural ambiance is growing on me lol

But for certain piano pieces it’s a bit much .

Not accustomed to playing as tho I’m in a concert hall but I imagine Garritan mimicked that

Can’t picture ever using the garritan with studio monitors tho the additional room reverb from the physical room the speakers are in would probably be overwhelming

Will stick to headphones for the time being .

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
As a classical pianist, I love the ambient microphones and the concert hall like effect it gives me. I'm preparing for a concerto competition at school now, and this software can give me the likeness of playing in a hall, which is better than just practicing in a practice room, IMO.

S
S
Originally Posted by David Lai
As a classical pianist, I love the ambient microphones and the concert hall like effect it gives me. I'm preparing for a concerto competition at school now, and this software can give me the likeness of playing in a hall, which is better than just practicing in a practice room, IMO.

It's a question of approach.
I prefer dry samples whth a good separate reverb.
Sometimes you just want to hear an intimate sound.

K
K
The following is the dryest you can really do and still sound nice. Also make sure ot chose default Player preset, select performer perspective and turn off reverb :

[Linked Image]

Last edited by karoloydi; 10/22/21 12:30 PM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Yeah, the CFX has fundamental that is a stronger than expected. It's a very warm sound.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
Originally Posted by karoloydi
The following is the dryest you can really do and still sound nice. Also make sure ot chose default Player preset, select performer perspective and turn off reverb :

[Linked Image]

Thank you very much for this preset. Wonderful smile

Yamaha P 525
VSL D-274 , BI and CFX, NI Komplete Ultimate, VPS Avenger, Gig Performer
IK loud MTMs, Motu M4, DT 990 pro, AKG702, Macbook pro M1
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Karoloydi: any reason for setting the master slider so low? Shouldn't it be set at least at the same value as the highest partial slider? I would put the master slider between 0 and 5, or otherwise you are simply decreasing the output to the speakers and potentially reducing the signal to noise ratio.

Last edited by vagfilm; 10/23/21 09:02 AM.
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for that screenshot will definitely try it. Cfx is abating the purchase more vst fever lately lolll.

Between modern U and CFX I think I’m good.

Been cheating on piano with a little bit of guitar lately too frown

I feel so bad lol

Thanks for the replies guys very useful

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
K
K
Originally Posted by vagfilm
Karoloydi: any reason for setting the master slider so low? Shouldn't it be set at least at the same value as the highest partial slider? I would put the master slider between 0 and 5, or otherwise you are simply decreasing the output to the speakers and potentially reducing the signal to noise ratio.

Oh, that's a long story.

Basically I have 2 instances of Garritan playing at the same time. One instance is standalone version playing via my Korg LP-380 audio and another instance as a vst in Cubase playing through my monitor speakers. The cubase version is the one playing at a lower volume. The LP-380 is the one playing at regular volume.

The LP-380 speakers are under the keyboard, so it sounds weird that the piano sound comes from under your legs. When I add the cubase instance it sounds more like a real piano.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Ok, that explains it... Thanks...

C
C
Why is the master turned down ???

Clavinova CLP 735,Noire,Pianoteq,Garritan,Synchron,Ravenscroft,
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission