2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,109 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Evalon Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hi All,

It has been a while but I am now about to resume my joy in playing the piano. And, to this end, I am considering replacing my current Korg DP-2000 with a more up-to-date piano with 88 keys (the DP-2000 has 76 keys).

However, I most likely will be playing via my PC using Galaxy Pianos (I absolutely adore the Vienna Grand Bösendorfer) so I mainly need a piano that has lifelike piano mechanics and is capable of outputting either midi or USB. Years ago I remember the Yamaha CLP-990 being such a piano, yet it is some years back by now so maybe there is a more current digital piano with such mechanics?

Admittedly I am not looking for a very costly piano - USD 500 to 600 would be a maximum and second-hand is fine.

I would appreciate your inputs wink

Cheers,

Jesper

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Hi Evalon!

The Yamaha CLP-990 was a brilliant piano, both regarding action and sound system. Unfortunately Yamaha abandoned this action type in the clavinovas. I think the Kawai GF actions or Casio grand hybrids are the closest you get with current models. Of course Yamaha and Kawai have their hybrid pianos, but that’s fully blown acoustic piano actions with a different price tag that comes with it…

Last edited by johanibraaten; 10/22/21 03:26 PM.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
E
Evalon Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hi johanibraaten ;-)

& thanks for your feedback ... I will check out the Kawai & Casios and then consider things. As it is there's currently a CLP-990 available in Germany but it is a 750 kilometer drive so if I can find an alternative I would prefer this.

Have a good day in Sweden - Jesper

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Evalon
Have a good day in Sweden - Jesper

Thank you, however I'm currently in Germany😊 I tried out the Kawai CA99 today and it was a pleasant surprise I must say. The action is a step up from current generations IMO and the sound of the SK-EX is very good. A pleasant piano experience overall. However, if you don't need built in speakers and mainly use your computer as a sound source maby the Kawai VPC-1 midi controller is a good choice? It also has this type of wooden action although an earlier version but still very nice.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I went the VPC1 route 15 months ago and have never looked back!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
E
Evalon Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Aaahhh, it could be interesting but probably outside of my budget for this unless I can find one very reasonably priced second-hand ... :-( ...

@johanibraaten: Enjoy your travel :-) .. sounds as if you could be travelling to buy a piano ... ?

Cheers, Jesper

Last edited by Evalon; 10/23/21 01:38 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission