2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
The thing I wonder about Sumino(Cateen) is how much he loves classical music vs. the kind of music he plays on his YouTube site which is quite heavily non classical. Do you think someone can love classical and non classical equally? My guess is for the style of music he plays on his site he is among the best in the world, but I wonder if he plays that style mostly because he can(I think?) make a significant amount of money from the site since it is popular with so many viewers. Or maybe he actually prefers the music he plays on his site to Chopin?

Yes I think it is possible. Personally I do. The only issue for someone that young is that I am not sure he can perfectly assimilate what it takes to play Chopin at the ultimate level of refinement, because he is also spending quite some time on completely different styles. Personally I have not seen yet someone who can be a top notch classical pianist and be also equally good and active in pop or jazz.

Blüthner model 6
B
B
Originally Posted by Sidokar
The thing I wonder about Sumino(Cateen) is how much he loves classical music vs. the kind of music he plays on his YouTube site which is quite heavily non classical. Do you think someone can love classical and non classical equally? My guess is for the style of music he plays on his site he is among the best in the world, but I wonder if he plays that style mostly because he can(I think?) make a significant amount of money from the site since it is popular with so many viewers. Or maybe he actually prefers the music he plays on his site to Chopin?

Yes I think it is possible. Personally I do. The only issue for someone that young is that I am not sure he can perfectly assimilate what it takes to play Chopin at the ultimate level of refinement, because he is also spending quite some time on completely different styles. Personally I have not seen yet someone who can be a top notch classical pianist and be also equally good and active in pop or jazz.

Jean Yves Thibaudet comes closest to mind. On the reverse side Keith Jarrett has released classical albums to decent reviews.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
Liszt: Chasse Neige
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Do you think someone can love classical and non classical equally?
Yes. I am proof.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chopinetto
Yes. I am proof.
To expand on this a little...

I am regularly moved to tears by music in the jazz and showtunes fields. I couldn't live without it.

And I don't agree with the way you frame this question. "Classical music" is a useless umbrella term that I'd really like to see erased from our vocabulary. It should only ever be used to describe the actual classical period 1750-1820. What Bach was doing in the 1720s is nothing like what Chopin was doing in the 1830s -> is nothing like what Debussy was doing in the 1910s, and I consider many other "non Classical" artists into the 20th century to be part of that same lineage of musical invention and genius.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by BeeZee4

Jean Yves Thibaudet comes closest to mind. On the reverse side Keith Jarrett has released classical albums to decent reviews.
I think Thibaudet just plays transcriptions of Bill Evans or some other jazz great. Jarrett is not anywhere near outstanding as a classical pianist as he is as a jazz pianist.

Online Content
Yes. I am proof.
Although I may have not made it clear, I was really asking about someone who is a high level professional in each field loving them equally.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S

I think Thibaudet just plays transcriptions of Bill Evans or some other jazz great. Jarrett is not anywhere near outstanding as a classical pianist as he is as a jazz pianist.

Your original question of LOVES them equally has now morphed into the impossible PLAYS them equally 😉

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Yes. I am proof.
Although I may have not made it clear, I was really asking about someone who is a high level professional in each field loving them equally.

Yui Morishita has made a career in Japan as both a classical and anime/Jpop transcription pianist.

I’m not close to the same category as the pianists you’re asking about, but I genuinely love and perform many other styles of music as much as I do classical.

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 10/17/21 11:11 PM.
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F

From what I read he loves classical music. It’s in his vein. His mother is a piano teacher educated in Japanese conservatory of music. He has been studying classical music with a prominent piano teacher for 21 years. His mother taught him 3 to 5years old. According to his piano teacher, his mother once told her not to encourage him too much because he is good with hard facts (math and science). She ignored it. Anyway, in Japan, boys are encouraged to take piano as a hobby but not as profession because it is very difficult to make living with music in Japan. He had a hard time to decide going to conservatory or Tokyo University(basically Japan’s Harvard) but decided not to go to conservatory. Parents influence here. But he wound up playing the piano much more than before in college. There are serious classical performance video’s remaining from those days. He did many other things musically but I believe classical was his main thing. He invited his teacher to a street piano concert when his graduation is approaching. He played mostly classical music there and looked so happy. By looking at how happy he was, his teacher said she teared up. She said she could not sleep thinking about him. Once he went into workforce, this is the end of his piano - at least the path to become a concert pianist would be closed. He seemed to have a promising career but she had a plan. The biggest National piano competition (It’s all classical) was approaching. He had been a constant entrants for it since childhood but this time she asked if he wanted to try for the special class (for young professional pianists). He was one of the very few non conservatory graduates. She knew it was up to him but she wanted to give him the last chance. To her surprise he eagerly embraced the challenge. Of course his parents were fiercely against it at first. Anyway he got the first prize and performed Rachmaninoff piano concerto. The rest is history. Look at this. I’m sure you can feel his love for classical music.

T
T
The Polish Radio has been interviewing competitors throughout and could be found on their YouTube page.

Found a few interviews they did with jurors:
10/9 Janusz Olejniczak (in Polish): link
10/13 Katarzyna Popowa-Zydroń (jury-chair, in Polish, but someone left a recap in English in the Comments section): link
10/15 Dina Yoffe (in English): link

Last edited by Turn-Table; 10/18/21 01:27 AM.

Work in progress...
Online Content
Originally Posted by dogperson

Your original question of LOVES them equally has now morphed into the impossible PLAYS them equally 😉
Not really. My original post and question was about Cateen, maybe one of the few pianists on the planet who plays classical and non classical at an incredibly high professional level.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Are the finals being live streamed? I'm having a lot of trouble navigating their website.

SRF
B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by SiFi
Are the finals being live streamed? I'm having a lot of trouble navigating their website.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
OK, cheers! I thought they started today for some reason.

SRF
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H

You are correct.

Indeed it starts today at 18:00 CET. About 40 minutes from now.

Ubu Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hakki

You are correct.

Indeed it starts today at 18:00 CET. About 40 minutes from now.

And it is all live streamed via youtube

B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
Whoops, wrong link:

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Is Pacholec playing with little dynamic range or is it from the stream?

I hope some genius recording technician is not intervening with the sound level of the piano again.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Pacholec’s E minor was the most uninspired version of this beautiful concerto I have ever heard. Almost like a Hanon exercise.

The jury probably regretted advancing him.

Last edited by Hakki; 10/18/21 01:00 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It sounds like a recording setup and not Pacholec. The piano is like it's hidden behind a curtain...

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission