2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (c++, An Old Square, accordeur, BravoRomeo, 36251, anotherscott, 16 invisible), 657 guests, and 496 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3164899 10/18/21 12:38 PM
A
OP Offline
A
New here, so thank you for your patience.

I'm helping my wife purchase her first piano and would like to know where the Canadians/Albertans here would look. Looking at the stores in Calgary and on K...I there doesn't appear to be much of a selection.

We're looking for a used baby grand of moderate to good quality. Is there somewhere that we are missing? We don't and won't use FB so that is not an option.

We're in no rush, but would like to be on the right track. Presently using a Casio keyboard.

Albertan

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
It's not uncommon for people to have to travel in order to have more viable options.
Vancouver, BC seems to have a fairly robust piano market (although it's a bit of a hike from AB).

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

J
J
Are you looking for used or brand new?

Yamaha C2X
Kawai MP11SE
Kawai K300 (Sold)

My Youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxcUXVYxe1KM914SJX8YXsg
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by JerryFan2000
Are you looking for used or brand new?

Thanks to all so far for responding.

We're looking for used, but a better manufacturer. It seems there's lot's of old, obscure pianos but few used of the more desirable
makes.(Except Yamaha which seem to be everywhere) Size would be in the 5'3 to 5'10 range.

An example of what we'd like to find would be Kawai RX-2, Hailun 161&178, Estonia 168,, even some Ritmullers.

BC has been on my mind, but is a long way away to buy a piano. And it is soon winter. I would't consider traveling there for a piano, but would have to find someone locally to check it out. Not the best solution.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Albertan
BC has been on my mind, but is a long way away to buy a piano. And it is soon winter. I would't consider traveling there for a piano, but would have to find someone locally to check it out. Not the best solution.

No, not the best solution, but people have been forced by Covid to go outside the normal channels. Definitely have a local inspection if you do. thumb

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

S
S
Some great pianos can come up on the used market for private sale...although it takes patience and vigilance ( and a bit of luck! ). When I was looking for mine I checked Kijiji daily and scrolled through hundreds of junkers. I'm not a fan of FB either, but I know a lot of used piano are advertised there. Maybe there is a friend with an account that can keep an eye on it for you?
Another great way is to make the acquaintance of a reputable tech, and see if he/she will let you know if a good one comes up for sale. The idea being that they will get your loyalty and business after purchase ( also inspection etc ).

Good luck! It took four years of waiting for me, making due with a piano that I had outgrown. I live in NL though so even tougher than Alberta. In the end I had so many people roped into looking for me that when my upright was advertised at the university's music department, my phone was ringing off the hook smile

( Just to clarify, my piano wasn't from the University, they are often hard-used, the private seller just advertised there )

Last edited by SuzyUpright; 10/19/21 03:16 AM.
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You might also try PianoMart. They have nice pianos listed there and there’s also PianoWorld’s listings however I think most of the pianos are in the US.

I’ve been told and have seen that the post pandemic world loves pianos so inventory and selection could be limited. You may have to be patient to find your piano.
Best Wishes!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
You might also try PianoMart. They have nice pianos listed there and there’s also PianoWorld’s listings however I think most of the pianos are in the US.

I’ve been told and have seen that the post pandemic world loves pianos so inventory and selection could be limited. You may have to be patient to find your piano.
Best Wishes!

Aren’t all of the pianos in PianoMart from the US?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by j&j

Best Wishes!

Aren’t all of the pianos in PianoMart from the US?

You’re probably right but it would only take a few minutes for the OP to see if it covers Canada.

J & J
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by SuzyUpright
Some great pianos can come up on the used market for private sale...although it takes patience and vigilance ( and a bit of luck! ). When I was looking for mine I checked Kijiji daily and scrolled through hundreds of junkers. I'm not a fan of FB either, but I know a lot of used piano are advertised there. Maybe there is a friend with an account that can keep an eye on it for you?
Another great way is to make the acquaintance of a reputable tech, and see if he/she will let you know if a good one comes up for sale. The idea being that they will get your loyalty and business after purchase ( also inspection etc ).

Good luck! It took four years of waiting for me, making due with a piano that I had outgrown. I live in NL though so even tougher than Alberta. In the end I had so many people roped into looking for me that when my upright was advertised at the university's music department, my phone was ringing off the hook smile

( Just to clarify, my piano wasn't from the University, they are often hard-used, the private seller just advertised there )

Sounds like you know exactly where we stand. We are telling everyone we know about our quest and have let some technicians and instructors know. It's amazing how many people said "we just gave our piano away" Mainly uprights I would assume.
We have a friend watching FB but you get what you pay for. FB also has some wacko's on it.
Too bad there's not a Canadian Pianomart!
What did you end up buying?

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Albertan
Originally Posted by SuzyUpright

Sounds like you know exactly where we stand. We are telling everyone we know about our quest and have let some technicians and instructors know. It's amazing how many people said "we just gave our piano away" Mainly uprights I would assume.
We have a friend watching FB but you get what you pay for. FB also has some wacko's on it.
Too bad there's not a Canadian Pianomart!
What did you end up buying?

Awww, too bad there’s not a Canadian PianoMart.

J & J
[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Eh...?

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

😁

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
N
N
When you search Pianomart and filter using the country Canada there are 26 Pianos

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by N Artur
When you search Pianomart and filter using the country Canada there are 26 Pianos

Thank you, I hadn't noticed that filter. I'll hop right to it.

S
S
I ended up with a Yamaha WX7. My little house can't fit a grand, as much as I'd love one, and good grands are even scarcer here than uprights. It was in
great condition, and I had it voiced and regulated after purchase.
I'm very happy with it and it was worth the wait, although it irritates me to no end that Yamaha recycled the model number to use for their midi wind controller instrument! Grrrr!

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by N Artur

Thank you. Good to know.

J & J
[Linked Image]
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
In TO. Calgary, Toronto, Montreal: super dry winter, super damp summer. Any piano will be destroyed in one year UNLESS you deal with humidity control. I have DampChaser for my piano, but I ditched it for whole room humidification.

I like the 178 Haliun, but I have a 218. Like any piano, you gotta be very careful. It’s all too easy to find poor 178s and poor anything else, for that matter. I have a soft spot for Petroff, too, but totally different sound. Japanese and German are of course another level (sometimes) but $$$$$.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Whole room humidification (but not too aggressive) AND internal HCS is (IMO) the best of both worlds. The primary issue with bringing whole house humidity to a level that the piano REALLY likes, is migration. Temperature/humidity inside vs temp/humidity outside in higher latitudes CAN gradually create condensation/freezing inside the wall (towards the outside where the temp is at 32 or below). IOW if the differential is too great, one risks mold and/or rot in time. There is a formula that HVAC installers use to determine the "safe" indoor humidity level relative to global positioning.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 04:38 PM
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 03:44 PM
My tech knows I am OCD
by RobAC - 12/02/21 02:09 PM
A little OT - a Thanksgiving Day piano float
by Rich Galassini - 12/02/21 01:50 PM
Preventing noise transmission
by happyhacker - 12/02/21 01:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,354
Posts3,150,276
Members103,492
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission