2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (Boboulus, cygnusdei, AprilE, BravoRomeo, 88/10, dima5222, 11 invisible), 962 guests, and 574 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
CAMLOC Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi guys, I have been stuck to this question for over a week now, and I couldn't decide so I thought if I could get some help here:

Current situation: My son is 11 yo who is a serious pianist also a music scholar. We have a Shigeru Kawai SK3 at home. We have a holiday/hobby farm about 1 hour from home. We would like to have a piano there so when we are over there like Christmas or school holiday he can stay there for long. Previously, we had to drive home, get him to practise then go back or stay there for a few days without practising.

The decision to make: a used piano KX-21 $2500 AUD, US50 around 5k AUD, or brand new k300 - around 7k AUD or K500 - around 11k AUD.

We don't exactly sure how long we will spend there in a year, but this is mainly for future proof, you know you can't get a piano overnight.

We don't want to spend too much but also wants to get one for his needs and this purpose.

PS: We also currently have a Dexibell Vivo S7 Pro Stage piano (Brand new), would this work? He doesn't like the digital piano feel and action BTW. If anyone in Sydney is interested, Happy to discuss selling it.

Many thanks!!

Shigeru Kawai SK3
Dexibell Vivo S7 Pro
Lego Grand Piano 21323
C
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
C
As $ seems to be no issue, maybe let your son decide? Some who tried both K-300 and K-500 have noted a significant difference in the touch, so I recommend actually trying these pianos rather than having one mail ordered (although that, too, has happened recently).

A rising tide lifts all the boats
C
CAMLOC Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Money is definitely an issue as we don't want to spend too much. Up to K500 is fine, but less the better given it can serve the purpose.
He tried all the new ones, but doesn't like any. I guess when he "downgrade" from an sk3 to an upright, he wouldn't like any, but that's not the point. The point is we need A piano, so he can happily stay there and doesn't get behind on his practice.

Shigeru Kawai SK3
Dexibell Vivo S7 Pro
Lego Grand Piano 21323
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
If you have room for a GL-10, he would find the action closer to what he's used to on his SK-3 because it's a grand as opposed to an upright. In the US the GL-10 sells for about the same as a K-500. You'd be giving up some sound quality, the K-500 sounds nicer than the GL-10.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So being in Australian climate control should not be an issue.Well any good used accoustic should be fine.In fact a good digital should be fine as well.

My piano's voice is my voice to the great unknown, out there..in other words a hymn.That is all but that is enough.

Just sold my old C2 and am thinking of replacing it with a CBechstein124, Schimmel K132 or a YUS5.
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I don't normally recommend digitals having a distinct preference for acoustics myself but for your situation where you are leaving the piano unattended for long periods and the primary purpose is practice only by a serious student when on vacation I would get my son to go and play some of the hybrid digitals with real keyboards *using headphones so the sound isn't too unrealistic* and find one that has an action he is happy with. I think that would be a more practical solution - unless your son comes up with something like "these all dreadful, I'd much rather have one of these uprights than that".

R
R
Kawai has a digital piano with the action of their GX series grand. The NV10S. They also have an upright version with a true Millennium III action just like their K300/K500. If this is for a weekend or vacation home I would look into these instruments. No tuning needed and the touch would be as close to an acoustic you can get. https://kawaius.com/pianos/hybrid/ Yamaha has this also, N1X, but since you mentioned the Kawai I thought I'd bring it up.

Last edited by RayR3004; 10/29/21 09:09 AM.
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, The NV10s will feel very much like the SK3 and sound "somewhat" the same. The price will be comparable to the K500. It has a lot of advantages in that it will not be affected by climate and won't need tuning.

Last edited by ˆTomLCˆ; 10/29/21 04:29 PM.

Kawai NV10
S
S
From what i read (never played a Kawai) the K300 has a less heavy action and of course less bass but also smaller and cheaper, the choice is yours.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
it would be good for discipline to get him a semidecent piano he doesn't particularly like . . . in future he'll play plenty of those if he's learnt on a Shigeru.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
B
B
For those couple of days I would buy a Digitalpiano. You save money and are able to practice. I think being able to practice is the main point. No service necessary, no tuning, lower pricetag.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
it would be good for discipline to get him a semidecent piano he doesn't particularly like . . . in future he'll play plenty of those if he's learnt on a Shigeru.
Good point. The young man already has regular access to a top tier home instrument that many adult players (amateur and professional) would love to own. If the secondary piano is only going to be used a total of 2-3 weeks per year, the family would be better off (from a maintenance and cost standpoint) purchasing a Kawai CA79 digital piano - with SK-EX Concert Grand sounds and Grand Feel III Wooden Key Action. With such limited use that piano should last many years without any problems - and you won't need to worry about the cost of tuning, etc. Of course, you need electricity to run it. smile

https://kawaius.com/product/ca79/

I own a 7 foot M&H semi concert grand, a Kawai K500 and a Kawai CA65 digital (an earlier version of the CA79). I regularly practice on all of them. Plus the extra bells and whistles on the digital are fun to play with. I primarily use headphones with the CA65 and the sound is fine.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
P
P
Originally Posted by CAMLOC
Hi guys, I have been stuck to this question for over a week now, and I couldn't decide so I thought if I could get some help here:

Current situation: My son is 11 yo who is a serious pianist also a music scholar. We have a Shigeru Kawai SK3 at home. We have a holiday/hobby farm about 1 hour from home. We would like to have a piano there so when we are over there like Christmas or school holiday he can stay there for long. Previously, we had to drive home, get him to practise then go back or stay there for a few days without practising.

The decision to make: a used piano KX-21 $2500 AUD, US50 around 5k AUD, or brand new k300 - around 7k AUD or K500 - around 11k AUD.

We don't exactly sure how long we will spend there in a year, but this is mainly for future proof, you know you can't get a piano overnight.

We don't want to spend too much but also wants to get one for his needs and this purpose.

PS: We also currently have a Dexibell Vivo S7 Pro Stage piano (Brand new), would this work? He doesn't like the digital piano feel and action BTW. If anyone in Sydney is interested, Happy to discuss selling it.

Many thanks!!

Given how good your son has been described. Prob skip the digital. Stay acoustic.

The us50 would prob make sense. If you can neg it down further even better. It's prob roughly comparable closer to the K500, even K800 in terms of upper end of Kawai's stack. Of course Kawai makes significant improvements over the course of time. So won't compare actual perf. But more about the right ballpark of quality. The K300 might newer but are tradeoffs in terms of size, depth. Your son might not enjoy given what he's used to at home. And you're paying more.

Assuming it's in good condition. And your other home isn't too moist/near the coast. It's mostly depreciated so you won't have too much further downside.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
I think a digital would be a better choice for a vacation place.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
N
N
A hammer action digital would avoid any issues with tuning and maintenance, would save money, and would have a reasonable feel. The biggest issue is lower dynamic range so a suggestion I’ve heard for serious players is to turn it up loud … helps make sure they are still working on a light touch for quieter passes. Otherwise everything sounds the same.

G
G
Uh ... what? Not sure if serious.

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Good price for new Shigeru SK-2?
by yli030 - 11/29/21 11:17 PM
Roland Juno DS using samples
by DaveII - 11/29/21 06:14 PM
Where to buy this piano bench?
by cesardeon - 11/29/21 06:13 PM
Unison smear
by RonTuner - 11/29/21 04:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,309
Posts3,149,660
Members103,465
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission