2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
35 members (cygnusdei, dima5222, Emily2Lame, 13bwl, CraiginNZ, blueviewlaguna., Carey, Evgeny 85, AnnaF, 6 invisible), 975 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by calebsmum
Thanks Lotus,
He's been playing for about 3 years now on an entry Casio 66 key keyboard, so he's ready for an upgrade for sure. He wants an acoustic or a console with 3 pedals. Due to moving quite a bit I'd prefer a digital, although acoustic would be grand. smile I'll take a look at your suggestions, some of which I'm familiar with but couldn't decide between. thank you.

You don't have to have a console to get three pedals. Some fairly portable digital pianos have dedicated stands with 3-pedal units:

https://www.kawai-global.com/product/es920/

The piano is about 37 lbs when lifted off the stand, making it a good choice for ease of moving.

The MP11SE comes with a 3-pedal unit that rests on the floor. It requires auxilliary powered speakers/monitors and stand for the piano, which may be a bit unwieldy, but it has a very good action for a portable digital piano, comparable or superior to many console digital pianos.

C
OP Offline
C
Sweelinck, I believe it was the Kawai Ca79.
Lotus, thank you again for all of your help, I truly appreciate it! I'm leaning towards a category 2, but (and I know this might be unusual) I REALLY don't want one with bluetooth, and most of the new ones appear to have that feature. smirk

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
You can turn off the bluetooth. Its main purpose is wireless midi communication such as if you want to play a VST piano on a tablet or smartphone or laptop using the piano as a midi controller. Not having to use a cable from the piano to the tablet/phone frees up the data/charging port to use for digital audio out or a charging cable.

If you have a digital piano without midi over bluetooth there are bluetooth FOBs that plug into a midi port on the piano, so I would not make having bluetooth a mandatory requirement. However, it will be useful over the life of the piano, so I would not try to avoid the feature.

Being able to run midi to a piano engine on a tablet or laptop will extend the life of the piano-- 5-10 years from now you can use a VST piano to have a more current digital piano sound.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
The actuon and sound engine of a MP11SE is similar to a CA79, but the CA79 is a step up: Grand Feel III action in the CA79 vs Grand Feel action in the MP11SE; and SK-EX and HI-XL piano engines are in the CA79, but only the HI-XL engine is in the MP11SE.

Nonetheless, I think there are alot of similarities. The MP11SE does not include an amp or speakers or stand so it is a bit more complex of a configuration, but slso much more portable.

The ES920 has virtually the same piano rngine as the MP11SE (both are HI-XL, but a minor feature or two may have been added to the ES920). The RHIII action of the ES920 is a step down from the Grand Feel action of the MP11SE. The ES920 is much more portable, and has amp and speakers built in.

L
L
Calebsmum, most manufacturers nowadays have an app that controls settings and adds features to their digital pianos. The app, running on a phone, is linked to the piano via Bluetooth or a cable.

You don't have to use the app -- with or without Bluetooth -- to simply play the piano. It is just for convenient control of settings or features without adding more buttons and knobs to the piano itself. Even if these tech features are of no use to you, they may help with resale value later.

Please be aware of the unusual inventory situation at present due to supply chain disruptions. I just looked at Kraft Music's and Sweetwater's websites and found the Kawai ES920, Roland FP90X and Yamaha P-515 to be out of stock.

You may want to call them and other retailers to get an idea when they will be available, as this may affect your choice of one model over another, especially if you have a set purchase date in mind.
All the best!
Lotus

Last edited by Lotus1; 10/20/21 10:10 PM.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Lotus1
Please be aware of the unusual inventory situation at present due to supply chain disruptions. I just looked at Kraft Music's and Sweetwater's websites and found the Kawai ES920, Roland FP90X and Yamaha P-515 to be out of stock.

You may want to call them and other retailers to get an idea when they will be available, as this may affect your choice of one model over another, especially if you have a set purchase date in mind.
All the best!
Lotus

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
C
OP Offline
C
Steve Chandler, have you received your new kawai and what is your opinion?
Thanks!

C
OP Offline
C
well, that figures. I'm moving and don't know into what, so I decided on the Kawai ES8 based on excellent reviews and portability. Now I find out I can't find one because they've been replaced. arrghhh...Does anyone recommend something similar? the Es 520 and 920 don't seem to have the same great reviews and they also are more 'stage' oriented than we want.

M
M
well, that figures. I'm moving and don't know into what, so I decided on the Kawai ES8 based on excellent reviews and portability. Now I find out I can't find one because they've been replaced. arrghhh...Does anyone recommend something similar? the Es 520 and 920 don't seem to have the same great reviews and they also are more 'stage' oriented than we want.

They replaced ES8 and widened the range with two pianos instead of one.
Other competitor are Roland FP90 And Yamaha P515. Cheaper is Roland FP60.

Roland now should be fp60x but I am not sure whether fp90 has X also (X are never versions).

Look also at Dexibell company.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

The ES8 replacement is the ES920. Here's a review I wrote of it:
https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/review-kawai-es920/

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
C
OP Offline
C
thanks Maucycy and terminaldegree. I really prefer the more streamlined, piano look of the es8 over the bulkier, stage keyboard look of the es920, and I know he will too. He wants something as close to an acoustic as possible, and all of the add ons don't quite capture that. smirk Maybe I'll take another look at the es520.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Note that the ES520 action is worse than the ES920 and ES8.

The ES920 is not bulkier looking than the ES8 at all-- I had both set up, side by side, in my living room when I wrote that Piano Buyer review. It is different looking, with more plastic and less metal. It has the same action as the ES8 and slightly better speakers.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
A
A
Sorry, had to say my brain misunderstood the thread title to mean that a piano was searching for it's teenage son, like broken English in a dramatic movie scene, with all the other pianos in the forest piano tribe looking to their piano leader for guidance, and him assuring them that he will indeed search for the missing teenage piano.

Pixar, are you listening?

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by An Old Square
Sorry, had to say my brain misunderstood the thread title to mean that a piano was searching for it's teenage son, like broken English in a dramatic movie scene, with all the other pianos in the forest piano tribe looking to their piano leader for guidance, and him assuring them that he will indeed search for the missing teenage piano.

Now THAT is Academy Award material !!!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carey

thumb ha ha ha

J
J
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
Originally Posted by Lotus1

All the best!
Lotus

Hi, i sold my ES920 due to loud keyboard across the entire keyboard. It's unacceptable loud when im doing live recording. With heardphone? I still notice. And replaced with Roland FP-90X.

All the best.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by Carey

thumb ha ha ha

Finding Nemo, featuring pianos instead of fish? wink

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

C
OP Offline
C
thank you jojovan! Good to know.
anoldsquare... ha ha ha laugh

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Note that the ES520 action is worse than the ES920 and ES8.

The ES920 is not bulkier looking than the ES8 at all-- I had both set up, side by side, in my living room when I wrote that Piano Buyer review. It is different looking, with more plastic and less metal. It has the same action as the ES8 and slightly better speakers.

Hmmm.... it looked quite different in the pics. He just doesn't want one that looks like a stage keyboard.

J
J
thank you jojovan! Good to know.
anoldsquare... ha ha ha laugh

I meab loud keybed (typo error on previous post). But sounded really good esp the warm SK. Have fun.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai K500 or Yamaha U3 new?
by Gustavor90 - 01/29/22 02:39 AM
Kawai K500 or Kawai GL10?
by Gustavor90 - 01/29/22 02:23 AM
Baldwin Hamilton 5028
by jolizzy - 01/28/22 10:41 PM
Grand Feel Compact Slip Tape
by JacksonTree - 01/28/22 09:31 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,415
Posts3,164,889
Members104,200
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission