2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OldSoul Offline OP
OP Offline
Tips for the best configuration for not having problems with a Macbook to use Garritan Cfx, Vsl Cfx, VI labs Italian / Modern U and Pianoteq?
Thanks to those who can help me.

Petrof P125 * Roland LX 706 * Pianoteq 8 - Grand Steinway B & D - Petrof - Steingraeber - U4 - Grand K2 // Garritan - CFX // Vsl - B.Upright - D.274 // Addictive Keys - Modern Upright // ViLabs - Modern U // Kontakt - Noire - The Grandeur - The Gentleman // Production Voices - Production Grand 2
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
This is a tricky one. As for now, among the ones you mention, Pianoteq is the only one that has native suport for apple silicon (M1/pro/max). However, both VSL and UVI (the company that provides the sample player for VIlabs) have stated that they are working on native suport for apple silicon but it's unsure when they will release it. Garritan is more vague and says that "apple silicon currently doesn't meet their demands". You can run all these plugins in Rosetta but there is a chance for unwanted latency. So for right now I guess an intel Mac is the best bet for a trouble free experience but that can change in the near future and I think there are other drawbacks with buying a new intel Mac now.

Last edited by johanibraaten; 10/20/21 06:48 AM.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If it serves, I run all the commented VSTs on a late 2013 i5 iMac and they perform flawlessly with MacOS Big Sur (yes, I did the trick to run it on that old iMac). So I would say that any recent Intel MacBook should do

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I have the M1 and have been using CFX with little to no issues so far.

Occasional pop here and there but I had other programs up as well so there is that.

and also I have the 8GB configuration not the 16..

When I said I had other programs up I meant hardcore programs like World community grid processing Cancer markers so oops. I'll test it out some more and let u know.

I think there was another member on this forum that was Able to use the CFX from Garritan with no issues as well..

thing is yes it ain't officially supported but thru Rosetta the m1 is still faster than the intel chips from what I understand.

For future proof purposes it's probably a good idea to go with the m1

and well now there is the m1 pro and m1 max ..

But again I'm not an expert and can't predict where things gonna go.

Best bet is to speak with someone else on this forum to see their experience with the m1 and confirm the above.

I'll give Garritan another go and let u know.

My experience with the m1 is that it is a beast and doesn't slow down for nothing.

I had an intel core i3 11th gen air and it was very laggy and kept overheating .

This the fan doesn't even come on. Gotta push it with hardcore apps for it to even start spinning and it just runs buttery smooth all the time.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
ok so I just played the crap out of my CFX . Ran a bruce Hornsby changes run followed by Richard Marx and three other songs that popped into my head... no pops. nothing.

128 buffer...

I can try 64 buffer and see if it works fine. As long as there aren't any applications up other than the CFX it works fine.

kinda tried to push it to the limits by playing unaturally fast with overuse of the pedal... Mac handled it like a breeze.

Will do another run with it at 64 buffer later and post.. my hands hurt now.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I can also confirm that ravenscroft and modern U works perfectly with the m1. And well we all know Pianoteq supports it natively.

Havent tried any kontakt instruments as yet. Considering purchasing the Definitive collection or noire. Or possibly ivory studio grands seeing as they are on sale.

I'm a mess and have the VST fever so gonna take some Panadol extra strength and calm down before I empty my wallet .

(US equivalent of Panadol extra strength is probably Tylenol: Active ingredient the Americans refer to as acetaminophen and everyone else in the world calls it paracetamol. Same thing lol)

Forgive any Caribbean "bad" English unless it's for an academic paper or something I don't pay much attention to how I type online.

Last edited by Mta88; 10/20/21 03:31 PM.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
N
N
Even without native support for apple silicon, M1 is a beast. And I saw this as a jealous staunch windows person. I find it unlikely that even through rosetta you would have serious issues. But yeah, if you have the budget you could get extra slack with the new MacBook Pro.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
For those using high impedance headphones the good news is that the new 14in and 16in Macs support them natively via the new headphone jack, so there should be no need for an external amplifier....

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
For those using high impedance headphones the good news is that the new 14in and 16in Macs support them natively via the new headphone jack, so there should be no need for an external amplifier....

I didn't know this..

I usually have to use a fio Headphone amp with my headphones.

So that's the only thing with the version I have but I also got it for an unusually low price of 6800TT os no worries.

Current retail in Trinidad is 11,500TT so I'm a happy camper.

I load the VSTs to a Samsung T7 ssd and I'm good to go.

Considering upgrading my amp though.

anyways as said before the m1 is a powerhouse I don't think u can go wrong with it

If finances permit however go to town with he mini led m1pro Macs by all means.

Happy shopping.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by napilopez
Even without native support for apple silicon, M1 is a beast. And I saw this as a jealous staunch windows person. I find it unlikely that even through rosetta you would have serious issues. But yeah, if you have the budget you could get extra slack with the new MacBook Pro.

I've been there lol...

Don't worry AMD should rescue windows soon with their 5nm processors in the works.

I'm a windows guy too. Was anti Mac for years until I got my first iPhone.. and then got into the piano software .

Still though Microsoft has come a long way.
Particularly with their precision touch pads, and the push for quality hardware among computer brands. as well as aesthetics and premium experience feel . Windows interface and everything has improved vastly over the years.

and ASIO4ALL is pretty amazing for low latency on windows.

anyways let me stop myself before I get into this I won't shut up.

Good luck with the shopping smile

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johanibraaten
I guess an intel Mac is the best bet for a trouble free experience but that can change in the near future and I think there are other drawbacks with buying a new intel Mac now.

(emphasis mine)

Yes, I wouldn't recommend purchasing an Intel Mac at this late stage - especially not after the recent M1 Pro/Max MacBook announcements.

For what it's worth, I have a M1 MacBook Air (16GB), and strongly believe it to be the best laptop I've ever owned.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
One detail... When I advocated for an Intel MacBook, based on my experience on an old iMac, I was considering used ones, so I said "any recent Intel MacBook"

If it is a new acquisition, M1 is the way to go, IMHO

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
OldSoul Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies. I have a person who would sell me a Macbook 13 "pro bought for two months, i5, 16gb, 1tb for 1600 euros. Is it okay or better to buy another model? Maybe we make an exchange, I give him my ipad pro mtxn2ty / a (64gb / wifi) purchased in 2019 + 1000 euros. Is it a valid proposal or not?

Or maybe it is better, as some of you said, to invest in an m1, but which model and how much ram? Money money money 😁

Petrof P125 * Roland LX 706 * Pianoteq 8 - Grand Steinway B & D - Petrof - Steingraeber - U4 - Grand K2 // Garritan - CFX // Vsl - B.Upright - D.274 // Addictive Keys - Modern Upright // ViLabs - Modern U // Kontakt - Noire - The Grandeur - The Gentleman // Production Voices - Production Grand 2
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I bought an apple return M1 Mac Mini 8GB for $600. It runs Garritan *flawlessly* at 64 buffer. And it's completely silent, mounted to the DP to hide it, and I have it turned on 24/7 and headless, and currently it's running uptime is 40-50 days straight.

There's nothing better, for simplicity, imo. Plus, the fact that it is running Garritan in Intel emulation far better than my eng-spec i7 MBP15 just blows my mind.

I have a thread about my decision and setup here:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...-trouble-free-garritan-cfx-computer.html

Dunno about VSL, but if I were running that VST is probably get the 16GB version to be safe?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Buy this one:

Apple MacBook Pro M1 Max
64GB RAM
8TB Storage

It is $7700CAD. My blood type is AB so the chances are very little if I can afford one selling my kidney...

*** Forgot to include tax: $8800CAD, the government also wants a portion of the kidney money...

Last edited by Abdol; 10/21/21 10:46 AM.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by OldSoul
Thanks for the replies. I have a person who would sell me a Macbook 13 "pro bought for two months, i5, 16gb, 1tb for 1600 euros. Is it okay or better to buy another model? Maybe we make an exchange, I give him my ipad pro mtxn2ty / a (64gb / wifi) purchased in 2019 + 1000 euros. Is it a valid proposal or not?

Or maybe it is better, as some of you said, to invest in an m1, but which model and how much ram? Money money money 😁

Man I don't know what year is this 13 pro, but at that price you are not very far from an entry level 14in Macbook pro new... which has 16GB RAM, a M1 pro that runs circles around that i5 and 512GB of (much faster) storage (plus, much better speakers, screen, battery life, camera + a SD card reader) and probably also much quieter... Plus the integrated amplifier.

If you want to spend less, get a M1 MacBook air, still much better than the i5, for much less than that. I would avoid any Intel Mac, and even more so in case it's one with the very problematic butterfly keyboard....

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
+1 on everything Digitalguy said.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
OldSoul Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the help and advice.!
Honestly, if the air is okay, I would buy this and save some money. I am a Windows user since the days of time, now with my 47 years, I want to try macos, an idea that I have already for several years, the moment seems right to me with the m1.
If all goes well I would take the basic version with ssd 512, the doubt and the ram from 8 or 16?
If the air does not go well then I will take the pro base, but towards Christmas.
Thanks for the info and help.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Honestly, if the air is okay, I would buy this and save some money. I am a Windows user since the days of time, now with my 47 years, I want to try macos, an idea that I have already for several years, the moment seems right to me with the m1.
If all goes well I would take the basic version with ssd 512, the doubt and the ram from 8 or 16?
If the air does not go well then I will take the pro base, but towards Christmas.
Personally I would get the 16GB RAM version for peace of mind.
Like you I was and still am a Windows user since Windows 3.11... (and DOS user before that) and while I have also had a old MacBook air as a secondary device, I now have a M1 Mac mini (16GB/1TB) and will probably buy the new air coming next year (I want something lighter than the current to replace my 11in air, and the M2 air is rumored to be quite a bit lighter and more compact). But M1 is a beast and works well with any piano.

OldSoul Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
Personally I would get the 16GB RAM version for peace of mind.
Like you I was and still am a Windows user since Windows 3.11... (and DOS user before that) and while I have also had a old MacBook air as a secondary device, I now have a M1 Mac mini (16GB/1TB) and will probably buy the new air coming next year (I want something lighter than the current to replace my 11in air, and the M2 air is rumored to be quite a bit lighter and more compact). But M1 is a beast and works well with any piano.

Many thanks Digitalguy for all the info and help !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission